Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

I compete with an SP-01 and carry the alloy compact. I did use to carry a Kahr... but I could just never shoot them as well as I could since they were so different from my competition gun. I tried a stopgap with a hammer fired steel gun by way of a Bersa 380 - and I loved that thing. But back to the whole ergos and what I could shoot well, the CZ compact just made a whole lot more sense. I also use it when I occasionally shoot IDPA for fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I love using USPSA to drive my improvement in technical skills for self-defense. Since that's what it's all about (and fun) I shoot near-identical rigs in both carry and USPSA. I shoot a Gen3 G34 with my carry rig from concealment in USPSA (Limited.) I actually use a separate practice/competition gun rather than my carry gun so all the wear and tear goes into the practice/comp gun. The guns are identical except for the sights. Sights are the one thing I enjoy experimenting with on my practice/comp gun, whereas my carry gun has night sights. It's cool to see how many others here use the same or similar gear for competition and carry. I get a lot of confidence from dealing with the pressures and challenges of competition with my carry gear.

Hey, seeing as we might actually soon have rights here in IL...what kind of holster do you use for your G34?

I love using USPSA to drive my improvement in technical skills for self-defense. Since that's what it's all about (and fun) I shoot near-identical rigs in both carry and USPSA. I shoot a Gen3 G34 with my carry rig from concealment in USPSA (Limited.) I actually use a separate practice/competition gun rather than my carry gun so all the wear and tear goes into the practice/comp gun. The guns are identical except for the sights. Sights are the one thing I enjoy experimenting with on my practice/comp gun, whereas my carry gun has night sights. It's cool to see how many others here use the same or similar gear for competition and carry. I get a lot of confidence from dealing with the pressures and challenges of competition with my carry gear.

Hey, seeing as we might actually soon have rights here in IL...what kind of holster do you use for your G34?

The Keeper, from Keepers Concealment. I love it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to carry a Glock 19 and compete with a Glock 34. Now I use the same CZ 75BD for both, although I will "soon" be setting up an identical BD in order to put the wear and tear on the spare gun and keep the carry gun in newer condition

I carry a glock 21 for duty, shield 9mm for back up, glock 23 off duty, and compete with a glock 35. I really want a STI Edge but will not buy one until I retire. I have experienced training deficiencies when trying to operate different operating systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

bought a 2011 VIP for carry to 'match' my 2011 comp gun. Now I just need to start carrying it.

I find myself carrying my little .380 pea shooter pocket gun more often than the others...

I carry a G23 and am now shooting a G35 for USPSA Limited

Both use the same ammo, and holster, so it works out well. I also use the G23 as a back up gun for competition. It actually shoots pretty well, the 35 is just a little easier on the longer shots.

rg

+1 here, I carry and shoot the same. Recently I'm only using the G23 for IDPA and using the G35 for USPSA. works out well.

I prefer to stay with the same 'platforms' for competition and carry.

G34 with DK trigger, 13# Tungsen recoil spring for competition, KKM barrel

G19 with 'polished' stock trigger and 15# S/S Recoil spring, stock barrel but plan to replace with KKM

I compete and carry mostly Glocks. Sometimes I switch it up and toss in a 1911 or a random DA/SA gun at a match or at the range. Hasn't ever caused any real problems. Plus its fun to run something different from time to time.

competition: G34 w/ warren/sevigny sights (FO front)

carry: G19 w/ warren/sevigny night-sights or J-frame.

Shot the 2012 IN Section w/ the G19... no real change in performance...

When I was shooting open a lot (2011) I had a 1911 for carry. Sold the 1911, so I guess that means no more open? :(

-rvb

Edited by rvb