Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To JP or not to JP

Mban2

I am looking to add a high quality rifle to my stable.  It will be used for Run and Guns and for 3 gun.  I currently have a hobbled together assortment of parts that work decently but aren’t geared towards the game.   Should I buy a bunch of used/new JP components and build on a stripped lower I already own, or should I buy a complete rifle from the factory?   I only ask this because 2700 bucks is pretty steep, and I try to be as economical as possible, while still having pride in what I own.

JP makes some of the finest AR pattern rifles on the market. Only you can say whether or not a factory build will be worth it. Do you have the budget (don't forget about a quality 1-6 optic, sling, load bearing gear, etc)? Can you wait 4-6 months for delivery?

If not, do you have all the tools and skills necessary to build from parts? Do you have the skills required to trouble shoot any reliability issues after the build? If so, go ahead and build it.

RnG is rougher on gear than any other shooting discipline short of going to war. I place reliability and durability as the single most important feature. I've done over a dozen RnG matches and been an RO at more than half- I've watched hundreds of competitors come through my stages... I see SO MANY GUNS go down at matches. Word of warning: be careful about tuning your gun to the bleeding edge of reliability/performance/accuracy.  Most of the guns I see have trouble are either race guns, skeletonized, or some other "enhancement" that their owners eventually wind up regretting.  Also, for RnG, lighter is better.

FWIW. I shoot a KAC SR15 with a quality brake. Rock solid, dead reliable, and still hammers 0.15 splits.

5 hours ago, ClangClang said:

JP makes some of the finest AR pattern rifles on the market. Only you can say whether or not a factory build will be worth it. Do you have the budget (don't forget about a quality 1-6 optic, sling, load bearing gear, etc)? Can you wait 4-6 months for delivery?

6 months for delivery? Don’t think so...

also so they have more than a dozen rifles ready to ship right now on their website if one of them fits

I love my JP stuff. I wanted a JP but also wanted to tinker, so I built one with a lot of JP parts. It’s my tac ops 3 gun rifle and has been extremely reliable. I would not hesitate one bit to buy a complete rifle

or build with their parts. They are kinda spendy, but the quality speaks for itself and they look a lot sexier IMO

I suspect the tight barrel to receiver fit along with a good barrel is the only really special sauce JP adds, other than overall quality parts and skill assembling. And you probably don’t have to waste time setting up your adjustable buffer to work with your LMOS bcg if you order it that way.

The negatives are they are expensive, their handguards are slightly heavier than needed and fatter diameter than needed. Otherwise there’s nothing to complain about, they’re very nice!

Edited by Frankly

I own two JP CTR-02 rifles. At one time, I said that there was nothing anyone could do to an AR to make it worth what a JP cost. I was wrong, after having a loaner JP (from a friend)for a couple of months, I went and bought my first CTR-02. Five years later, a man had a brand new CTR-02 for sale in the classifieds here. It was a twin to my first one and $500 cheaper than I paid for mine, so I bought it. I have JP parts in other rifles that I have built also. 

Bottom line, if you like the way a JP feels and can deal with not having the lightest rifle available, buy a JP, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hurley

I do not own any, but have used two different complete JP's and tried one with a JP; bolt, buffer, and adjustable gas block and they were all very comfortable to shoot.  I have also tried their GMR-15 PCC.  Since my primary competitive sport is steel challenge, there will be a GMR-15 in my future.  

Also buying a complete rifle give you a guarantee where a parts build may need some time to get the bugs worked out.  I see that a lot with the home assembled PCC's.

Good luck and as they say.  "Buy once, Cry once"

I built my first rifle last year.  Learned more about how an AR works than I ever thought I would.   I have been using it for 3gun the last year or so and been through 3 or 4 RnGs with it.  I'm very happy with it and it is exactly what I wanted down to the last detail.  Would I do it again?  No.  If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought the JP version closest to what I wanted.  To me, it was just not worth the time putting together the list of parts and figuring out what parts will work with what.  What safety works with what trigger.  What gas block will fit under what handguard.  For some, building ARs is a second hobby and that's great.  But for me, I'll just buy a JP next time.  

That's my 2 cents anyway.  

I have 5 JPs (2 JP15, 3 GMR15) and have no complaints about their products or customer service.  After building my own using mostly V Seven, Criterion, Geissele, and JP parts, however, I will not buy another factory rifle.  Don’t build to save money (you most likely won’t), do so to truly understand how the firearm operates.

if you don’t see yourself taking the gun apart to trouble shoot, I suggest you just buy  a complete JP (nothing wrong with trusting the experts when it comes to firearms).

Edited by Firebull

• 3 weeks later...

I am a fan of JP, no doubt.

The JP SW Regional PCC was in AZ. I noticed (very subjective observations) that every JP ran and ran.  At least one PCC had an issue of one type or another on every stage.

Not to really start a flame war but it was a very subjective observation.  There are a lot of good PCCs out there.

A causal observation at RM3G and SMM3G, the JPs performed.

But as stated, if you can afford it, it is a great reliable company that produces premier equipment.

• 5 months later...

Funny I heard this story from a couple of very experience shooters in the past and will now reiterate it as it applies to me too. When I needed to buy a rifle with my own money to improve my game I purchased a JP, and that rifle took me to the level where I no longer have to pay for a rifle. And no JP doesn't give me a rifle to shoot someone else does but that original CTR got me to that point.

• 2 weeks later...

JP is AWESOME!

Here is a deal. If you are handy and can put stuff together, Lap upper receiver, Dimple barrel for gas block install, have correct tools and torque wrench... Build one and make it YOUR OWN.

If you dont want to deal with building and want awesome Race machine. BUY JP. They are absolutely Awesome!

Let me know if you want build list for my 3gun rifles. I love good parts, attention to detail and super fast and reliable builds.

I have 3 Identical builds. 2 with 16 inch and 1 with 18 inch barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no other AR on the market that competes with JP... Buy once cry once, I have 4 in my safe and they all perform flawlessly on the clock.  I have a 3-18 on my JP right now, 16 inch barrel. hit a 3 inch plate at 550 yards 3 in a row, 77gr blackhills.  I was a bit surprised my self but I have witnesses so it definitely happened.