Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do 9mm truncated cone bullets feed compared to round nose?

ysrracer

Just like RN—find the COL they like and they work just as well. Never had any problem with getting any bullet to feed and chamber (JHP, FN, SWC, whatever) in any gun I have, provided I took the time to find the COL that worked. Heck, I had SWCs flying through my 1911s long with milsurp magazines.

Obviously, you can't load them to the same COL as RN, as they have had part of the RN truncated.

The only problem you may run into is shooting wide meplat TCs in certain PCCs.  For instance, the Federal Syntech bullets will not feed in the Wiland barrel on my PCC, but will feed in the Leadstar barrel.  TC bullets feed perfectly in all my 9mm pistols.

Edited by zzt

My 1991A1 9mm Colt with 1930 ramps is reluctant with truncated cones and I have a SA magazine marked "No TC."  

I expect my more "modern" guns like STI and S&W with integral ramp barrels would handle them ok, but why bother?  I just load roundnose.  

I agree with Jim,,  Had an old style non ramped 1911  9mm, refused to feed hollow points. So used ball, dont recall trying the TC's

Also the older Browing Hipowers sometimes didnt get along with hollowpoints. 
I am guessing anything with a modern style barrel ramp would feed just fine.

I have to assume the only reason TC don’t feed as well in old style 1911 feed ramps is the same reason why newer 1911 and 2011s have the feed ramp better integrated into the barrel rather than a combo of barrel and lower. 

To answer the OP they feed fine in all my guns, but I prefer other profiles, RNFP for one. Which BTW, don’t feed well in some PCC feed ramp designs. The FP occasionally hangs up on the upper edge of the barrel. 

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I expect my more "modern" guns like STI and S&W with integral ramp barrels would handle them ok, but why bother?  I just load roundnose.  

Because in this day and age sometimes you need to run what you can find and not what you would like to find.

It helps to have modern pistols and to know that they'll handle something other than RN.  My CZs also eat Everglades 147 RNFP like candy so long as they're seated to where they'll feed (1.05" in my case).

Edited by SGT_Schultz

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

I have to assume the only reason TC don’t feed as well in old style 1911 feed ramps is the same reason why newer 1911 and 2011s have the feed ramp better integrated into the barrel rather than a combo of barrel and lower. 

The main reason 2011s have ramped barrels is to get better chamber support, but easier feeding comes along for the ride. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They work fine in my 9 MM CZ's (135 and 147) but my Springfield 1911 in 9 MM will SOMETIMES not want to strip the first round.  I probably could have loaded longer but I didn't want to have some bullets just for the Springfield.

Bullets used: Precision, SNS, J-ames, Bear Creek and others.

Edited by Tunachaser
additional info.