Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Plugs

p7fl

I have never done a product review. Been shooting USPSA since 1996 and a CRO for 20 years.

Have always wanted electronic ear plugs. Bought a few and sent them back. I can’t wear headsets, that would be too easy.

On Amazon these popped up as a suggestion. Read the reviews, the average score was a 4 but the reviews were pretty good. Priced with tax at $150.00 I figured give them a try.

Surprised they worked. 4th match today with no issues. Could hold a conversation and run shooters comfortably.

Double the surprise as the Bluetooth took my phone to a whole new level of quality. Best hearing I’ve ever had from a headset and people commented on how much better my outgoing conversation was.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092BQLPJM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

jon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have two pairs of the peltor comtac iii's and absolutely love them. however, I got to try out a pair of AXIL ear buds a couple weekends ago and was honestly impressed. They were the first pair of electric buds that I have ever tried and I may have to may the switch. 

I went for 3M Peltor EEP plugs - basic function, 3 gain settings, rechargeable, no Bluetooth, etc.  With the Skull Screw earpieces they are rated for 30 dB of attenuation, and I believe it - no discomfort shooting a heavily braked .338 Lapua.  I am pleased.  The plain Skull screw plugs attenuate just as well, but I feel closed in after an hour or so.  I can wear the EEPs all day (range or chainsaw) and not feel claustrophobic.  There are occasional sales on Amazon if you can wait for them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 10:22 PM, Ryan67 said:

Did you run any open major guys? I love my electronic ears (peltor comtacs with gel cups) but have never tried any electric inners.

Sorry about the delayed response. Yes, ran Open Shooters with no discomfort.

I’ve tried a few different ear pro options. Sure fires, 3M’s, custom molds, etc. I got the Otto’s last year abs wish I did it sooner. They are, in my opinion, the best out there. Small footprint, 2 levels of dB reduction, and the charging system is similar to AirPods (charge the case and the case charges the ear pro). Higher price tag then most but I bought once and won’t look back. 

44 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

So apparently my insurance will cover custom molded electronic ear pro up to $1000 per ear, per year.  I may have to take the next step....

I know, wish mine did.  I keep checking every year.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, Nathanb said:

I’ve got the Otto noise barrier micros. Absolutely love them. I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to over ears unless I need to double up 

After seeing all the positive reviews of these I decided to grab a pair.  They should be here Monday.  I hope they live up to the hype.

I just wanted to share my experience with Westone DX1.  I shoot USPSA and I’ve  used walker silencer for about 6 months.  They do work as advertised but the issue is having them on for long periods of time, it started to hurt.  Used ear muffs too but hot summer in central cali, no joy.  Finally went with custom mold Westone DX1 could not be happier with them.  When the battery dies pop the old one off and put a new one in, that easy.  

Edited by MC_DO

I've been pleased with the walker silencer 2.0 over the last two shooting seasons, especially since switching to the Comply plugs. 

Just found that my insurance will cover a certain amount for hearing protection so I might look into the westone. 

On 2/18/2022 at 8:15 AM, clw42 said:

After seeing all the positive reviews of these I decided to grab a pair.  They should be here Monday.  I hope they live up to the hype.

Let us know how you like them. I've been running them since I started shooting PCC, 2019. I had one ear bud go bad. Otto asked for the invoice and the whole Otto kit. I sent all info in and received a new pair. Great customer service.

2 minutes ago, WildPete said:

Great customer service.

I was wiping down my OTTOs with Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and it ate away the rubber covers of the buttons.  The OTTOs were not to blame for the rubber failing, yet the replaced them free of charge out of warranty.  Truly rare amazing customer service.  Especially in this day and age.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:26 AM, RangerTrace said:

So apparently my insurance will cover custom molded electronic ear pro up to $1000 per ear, per year.  I may have to take the next step....

Did you just call your insurance and ask if this was covered? I'm guessing yes, but I don't want to wait on hold for an hour and have the call center person have no idea what I'm talking about. 

15 hours ago, andyivan said:

Did you just call your insurance and ask if this was covered? I'm guessing yes, but I don't want to wait on hold for an hour and have the call center person have no idea what I'm talking about. 

I'm assuming just contact your insurance provider and ask about...hearing protection or is it a different angle/direction?

6 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Trace, you will never regret having custom in the ear plugs. Uninterrupted range commands and conversation. I sometimes forget and drive home with them still in. I use the ESP plugs. https://huntinglife.com/esp-shooting-hearing-protection-review/

So, you are saying custom ear plugs cause memory loss?