Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unpopular opinion: cigarettes and cigars at matches

yekcoh

cigarettes and cigars at matches  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should cigarettes and cigars at matches or in an active bay be banned?

• No
    • Yes
    • Maybe

I'm probably gonna receive hate for this...

Let me preface that we are in a free country and anyone should be allowed to smoke whatever they want, without disturbing others, of course.

I think burning/smoking cigarettes and cigars at matches or in an active bay should be banned.

I'd like to think that USPSA/IPSC (action pistol) is a legitimate sport with real athletes requiring agility and high physical performance.

I cannot be the only person to think that cig smoke impedes 100% focus before and during the run. 

When there is no wind, the smoke just stays in the bay, sometimes making others difficult to breathe.

I don't think I've heard of any pro golfers or spectators smoking while at a golf tour...

The worst is when RO's are smoking... Where is the damn etiquette?

Edited by yekcoh

It doesn't bother me at all, cigars are usually the worst but the guys I shoot with who smoke cigars hang towards the back of the bays when smoking.

I don't think an RO should be smoking if actively running shooters, rotate out or smoke in between stages.

I've also never heard anyone complain. Have you voiced your opinions to those around you smoking in a polite manner?

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

It doesn't bother me at all, cigars are usually the worst but the guys I shoot with who smoke cigars hang towards the back of the bays when smoking.

I don't think an RO should be smoking if actively running shooters, rotate out or smoke in between stages.

I've also never heard anyone complain. Have you voiced your opinions to those around you smoking in a polite manner?

asking an RO to stop smoking would probably have a negative impact on scoring as a lot of times things can get highly subjective... I'm fairly confident no cigarette smoker would ever take that request delightfully no matter how polite it is.

I would really like to see someone throw down a badass stage run with a fat stubby cigar clenched in their teeth. 

Personally, I like the smell of a burning cigar, it reminds me of my grandfather.  The taste of a cigar, yuck!  I think the majority of us are old enough to remember when everyone smoked, every restaurant had a smoking section, etc.  We didn't die then, and we won't be hurt now being forced to merely catch the scent of tobacco at an outdoor match.  As long as the RO isn't taking a deep drag and exhaling the smoke in your face with the words "Are you ready, standy", then I think we can all put on our big boy pants and let people make choices that are different from our own preference.  

31 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I would really like to see someone throw down a badass stage run with a fat stubby cigar clenched in their teeth. 

Personally, I like the smell of a burning cigar, it reminds me of my grandfather.  The taste of a cigar, yuck!  I think the majority of us are old enough to remember when everyone smoked, every restaurant had a smoking section, etc.  We didn't die then, and we won't be hurt now being forced to merely catch the scent of tobacco at an outdoor match.  As long as the RO isn't taking a deep drag and exhaling the smoke in your face with the words "Are you ready, standy", then I think we can all put on our big boy pants and let people make choices that are different from our own preference.  

Finally sanity arrives.

I'll keep occasionally lighting my pipe at local matches.

2 hours ago, yekcoh said:

Let me preface that we are in a free country and anyone should be allowed to smoke whatever they want, without disturbing others, of course.

That used to work when not everyone went actively looking for something to be offended or annoyed about

I'd like to think that USPSA/IPSC (action pistol) is a legitimate sport with real athletes which require agility and high physical performance.

I don't think I've heard of any pro golfers or spectators smoking while at a golf tour..

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/crash.net/golfmagic.com/styles/scale_768/s3/field/image/smokes.jpg?itok=b011_zMU

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/18/b2/7f/18b27fb51af4a63b93be079009bf44bc--mets-team-mets-baseball.jpg

I think you might be.  Maybe improve your mental toughness?

I cannot be the only person to think that cig smoke impedes 100% focus before and during the run.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I have seen it a couple of times, by a couple of different people one of them finished 2nd at a major i worked.  Also seen a couples of guys with cigars in their mouth  shoot piss poor, so unfortunately no direct correlation between cigars and badass stage runs can be reached LOL 

I have never smoked so yes, any smoke bothers me. But I’m not going to support banning it. There is way too much cancel culture BS already.

