Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Pistol Primers?

ZOSO

If you have a sportsman's warehouse nearby, I have been able to buy about 1-2 thousand a week for the past couple months now.  I have bought CCI, federal, and winchester, and some magnums, but they have been there on occasion.  Basically whenever I am driving by I stop by and see what they have.  Every so often I get lucky.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have not been able to find any on line I stop by Bass Pro in the Memphis area and I have been able to pick up a few 100 pk Small Pistol Primers.  It's just going in at the right time.

• 2 weeks later...

Networking seems to be a good option to consider.

I've been trading with fellow shooters when needed and occasionally run into people who have supplies but have lost interest in shooting and want to get rid of everything. Pays to be nice to people around the range.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, konkapot said:

Anybody else?

There's two routes I know are working...

1) Set up Bot's to monitor the big reloading sites and be ready when the they go in stock...you're going to have minutes, not hours....

2) Daily Grind checking the local stores that get reloading supplies.  I got lucky today at a local sporting goods that had SRP and I got 3K.  That will help... but it took checking 4 or 5 days before I got "Lucky". 😉 Nice thing with the local shop was no shipping, no hazmat and they hadn't jacked up the price!  

Good hunting 🙂

EDIT:

I guess I should note, I ran SRP in my 9x21 open gun for years.  I won't hesitate to run them in my 9x19. 😉

Edited by Chutist
typoeo ;-)

On 9/27/2020 at 1:00 AM, Farmer said:

Sportsman got some Fed LP in. 1k limit

Sportsman Warehouse in Southhaven, MS has been getting in primers just about every week when their shipments come in.  They also are given out only 1K per customer.  My wife comes with me and we both each get 1K.  I picked up 5K Large Pistol Primers from Midway USA a few days ago.  Every once in a while I receive an in stock notification.  Powder and bullets have not been too difficult to get, but primers are a premium when you can get them.

For some of the guys who have gone through similar situations in the past how long do you guys think this is going to last and do you think retail prices for primers will ever go back to where they were?

23 minutes ago, ML123 said:

For some of the guys who have gone through similar situations in the past how long do you guys think this is going to last and do you think retail prices for primers will ever go back to where they were?

Prices always go back to normal plus a small % increase. They have never returned all the way back to pre panic price.

How long it lasts depEnds on the election, China virus, etc. Could easily be a year and a half

So, learn from this. Let people make fun of you and call you a hoarder but buy 50k primers and 50 lbs of powder when you can

23 minutes ago, ML123 said:

I think $50 per K is the new "normal".  There are primers around now, but guys will buy all they can get on sight right now so they don't last long...  Never hurts to chat up the clerk at the store.   You'd be surprised the intel you can get.  ;)

27 minutes ago, ML123 said:

I'd say a lot will depend on November, could come back to normal next year or it may be a long time.

I wasn't reloading at the last panic but ammo took a long time to a) come back in stock and b) come down in price. I want to say it was something like 2 years after sandy hook and 22s a lot longer than that. It's why I've been stocking up on ammo ever since.

Thinking back after Sandy Hook it took about 2-3 years for primers to become plentiful again around here and probably another 4 years after that for prices to come down. Just recently (2019) 22’s actually were getting back to normal but now that’s gone again.  I’m an old tightwad and remember when primers were $6.00 per thousand. So when I see some A-Hole asking $60 per K it just wizzes me off and I hope they choke on them. 

Edited by Farmer

22 hours ago, ML123 said:

For some of the guys who have gone through similar situations in the past how long do you guys think this is going to last?

Plan for roughly a year as the shortest likely answer. It was longer when Obama entered office and everyone lost their minds.

We went 2-3 years without ever seeing 22LR ammo on the shelves in a store, too.

Even when supply returns, many of you who are freshly learning this lesson will stock up on a 2-3 year supply, extending how long it takes for inventory to return to normal by several months.

I have somewhere over 30k in my safe... because I learned during the previous shortage. I’d consider myself “out of primers” when I hit 25-30,000 and reorder like normal. Sadly, you now know why.

And to think - I gave away 2,000 CCI - SPP's three weeks ago to 2 guys (1000 each) I shoot with at my monthly match who both had less than 300 SPP left in their inventories and one had less than 400 loaded rounds left in his inventory.  We three shoot each month at our local match and we are all three of us shooting in the MS. State Championship in 2 weeks so I knew they both needed primers.....I told both guys that I wanted no payment but rather a commitment some time in the next 3 years replacement primers when they are able to find primers

And sorry guys - I do not have any more to give away - With my son needing and getting 2,000 SPP's (with my permission) this past weekend and the 2,000 pieces mentioned above -this puts me running out in about 4 months based on my current average monthly round count I use/need for my pistols and PCC rounds but my hope is that I will get lucky at some point in the near future.  They say Karma is a real thing.....I guess I will have to find out for myself.....Worse case would be that I pull out the rimfire pistol and rifle and burn up some of this 22LR ammo I have been buying for the last three years....   

Edited by Sigarmsp226
correct typo

9 hours ago, Farmer said:

So when I see some A-Hole asking $125 per K it just wizzes me off and I hope they choke on them. 

There fixed it for you! 😉

Sadly I'm not making that up.  I'll stop before I get "moderated". 😉 

$60 would be MORE THAN "fair" right now.   I paid $53 at the store this week when I LUCKED into some.

I remember ordering 40-50k small rifle primers several years ago from Cabelas back when they would put the S&B primers on salve for $19.99/k.  I got a lot of verbal agreements to "go in" on a bulk order, then people started getting cold feet when I asked for payment.  I ended up keep about 35k of them, and still have a good chunk of them left.  I don't go crazy buying on credit or anything, but my opinion is they will only get more expensive, and they don't really go bad, so I may as well buy when I can afford them, so when there are situations like this I don't have to worry about it so much.

But really, I am just grateful that I have not been given the title of chief pricing control tsar of all firearm things.  It would have to exhausting being the final authority on whether or not someone was selling something in an acceptable price range or not.

Thanks for all the replies.  For me it is all relative to the times.  Right now for someone who doesnt reload .60/rd is going rate for 9mm and .50/rd is a deal for factory 115g ball ammo these days and even at my local shops the cheapest I have seen Blazer brass is $22/50rds. 

Even if you pay an outrageous $150/1k for primers you are at .15/primer plus .06 for once fired case, .08 for coated bullet, .02 for powder  for .31/rd?  Who wouldnt buy ammo at .31/rd right now?

For me I am trying to make a decision on what to do with my factory ammo I planned to use for practice and matches.  Right now I have 800 rd of white box winchester 124g, 400rds of Fed syntech 135g, and an extra 1000rd of PMC 223 rounds I got at good times price wise and dont need for personal protection.  I am thinking of selling at current rates on GB and buying primers at current rate and loading my own ammo.  I just dont want to buy 5k or 10k primers at today's rate and have them go back to normal price again before I use them.  I have seen a few deals for SPP for $100/1k for 5k primers and shipping in 20-40 range from dealer with Hazmat.  I have been tempted to buy at that price.  Last few primers I have found local were $60/1k and that has dried up for last 3 weeks.

Thoughts?

I am with you guys I think we are in for the long haul on this mess.

One thing I did during the Clinton primer shortage was only leave out what I was going to use in a short amount of time. The rest of them were vacuum sealed in food saver bags. Still have some and they are good as the day I bought them. My basement gets damp so that’s why I sealed them but I think they would last 100 years being sealed up.