Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer: No, well, sorta.

Depending on the division I'm either running an M&P 9 (Production) or an Edge (Limited).

A couple different M&Ps (depending on the day or work being done) or a small revolver are usually in carry rotation.

There's been a little bit of a learning curve in working the thumb safety back into my competiton mindset under stress but for the most part the transition from big auto to "duty" auto to "compact" auto to small revo hasn't been an issue.

I make a point to make a distinction in my mind and in my training between gun games and defensive carry.

Carry guns: Tauras 905, SA XD 9mm subcompact, Ruger security 6, Berretta 92G.

Game guns: SA XD9 SC, XD9,40- 5",XDm40, 1911(9mm,45), S&W 610,625,686, Beretta 92G, Ruger security 6, P85.

Yea, I shoot what ever I grab out of the gun safe and never have had isssue with switching platforms, they are all good.

Game gun: Glock 34

Carry guns: Glock 21 and 26 depending on how I'm going to be dressed. The 21 is actually easier to conceal than most would think, but there are some occasions when I just don't feel like dealing with that giant stuck to my hip all day.

I find that by keeping the basic platform the same that the skills transfer nicely from game gun to carry rig regardless of the size of the pistols.

Carry Guns - 9mm 1911 Commander, .45 1911 Government, Glock 19

Game Guns - The same plus a 4" K-Frame S&W Revolver

While I agree that practicing with your gaming gun is a lot more fun, I think you should also carve out sometime to practice with your carry gun. A good way I have found to do this is by making sure every time I holster up my carry gun I spend at least enough time to do 10 draws from my holster with whatever clothes I am wearing that day. (of course I make sure I am unloaded first.) It doesn't take anytime and at the end of the year, I probably have about 4,000 draws I would not have otherwise.

I shoot Open 2011. I bought a G19 for carry but I actually prefer to carry the gun I bought for my wife, Ruger LCR with CT. Small, lightweight.

Sarge, bring that to one of the C-ville Steel Challenge matches this coming year. There will probably be about a dozen of us running J-frame sized guns for trigger time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just switched from production to limited (G34 to a 2011) but will always carry the G26. My personal opinion is that it is one of the best all around carry guns available. The idea of using the same platform is a good one, but not always practical or realistic. I think by far the MOST IMPORTANT thing is whichever carry gun you decide is best...you had better dedicate some time and effort into becoming proficient with it.

I tried carrying an XDM but I changed it up to carrying an LCP now.

XDM 3.8 was borderline too thick in summer clothes on my smaller frame. I found myself leaving it behind because of the inconvenience and i didn't want it printing. I'm not the biggest fan of a .380 round... but my theory is that I am better off with the .380 on my body than the .40 sitting at home because it was too thick!

Edited by Silver4.6

I shoot a custom Limited Pistol or a SS, I carry a J frame.

I carried a 5" 1911 and two mags for 25 years and never got close to a gunfight.

I'm home in bed by 10 most nights, don't go to strip clubs and since I gave up dealing drugs, my "might-be-in-a-gunfight" chances seem to be less and less.

Although, there are times and places where I still break out the 1911 for carry.

Silver4.6, if you don't mind my asking, what type of CCW holster were you using with the 40? The reason I ask is because I have an M&P .40 FS that I carry. I am 6'2" 165 lbs (stop laughing) and couldn't carry that gun without a large jacket until I got a good IWB holster (Crossbreed QuickClip for me). Now it only prints if I'm wearing just a tshirt AND I bend over or squat down. I wear business casual every day with my button down tucked in over the gun. There is no way you would know I'm carrying.

I tried carrying an XDM but I changed it up to carrying an LCP now.

XDM 3.8 was borderline too thick in summer clothes on my smaller frame. I found myself leaving it behind because of the inconvenience and i didn't want it printing. I'm not the biggest fan of a .380 round... but my theory is that I am better off with the .380 on my body than the .40 sitting at home because it was too thick!

So in keeping with the thread, I shoot my M&P 40 full size in IDPA SSP and USPSA Production, 3G very soon, and I carry it everywhere I go. I am married to the idea - especially for a fairly new shooter like myself - of absolutely immersing oneself in learning to run/maintain/load for one gun or at the very least one platform. It has helped me improve a lot faster than I ever expected. Muscle memory is a huge help (as long as you're doing the right things) or can be a huge downfall for a new shooter/ccw-er. I didn't want to install that speed bump, so I'm a one-gun-man for now. I'll probably be buying the M&P 9L or Pro soon (if I can find mags for it) for use in competition and having the 40 as my EDC gun. Great thread. I've enjoyed reading everybody's opinions on this one.

Edited by pointofimpact

I have an STI Edge in 40 and an STI Trojan in 40 for games, the rounds are easier to reload (small rifle primers same as 223) and find brass for. To carry I have a Kimber Raptor II in 45 ACP (the round that one WWII so I was told as a kid) or a Ruger LCR.

• 2 weeks later...