If I got make ready and an RO or nearby shooter were smoking I would ask that they stop or move further away.

Edited by Sarge

24 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I have never smoked so yes, any smoke bothers me. But I’m not going to support banning it. There is way too much cancel culture BS already.

If I got make ready and an RO or nearby shooter were smoking I would ask that they stop or move further away.

I don’t think banning is an ultimate solution either but it should be a well recognized etiquette in USPSA. 

And If I have to turn around and ask someone to get out of the bay while making ready, that alone throws off my focus. 

5 hours ago, yekcoh said:

And If I have to turn around and ask someone to get out of the bay while making ready, that alone throws off my focus. 

Why is anyone in the bay while you're making ready?  Or did you mean something else?

I repeat what I said about mental toughness.  The environment will never be as distraction free as you think it should be.

I gave up smoking about 20 years ago.  My choice.  I know how hard it is and can see why some people still smoke.  It doesn't bother me to see someone light up, I don't mind cigars at all and I've never seen someone blowing smoke in the eyes of a shooter.  

BTW I still remember Kirk Kirkham, the first National Champion, for those who don't remember his name, shooting stages with his cigar blazing as he bested everyone around.  He was a character.  Lately I've had guys that smoke ask me if it bothers me while they are standing around me.  I don't object.  My choice again.  I can move.

One of the people on the club's "Safety Committee" pushed for a smoking ban on the outdoor ranges.  He said that smoking and vaping impacts everyone's health and got the ban pushed through the committee.  They paid for a sign to be made and posted on the fence at the entrance to the range.

It's quite entertaining to see that it's never enforced.

This is a club that also has a 1.5 mile racetrack with portions of it within 50 feet of the pistol bays.  Let's just ignore all those exhaust fumes / carbon monoxide and focus on vaping......

My opinion, don't care... just don't blow it in my face.

BC

1 hour ago, BillChunn said:

One of the people on the club's "Safety Committee" pushed for a smoking ban on the outdoor ranges.  He said that smoking and vaping impacts everyone's health and got the ban pushed through the committee.  They paid for a sign to be made and posted on the fence at the entrance to the range.

It's quite entertaining to see that it's never enforced.

This is a club that also has a 1.5 mile racetrack with portions of it within 50 feet of the pistol bays.  Let's just ignore all those exhaust fumes / carbon monoxide and focus on vaping......

My opinion, don't care... just don't blow it in my face.

BC

This isn't really about health. It's about distraction. No one should be talking to (except RO) or cheering the shooter when they are making ready. This is a given. Everyone is aware of that. Everyone should be silent to allow the shooter make ready to their fullest potential. If you wanna come shoot and hang out for fun, that's perfectly fine. But there are some serious shooters who are dedicated to push their best at every match.

Let's not use "if you don't like this country, leave" attitude. There is already over 1/3 of voters silently voicing out that it is in fact a distraction. Put that into perspective in terms of classification, only 5% is GM and 10% are master.

And keep in mind, this is a biased poll since nearly all smokers are going to hard vote on No.

Edited by yekcoh

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

This isn't really about health. It's about distraction. No one should be talking to (except RO) or cheering the shooter when they are making ready. This is a given. Everyone is aware of that. Everyone should be silent to allow the shooter make ready to their fullest potential.

LOL....

This is a joke, right?

I have three smoking stories.

One of the ROs at my small local club smokes those skinny sub-cigars.  He is considerate about staying downwind from me and other sensitive noses.

The Wyoming Antelope Club has three large semi-enclosed bays.  I once heard a RO yell at a smoker from the next squad who was scoping out the stage to stay outside until his turn.

I used to shoot with a guy who literally kept a smoldering cigar in his teeth throughout, even while shooting.  A nice guy, good shot, usually there with nice wife and son; normally good people to squad with.  But I could not stand the smoldering stogie and had to take a different squad.   

9 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

LOL....

This is a joke, right?

Apparently our sport is now golf. Spectators must be quiet after "Make ready". Maybe the RO's should be given those "Quiet Please" paddles they can hold up.