Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Pistol Primers?

ZOSO

Hi all.  I searched the 3-4 retailers I normally use for my reloading supplies, and not a one had small pistol primers.  Any idea who may have some in stock?  Thanks in advance!

Frank

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're most likely not going to be able to buy more than a thousand at once.

https://tbirdammo.com/product/cci-small-pistal-primer-500/

They might sell a thousand to you, but all I know is that they were reserving most of their stock for local reloaders.

As a side note, I tried finding some locally in San Diego today and got laughed at by the counter. Apparently, all primers currently being manufactured are being used in cartridges and not sold individually.

It comes and goes. A couple weeks ago I could find CCIs but now nothing, before that I found Winchester. 

Just keep checking and when they come back in stock buy what you can as it usually doesn't stay in stock for more than a day or 2.

No joke, I just bought a 1911 in 45 so i could get primers and such for it.  Well, maybe i had been considering one for a while, since i sold my last one and this made my decision easier :-. This no small primers stuff might be a good reason to NOT have too much of a commonality of calibers

When the retailers get them in, you need to scoop them up.  Get on a waiting list if possible.  Thankfully I still have 8000 on hand.  Small rifle primers are another story.

I just got some from Mid-South Shooting in Tennessee. I been buying every time I can find some, trying to keep minimum of 10k, some places have limits so I try to find some where else if possible. 

Natchez has CCI SPP limit “5k per person per day”, so apparently they plan on having stock fro more than 1 day. After shipping, hazmat and everything it came out to almost $42/k so I passed on them. Was hoping to add some powder to the order to even it out but they were out of anything I was interested in. So if you either really need primers and wanna pay that much, or need some powder that they somehow have in stock it could be a decent deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same.  Oddly there is no shortage up here but with tax they run $60CDN or $43US a box.  Stocked up when they were $39.99CDN with $600US back in Federal rebates -I really stocked up.

Those days are loooooong gone.

When this thing started I had enough for about a year of shooting, but my local Sportsmans warehouse was clearancing all regular federal primers for $23/k. They limited it to 1k per person but I conceived them to let me do 1k of each type and dragged the family and girlfriend over there a couple times to get 1k sp, lp, and spm for each person so I’m good for next season and a half or so of practice and matches. Could use more srp though. I don’t shoot a lot of rifles so I don’t keep a ton of those on hand. But oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant believe I just picked up some Federal Match grade rifle primers (small and large) for $27at a retail store.

And regular Federal small rifle for $23. Those small rifle work just fine in a PCC. Hopefully they get a shipment in a few days.

Sadly no small pistol.

Edited by fedupflyer

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I have been goin to a local hunting goods store, we have been checking back every couple of days. They get very irregular shipments, but since I reload for 12 different calibers, they always have something I can use. They limit quantities, but having my wife and sometimes my mother along really improves the daily limit. I'm good with Primers now, 1/2 way there with powder and have been buying bullets online when ever my usual guys send me an e-mail with their in stock list. Things don't seem to be improving and I bet it's 12 months or more till we get back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Y’all really think things are gonna go back to normal after this one? Wake up guys. It’s seems as though most of you have seen the trends in availability fluctuate throughout the years, but I don’t foresee us coming back after this point. We’ve gone beyond not being able to find primers ourselves, now the manufacturers aren’t able to stock primers to produce ammo themselves. You all have GOT to see how this time is different... 

6 minutes ago, TreeCity said:

Y’all really think things are gonna go back to normal after this one? Wake up guys. It’s seems as though most of you have seen the trends in availability fluctuate throughout the years, but I don’t foresee us coming back after this point. We’ve gone beyond not being able to find primers ourselves, now the manufacturers aren’t able to stock primers to produce ammo themselves. You all have GOT to see how this time is different... 

It really isn't. I started USPSA in 2008. Remember what happened that year? I was lucky to order 20k primers and several jugs of powder. Things dried up for years. Then Sandy Hook happened and it was worse. Couldn't even get bullets. Lasted for years. Now this. The lesson is damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead when things come in stock. Buy as much as you can afford and stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. 

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It really isn't. I started USPSA in 2008. Remember what happened that year? I was lucky to order 20k primers and several jugs of powder. Things dried up for years. Then Sandy Hook happened and it was worse. Couldn't even get bullets. Lasted for years. Now this. The lesson is damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead when things come in stock. Buy as much as you can afford and stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. 

Definitely. I can still get bullets, brass and some powders. Primers will come back.