Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Pistol Primers?

ZOSO

Sad story

A friend was dropping in stores on his return from a trip.  One place was well stocked, everything but small pistol.  He walked right by a shelf of small rifle and out the door.  A serious rifle shooter but he was not aware that small rifle primers work quite well in 9mm.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AHI said:

Test

looks like something is not working right now on the site....I had issues yesterday to get on it, and now the posts are not update on the front page - this here shows updated some 20h ours ago and there are several post after it, weird.

Sad story

A friend was dropping in stores on his return from a trip.  One place was well stocked, everything but small pistol.  He walked right by a shelf of small rifle and out the door.  A serious rifle shooter but he was not aware that small rifle primers work quite well in 9mm.  

I’m It’s going to be tough for a while.  Probably a year or three.   Dumb luck I went in with some guys from the club a few years ago for a group buy.   I did see a few k of large and small at my local sportsman’s last week, was going to leave them.   Then I remembered this guy from my club that just got his SDB a year ago and was griping about not having any primers.  He got 1k cause I’m a nice guy.

I’m It’s going to be tough for a while.  Probably a year or three.     With all the hate and discontent from the left I figured this was coming.   Bought enough to last a long time.  I did see a few k of large and small at my local sportsman’s last week, was going to leave them.   Then I remembered this guy from my club that just got his SDB a year ago and was griping about not having any primers.  He got 1k cause I’m a nice guy.

Sorry guys for the duplicate posts above. Every time I hit the submit reply button it told me I could not post and needed to wait 9 seconds before resubmitting...So I did that several times as you see....

Was trying to get the word out on the primers at PV but I think the issue with the duplicate posts also caused a delay in my post appearing.....Again sorry...Mark

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Sorry guys for the duplicate posts above. Every time I hit the submit reply button it told me I could not post and needed to wait 9 seconds before resubmitting...So I did that several times as you see....

Was trying to get the word out on the primers at PV but I think the issue with the duplicate posts also caused a delay in my post appearing.....Again sorry...Mark

It’s been happening for several days now all over the site.

Using small rifle in 9 mm, large pistol in 38/55 Rifle. Both from my inventory. They work fine Rifle is a low pressure load. Pistol Beretta 92 with strong hammer fall,  probably run 4-5 months. Local large shop Shotgun 209s  all they have.

Last shortage, 22 Rimfire, I was Silhouette match director our club. Match suffered no new shooters many others gave it up. It has not recovered.

My guess Spring it will improve.

Boats 

21 minutes ago, macbolan said:

A representative at Ballistic Products emailed me back the other day that Federal has informed them that there will be no primers arriving for 12-18 months.  I'll keep checking the various sites.  Its going to be a while before this normalizes.

WOW - This news and seeing that Powder Valley is now limiting orders to 1000 primers that comes out to costing almost $70.00 per thousand delivered (and that is right now - who knows where this price will be in 3-6 months) this is going to put a huge damper on centerfire reloading....

I bet when President Trump wins in two weeks all of this will turn around sooner rather than later...I will be doing my part on November 3rd to insure he wins....

11 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

WOW - This news and seeing that Powder Valley is now limiting orders to 1000 primers that comes out to costing almost $70.00 per thousand delivered (and that is right now - who knows where this price will be in 3-6 months) this is going to put a huge damper on centerfire reloading....

I bet when President Trump wins in two weeks all of this will turn around sooner rather than later...I will be doing my part on November 3rd to insure he wins....

I agree with you. $70 is still not too bad compared to $129 at one of our local LGS.

42 minutes ago, macbolan said:

A representative at Ballistic Products emailed me back the other day that Federal has informed them that there will be no primers arriving for 12-18 months.  I'll keep checking the various sites.  Its going to be a while before this normalizes.

sorry, i ain't buying that.  there is no reason whatsoever a federal won't be producing components for 12-18 mos.  there is too much hay to be made.  just look at toilet paper.  i know they are making more from full blown ammo, but the component market is bigger than you think.

OuterLimits - I am guessing that these component manufacturers will focus their primary demand planning on the ammo companies that have orders for millions or rounds of primers vs. the reloading suppliy houses like MidSouth, Graf’s, PV, and others whose normal demand would be signficantly less.  When President Trump wins in two weeks the PANIC around ammo should start to settle quickly giving the ammo companies the opportunities to restock their inventories and their pipeline to their distributors.  I could see this entire process taking six to twelve months to complete.  

The current ammo demand from end users will fall off the table as soon as they announce President Trump is re-elected and many will try and resell what they purchased over the past four months as PANIC prices....Seen this happen to many times....Yep I am old......😆

2 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

OuterLimits - I am guessing that these component manufacturers will focus their primary demand planning on the ammo companies that have orders for millions or rounds of primers vs. the reloading suppliy houses like MidSouth, Graf’s, PV, and others whose normal demand would be signficantly less.  When President Trump wins in two weeks the PANIC around ammo should start to settle quickly giving the ammo companies the opportunities to restock their inventories and their pipeline to their distributors.  I could see this entire process taking six to twelve months to complete.  

The current ammo demand from end users will fall off the table as soon as they announce President Trump is re-elected and many will try and resell what they purchased over the past four months as PANIC prices....Seen this happen to many times....Yep I am old......😆

and i'm guessing i'm older than you, as i'm sitting on 30K of them-experience from the obama years.

OuterLimits - sorry just quoting what one of the distributors who buy millions of primers from Federal replied back to me.  I hope you are right and this blows over after the election.  My supply of Federals is running thin, but I do have a bunch of Winchester primers stocked up.