Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

I've been a casual shooter most of my life, and have recently gotten into 3 gun competitions over the past couple years. Pistol is the weakest part of my game.

I'm finally sending my CCW paperwork in this week, and just finished reading a couple Massad Ayoob books pertaining to the subject of CCW. A couple things I gleaned from the books- he encourages completing with your carry gun, or at very least the same platform, and he encourages triggers for CCW guns to be 4+ lbs.

I currently compete with a STI Edge worked by Eddie Jimenea set up for limited. I shoot the edge better than my prior Glock 34, but I did win a local 3 gun last year using the 34. I have a Glock 36 .45 and Walther PPS 9mm for carry. Would it be better to get an STI VIP in .40 for CCW? Or something else? Or switch to a different platform altogether?

I don't expect I'll ever need to use my CCW gun for self defense. But, if the situation does arise, I want to have confidence in the gun knowing that the practice and competition with my limited gun directly applies to my carry gun. Honesty I don't expect to do much practicing with a CCW gun. Natural POI, trigger feel, recoil management- I'm guessing the more of that that is the same, the better.

2011 shooters, what do y'all carry for CCW?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also shoot an Edge in Limited and have been shopping for a Sig P238/938 to stay with the 1911 platform. Was carrying a Taurus 709 but have decided to go with what I know. There is definitely something to be said for muscle memory in an emergency situation. I wish I had the size to carry a bigger gun but my frame won't hide anything bigger than a sub-compact.

Currently shoot a CZ shadow and carry a CZ PCR or a J-frame. When I shoot my Single stack I'll still probably carry those guns as well. If there is more manipulation to the carry gun than what you shoot more you might want to look very hard at your carry gun.

I try to always stick with the same platform. Used to compete with 2011's and carry a 1911 on duty. During my break in competitive shooting I switched to the glock for duty for various reasons. Now that I'm back I've been shooting a glock 34. I have an STI Tactical on order now. If it can run reliable enough for duty carry, I'll compete/carry it and get a VIP or Total eclipse for off duty use. If not, I'll just suck it up and stick with the glocks. I always feel much more comfortable sticking with the same platform.

I carry a G23 and am now shooting a G35 for USPSA Limited

Both use the same ammo, and holster, so it works out well. I also use the G23 as a back up gun for competition. It actually shoots pretty well, the 35 is just a little easier on the longer shots.

rg

I usually carry a small 1911. I don't think it's necessary for it to be a double stack, and in fact, I'd have to have a lot of confidence in a 2011 to carry one. But the 1911 carries fine.

I have considered switching to an M&P for carry, but for now, my baby 1911 is just fine.

I used to compete with a Glock and carry a 1911. I was doing some CCW practice one day and forgot to take the safety off the 1911. It was an eye opener for me and I started carrying a Glock.

Yea I have always said its ok to carry a Glock and compete with a 1911 because you will wipe a safety off on the Glock that is not there however the inverse can get you killed.

I compete mostly with 1911's and I carry Glocks. I also compete with Glocks in IDPA.

Pat

I shoot a glock 35 for everything. If i shoot Prod, Lim or lim 10, IDPA or 3 gun. I open carry a glock 23, if i need to carry concealed i go with a ruger LCP. I do shoot both carry guns on occasional practice days though. I try to run at least 200 rounds through the LCP every year, and i shoot the glock 23 frequently. The glock i shoot well, recoil is just a little stouter then the 35. The LCP is a different story, its a stark reminder of its/my limitations with that pistol.

I would definatly avoid shooting a safe action gun in competition then switching to a gun with a saftey for carry. I can only imagine in the stress of the situation that would turn out bad.

Not a 2011 shooter, but yep.

CZ shadow or 1911. On the CZ side, my adj. sight Shadow is the gamer gun, the fixed sight Shadow is the carry and gamer backup. On the 1911 side, the TRP pulls double duty until I can acquire another 1911. Unfortunately, I keep dumping all my gun money into the berm.

I'm a big fan of the carry what you shoot and shoot what you carry concept.

For many years, I shot my Sam Browne duty rig, level 3 retention holster and all. Then I shot the Gov't Model 1911 I carried every day from CCW holsters, just without the jacket.

Now I shoot an M&P and my carry gun is a Glock 20 (big, wooly, angry things live up here). The idea of keeping things similar has real merits if someday your cue to draw and fire is not a buzzer.

My two cents

Mark

Edited by redial

Such beauties you have there Trace. The best thing is they shoot better than they look!

I am waiting to receive my 6" SV, and I also have a carry gun on order from SV. The guns are very close in the ways that matter, just configured for their individual jobs. I am a person that needs consistency in platforms. I cannot shoot 20K+/year through one type of gun and carry and expect to be proficiency with another, just not how my brain works.

Edited by apollo11

Primary competition guns are Limited/Open 2011's. Carry gun is a Glock 23; idiot proof. The gun is boring reliable and all you got to do is load it and press the trigger when applicable. No manual safeties to dick around with when the time comes. Not real found of Glocks but they are great tools. Even if I could carry a 2011 I still wouldn't.