Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compete with a S&W 9 Pro C.O.R.E. does not have a safety on side. My carry gun is a S&W M&P 9mm C

The are so similar could shoot and feel at home with either. Being a retired cop, I do feel I know the difference.

Here is my Open Toy

I compete with a S&W 9 Pro C.O.R.E. does not have a safety on side. My carry gun is a S&W M&P 9mm C

The are so similar could shoot and feel at home with either. Being a retired cop, I do feel I know the difference.

Here is my Open Toy

Ken, I like it!!

I use an XD Tactical and my "carry" gun is an M&P Shield. The XDs wasn't out in 9mm at the time of purchase, otherwise I'd probably have gotten that.

Considering going to an M&P Pro just to have a similar feel. Or snatching up one of the recalled XDs when they get back from SA.

No way I'd carry a $3k pistol as a primary CCW! My carry guns are subject to taking a few knocks and weather exposure, not to mention the abuse one might take in an evidence locker. I compete with 1911s and Glocks and carry a PF9 or Glock 19/36. When running a single action after shooting Glocks for a few months, I have to retrain myself on the safety when going back to 1911s,

No way I'd carry a $3k pistol as a primary CCW! My carry guns are subject to taking a few knocks and weather exposure, not to mention the abuse one might take in an evidence locker. I compete with 1911s and Glocks and carry a PF9 or Glock 19/36. When running a single action after shooting Glocks for a few months, I have to retrain myself on the safety when going back to 1911s,

Its not a CCW, its my duty gun. As for the evidence locker, I'd have it back in a week unless I committed a crime. I'm currently carrying a G30 off duty, but I'm hoping for a M&P Shield this week for my Anniversary :goof:

Compete with a 9mm X-5 Allround:

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNTAyLTAwMjYwLmpwZw_zps

Carry a 9mm P229R:

IMG_00000053_edit_zps40c1d602.jpg

The weight is a bit different, as the X-5 is all stainless, but otherwise they feel pretty similar in the hand.

Edited by JAFO

I am amending my previous statement since I have changed my carry and comp pistols in the last year.

I carry a full size 1911 and compete USPSA and IDPA with the same pistol. The only difference is in USPSA I run a DA belt system OWB, IDPA I run my carry gun belt but most of the time use a OWB holster, and for carry I use a IWB holster. Soon, I am going to run the IWB holster for a few club matches just to see what I can do with my carry rig.

First gun was a S&W PC1911 Bobtail, but didn't like the whole cocked and locked with safety stuff. Felt like I was doing too much fumbling, and never could get a consistent hold on it.

Got an M&P CORE to play with (based on best grip ergonomics and fit), and now I've switched to this platform for everything.

M&P CORE 9L for Production USPSA and Steel.

M&P Pro 40L for Limited USPSA.

M&P Pro 9 (FS) for IDPA and APM.

M&P Shield 9 for C-Carry.

Once you polish the trigger bar, tweak the loop, change the Striker block and springs, these are consistent shooters. Not as accurate as the STI platforms apparently, but simple and cheap for "run and gun".

I would agree that "best case" you would train with the same gun you carry.

However, the best gun in a fight is the gun you have on you. What I mean by that is that if you are going to carry then you should commit to carrying all the time. I find that I rarely carry my Commander, although that's why I bought it. I almost never carry my sig 229 although that's why I bought it. But I always carry my Kel-Tec Pf9. Its small, it doesn't weigh very much, and I always have it.

Better to have the wrong gun than to not have the right gun. Just my two cents.

I love using USPSA to drive my improvement in technical skills for self-defense. Since that's what it's all about (and fun) I shoot near-identical rigs in both carry and USPSA. I shoot a Gen3 G34 with my carry rig from concealment in USPSA (Limited.) I actually use a separate practice/competition gun rather than my carry gun so all the wear and tear goes into the practice/comp gun. The guns are identical except for the sights. Sights are the one thing I enjoy experimenting with on my practice/comp gun, whereas my carry gun has night sights. It's cool to see how many others here use the same or similar gear for competition and carry. I get a lot of confidence from dealing with the pressures and challenges of competition with my carry gear.