AndyG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Paulie said:

I agree that talent & effort is way more important than the tool: but how do you know that he wouldn’t do even better with a different platform?

Call me cynical but maybe he shoots the Glock because they can afford to pay the most as a sponsor that sells millions of guns a year. I’d do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

Elite (generational) talents like Jordan, Brady, Vogel, Phelps can probably win using inferior equipment. It doesn’t mean better gear can’t help us mere mortals on the margin .... or at least offer a lot of enjoyment :) 

No disagreement, the next question is which is better. Are you personally better off with a 2011 for the added weight and recoil control or a Glock for the reduced weight and quicker handling? Seems like some of this stuff is sort of a fad rather than a known quantity.

But, shooting whatever you like best makes a great deal of sense to me. :) 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

No disagreement, the next question is which is better. Are you personally better off with a 2011 for the added weight and recoil control or a Glock for the reduced weight and quicker handling? Seems like some of this stuff is sort of a fad rather than a known quantity.

But, shooting whatever you like best makes a great deal of sense to me. :) 

Personally I shoot my Glock equally well 10 yards and in. It actually returns to zero a smidge faster, IMO. 

Partials and mini poppers 10+ and targets 20, 30, or esp 50 yards and the 2lb zero take up trigger makes a huge difference for me. 

Save money? No no. A bottle of wine & an Ambien for the wife and once she's out of it, lift her credit card and order up!  Easier to get forgiveness than permission. Although sometimes the forgiveness can be expensive too. 

I keep a separate account and dump some in it weekly. Primarily for bullets, primers & the like but extra does accumulate quickly. Simple budgeting. Just have to get in the habit. 

I wouldn't shoot a glock in limited. I know many people do but I just dont like them. My dad and I have done a little work to a rock island pro Match and it's a great gun. Im in no hurry and looking for part time jobs to help go towards a nicer pistol. Make it a present for myself when I make A class or something. 

I personally bought mine using a credit card. I know, I know. Some people say it’s dumb and trust me, it can be. Mine was 0% interest for 18 months so I bought a Hayes M2, DVC 3gun and a JP Ar with a super nice optic. I did these one at a time. Bought it. Paid it off. Bought the next one. So on, so on. My wife has a card and I have a card. We both set limits and DO NOT pass these limits. This is the way I personally bought my nicer toys. Now all the accessories I just upgrade and by little by little. Belt, holsters, mags, etc I like to by used here. Great deals if you are fast enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped drinking beer and funneled my beer money into a gun fund.

That's a lie. I have no intention of ever quitting beer.

Also I don't own a 2011.

Buy a Glock. Same thing.

Or find stuff to sell to raise funds and then slowly buy the other stuff back. Assuming you really needed or were using that stuff.

I'm going to build a 2011. Its going to take some time but I think itll be worth it.

Keep an eye on the classifieds. There should be some great deals on used guns popping up now as people look to make changes after nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if this applies to you but this is how I did/do it. On an annual basis I am fortunate to receive a bonus, while not guaranteed they come pretty regular. I also get paid bi-weekly meaning twice a year there are 3 paychecks in a month.  My children are grown so that naturally makes a difference on your financial needs. There have been times where some of these funds were needed for other things and un those cases I stashed what I could. You must also realize the importance of walking away from things or your money will dwindle. Good luck 

I'm not a serious competitor and I'm satisfied to maintain my abilities as I get older so sure, my Glocks are perfectly fine. I just really like my Atlas. Dryfiring it is fun because it's so damn nice. 

Anything that I don't use, from tools and toys to even good quality clothes I don't like and "heirlooms" I don't really care about get sold on eBay, Craigslist, or forums. I sell out of my junk drawer occasionally, I probably have a few hundred bucks of gun parts in that right now even after I got it down to zero. Yet even though I sell a lot of stuff every year, for many years now there is still a lot more stuff to sell! The clutter never decreases.... 

I just sold my least used gun last week because I realized that I owned 13 guns and perhaps that was unlucky. 

You also have to try to be immune to trends. I've been reading about PCCs for years now. When I start reading up on them I get closer and closer to buying one. But then I realize I don't need one and stop reading about them and the urge dies away. So AVOID TEMPTATION! If you don't keep reading about PCCs (or anything else) you can avoid them. 

If you really want to free up some Atlas Titan money simply downgrade your car?  

Edited by Frankly

Sell the guns that aren't for competition, to fund a 2011. That's pretty much what I'm gonna have to do. At this rate if it isn't competitive in some division or sport, then I don't really want it in the safe just to have it. Too many guns, not enough time to make M with them all.

55 minutes ago, Harlow said:

Sell the guns that aren't for competition, to fund a 2011. That's pretty much what I'm gonna have to do. At this rate if it isn't competitive in some division or sport, then I don't really want it in the safe just to have it. Too many guns, not enough time to make M with them all.

This is what I just did, sold some to get mine.

I went to college and got a refund check after receiving a scholarship. Put it towards an Atlas and then spent as little money eating/spending as possible. I have spent a ton of money on the sport but it is something that I love and enjoy doing. If it is a priority of yours to buy a high end gun then you have to make a few changes here and there and save where you can. It is possible if a 19 year old in college can do it working 2 jobs and going to school.

Edited by lacivilian