Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How light of a trigger is everyone running?

B_RAD

Seems a lot of guy's shooting open have 1.5 lb triggers. Why?  Seems dangerous. 

Just wondering

My Atlas had a 2lb. I got used to it but eventually tweaked the sear spring to be about 2.5lbs. 

My new build is probably going to be around 1.5lbs. 

Edited by B_RAD

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a lot of guy's shooting open have 1.5 lb triggers. Why?  Seems dangerous. 

Just wondering
If you have the EGW hard sear in there it's still a very firm wall. You can play with the sear spring and get it under 2 pounds and reliable if you know what you're doing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I like 1.5lbs, that’s basically where both of mine are set. My new Brazos trigger group i just put in my limited gun is actually a bit lighter, coming in around 15-16ozs. It doesn’t feel to light either. Just bought it to the range today and it ran 100%, no follow or anything. It’s a phenomenal trigger. 

When i came over from glocks and felt a 1.5lb trigger in my friends SV I was like no way, that’s way to light. Then I got my first 2011 and it came with just over a 2lb triggerI. I quickly got used to that and loved it. Then I bought my open gun used and it came with a 1.5lb trigger. I really liked it too, and coming from a 2lb down to a 1.5 isn’t a big difference. It’s all about proper fundementals and trigger control/discipline. If you don’t have that, then  having a 3lb or 5lb trigger isn’t going to save you from having NDs Imo. 

Wow.   You guys are Brave.

When I went from shooting my BHP with a 6-8 lb trigger to

a TruBor with a 4 lb trigger, I couldn't believe how light it was.

Then I lowered it to 3 lbs and had the gun go off, twice, as I

was coming into a new shooting position and raising the gun

to the target.     :surprise:

Both RO's were very nice about it but mentioned that it was

close ...

BUT, that was ten years ago, and nothing untoward since.     :cheers:

Guess my new build will be more like 2 lbs, now that I'm used

to the 3 lber.   Sounds even better.

To me, it is more about the "feel".

I prefer a little take-up in order to get the trigger to a "wall".  At that point 2 lbs, or 1 lbs doesn't really matter to me.  The consistency of having some take-u and a wall to pull through is more important than how light the trigger is.  I do prefer less than 2 lbs. thoughl.

Just under 2lbs is usually the balance point with ease of shooting and reliability.  Below that and sear springs can drift enough in tension to cause hammer follow. It’s not the $90 hammer or the $30 sear that causes the issue it’s the $6-30 spring that causes changes that creates the problem.

I like mild creep at just under 2lb, because it pulls straighter than a 1.5lb “glass” breaking trigger for me.

9 hours ago, teros135 said:

Ya gotta keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to actually shoot.  

My 2011 Limited gun came with a 1.5# trigger.  No problem, once I learned it.  A well-tuned trigger won't fall until you tell it to.  

Not gonna lie. When I got my Titan a with a 2lb trigger. I was coming from 6lb DA/SA triggers where you could draw and have your finger in the trigger early. I had several unexpected trigger pulls during my dry fire. Never had a ND in live fire. I would get my finger on the trigger early when live fire. You can't do that with these lighter ones. 

9 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

To me, it is more about the "feel".

I prefer a little take-up in order to get the trigger to a "wall".  At that point 2 lbs, or 1 lbs doesn't really matter to me.  The consistency of having some take-u and a wall to pull through is more important than how light the trigger is.  I do prefer less than 2 lbs. thoughl.

Agreed. The prep to the wall is important for control and reset - a 50/50 distinction feels right.  I set my triggers to be 50% pull force (3/4#) to the wall and another 50% (1.5#) to break the shot. The 50/50 part is more important to me than the force to pull (within reason :) ). Slack out to the wall and bang!

Perfectly safe setup with some dry-fire to get used to it. I still prep the trigger (slack out) in the last 10% of a draw - after the gun is on target - so I can break the shot the instant I see what I need to see.

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Guess my new build will be more like 2 lbs, now that I'm used

to the 3 lber

Had my builder do a 1.5 lb in my recent Open build. Have been shooting 1.5 for the last 10 years.  Had a few AD's in the first few months but  no  problems last 10 years

I've experimented with them all.  Using EGW or other good parts there is no trouble achieving a reliable 1.5lb trigger pull.  I shoot a lot of different guns in a lot of different disciplines.  I like consistency.  So all of my triggers, except for two, are set to 2 lb 2 oz.  The exceptions are 2.5 lb for the 1911 I use in bullseye centerfire, and 3.5 lb for the 1911 45 for 45 bullseye stage.  Why?  That's what the rules say.