Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from Production to Limited - your advice?

lfine

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Never go back lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This. If you’ve been shooting production for awhile and do good, I’d expect you to be hitting plenty of alphas and be good at reloads. 

I tried it and didn't like it. I am in the definite minority. 

Shoot major.

Shoot a metal gun.

Go crazy at local matches with just 2 anywhere in the brown, a few times.

Shoot on the move way more than you ever did before.

Never ever make up a C hit.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Shoot major.

Shoot a metal gun.

never agreed more!

go fast and leave everything else behind

Probably.

For me limited took away fun, the reloads, the need to get A's and the somewhat frequent need not to miss and force a standing reload, are parts of the game I enjoy. I also liked that 9mm brass and lead was a smidge cheaper. 

I've switched back and forth a couple times and am always amazed at how underwhelming the difference is going from P to L. Fewer reloads, major scoring, lighter trigger....sounds like I'm smashing atoms or dividing by zero but the difference was never that noticeable. 

It's a trite overused saying but it really is the Indian not the arrow. 

Shoot major.

Shoot a metal gun.

rowdy hit it on the head.

Only thing I can add is shoot a metal gun   WITH  STEEL GRIPS

Reloading .40 Major can be little trickier since most use fast powders

and heavy bullets.  You have to make sure you have no bullet setback

with that combo.

A totally different approach, is ease on into Limited by shooting

Limited Minor - up to you.   Depends on your objectives.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

shoot a metal gun   WITH  STEEL GRIPS

yeah, that is even more clearly what i was trying to say.

Why did I go back to Prod?

I am not a big guy, I didn't like how my wrists and elbows felt shooting 40 major rounds, 800 or so a week, week after week.

Loading 9 was cheaper than loading 40. My Prod guns were cheaper, magazines cheaper.... you get the picture.

Instead of 3 reloads in a stage I did 1 in Lim. It wasn't that big of a deal.

I thought I would learn something "different". But I don't think I myself worked hard enough at it, so I didn't see of feel shooting Lim was different enough to give me some breakthrough in my Prod shooting. (This is of course all ME, but it is a little something about how your attitude or reason can effect the change)

What could lure me back to Lim?

A bullet or ammo deal making it cheaper for me to shoot it.

I'm stronger now than I used to be. I'm more mentally aware of my "self"

I understand working on the 2011/1911 platform better now.

Shooting against different competitors. I know most of the who's who in Prod different places I shoot. But not Lim. I'm only A in Lim and that seems a super deep and competitive place.

Go faster....no, faster. Alpha charlie is 9 out of 10 points, or 90%.

Hit Factors are higher, that means speed matters more, combined with loosing less points for Charlies. So if you're used to production you'll need to relearn what is acceptable. 

Shoot a couple of matches in Limited Minor with your S2.  The only difference will be the number of reloads and stage planning.  Then you can decide if you like Limited and whether you want to spend the money for a 40 Limited gun.  

I started in prod and ss and switched to limited  when my wife started shooting limited about 3 years ago. I think it's really helped me become a much better shooter because it's more flexible in terms of stage planning, make-up shots, etc... I can take more chances without risking a standing reload, I can shoot more while moving, i learned to call my shots better by speeding up, etc...  Also the competition is much deeper in limited at matches in my area.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Shoot a couple of matches in Limited Minor with your S2.  The only difference will be the number of reloads and stage planning.  Then you can decide if you like Limited and whether you want to spend the money for a 40 Limited gun.  

That's a good way to convince yourself that you hate it

Limited Division Tip - Accept the fact that you will have to push through or roll size all of your 40 brass before you reload it. Way too many new Limited division shooters try everything possible to not push through size or roll size their brass before loading it and it leads to a bunch of wasted time and inconsistent functionality. Embrace the suck up front and push through size or roll size your 40 brass before loading it. Does it suck doing so? Yes. Will it dramatically reduce your random feeding issues? YES!!!

42 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Limited Division Tip - Accept the fact that you will have to push through or roll size all of your 40 brass before you reload it. Way too many new Limited division shooters try everything possible to not push through size or roll size their brass before loading it and it leads to a bunch of wasted time and inconsistent functionality. Embrace the suck up front and push through size or roll size your 40 brass before loading it. Does it suck doing so? Yes. Will it dramatically reduce your random feeding issues? YES!!!

This has not been my experience shooting a TSO, which is what @lfine said they were planning on shooting. I do hear all of the 2011 folks say this, but not the handful of other TSO shooters I know. CZs typically seem to have short but loose chambers so they are fairly forgiving with case size. 

lfine, if you do go with the TSO, you may want a larger safety and an aftermarket thumb rest if you choose to use one. The OEM ones are awkward for many people depending on hand size. You will also need to blend the magwell and may need to ream the barrel to load longer depending on your projectile choice. They are not as svelte as 2011s but I have found them to be very reliable and easy to maintain and swap parts on. It certainly will not hold you back. 

I found that an EGW Undersized U-die worked well for me in terms of eliminating .40 feed issues. Before that, I had a lot of failures.

That's not to say I wouldn't love an automated roll-sizer, if it was in my budget.

1 hour ago, ima45dv8 said:

I found that an EGW Undersized U-die worked well for me in terms of eliminating .40 feed issues.

I don't think I even know anyone who roll sizes or pushes through for 40 limited except for 1 friend in the brass business. Maybe if you are using Glock fired range brass? 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I don't think I even know anyone who roll sizes or pushes through for 40 limited except for 1 friend in the brass business. Maybe if you are using Glock fired range brass? 

My U-Die has been good to me, even when processing bulged, or"Glocked" brass.

*I know most people here will know this already, but for those that might not, the U-Die is actually undersized by 1/1,000th of an inch on the inner diameter. Most people think it's just a standard die that's surface ground to allow the die to come down further onto the brass. George Huening (sp?) of EGW posted here some years back out of frustration over the misconceptions widely attributed to the product. He clearly stated he had/has an exclusive deal with Lee dies to manufacture dies for him that are that smaller diameter, to remove any bulging that may have occurred in previous firings. I can't remember if he said it was surface ground a little, or not,  but I do remember that was not the critical characteristic. 

It's Friday and I'm not inclined to go after it, but a good search should pull it up.