Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did you save money for your 2011s?

AndyG

On 11/11/2018 at 10:07 AM, AndyG said:

Well I figured it out. Bought my first 2011 lol.

Awesome.

What did you get ?

I've got an order in now for one.  Hasn't been kitted yet....so I'm unsure of the time until it gets here.    In the meantime I'll be getting a holster, magazines & RMR (once I figure out which dot size I want). 

Gun money was much more easy to come by after I gave up alcohol almost two years ago.  

I also cut out drive-thru coffee and have zero'd in a house brand that is stellar....and cheap.   I'll run their k-cups at work...and use my refillable k-cup screens at home.  

wO3vEjz.jpg

Edited by DubfromGA

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started off with a DVC Limited. The lower lug on the barrel broke. So I sent it back to STI. Found a Used Akai and the barrel split on that after about 2 months as Shay wasn’t willing to warranty any of his work. I’m shooting an edge now with a 2500$ grip on it. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, NateTSU said:

I auto deduct 40 dollars per week into a separate savings account that I use for nothing but hobbies. It takes a while to save up for anything big but it adds up after a while. I also do some minor gunsmithing projects for friends and reload ammo for them. It's not much money but helps. 

Be careful reloading for friends. Could get dangerous. big liability

• 2 months later...

Was a slow progression for me. Started with a glock 19 when I very first started USPSA. Found out the rules over the winter at a local club that did indoor practice. Mid year I bought an old Para 16-40 and loved that gun. That ended up being a bad choice because i became addicted to Para double stack 1911s and bought like 5 more. Bunches of mags.... yeah. Shot those for a couple years. Then got a RIA doublestack and ended up working with a local gunsmith who did a ton of work on it and we had a kind of partnership thing for a bit. Stumbled on a decent deal on a STI Edge that the gentleman let me put on layaway, we did a bit of work on that too. Then this year decided to sell off the other guns and do the one build where I got everything I wanted. No string attached with a gunsmith, just my build. 

For me when I wasnt making a good deal of mo eye I did a lot of layaway. You would be suprised at the ammount of people willing to do it. But my basic terms were usually 1/3rd down 60 to pay off. If I didnt pay it off I lost the money I'd already sent. 

I was not able to because I did all the wrong decisions.  I have one of the best 2011 limited gun built by LimCat early in my shooting sport days.  And best SVI mags.  To save I should just have kept it and shoot it and reload my own ammo and pick brass.  

What I did was I chased other divisions, chased other guns, buy, sell, buy, sell....  Do not be like an idiot like me.  Get a good gun (even an STI EDGE is good enough) and just keep on shooting until you become GM.  

I bought my STI used on Gunbroker a long time ago.  Interestingly, as much as I like my 2011 and I've gotten back to shooting it this year, for the last 10 years or so, I've shot a cheap Single Stack that I got used on here.  And now I'm shooting Production for a while.  I'm thankful to have a safe full of nice guns to choose from even though I don't have any custom handguns.

• 2 weeks later...

New member here. I am still saving for a 2011. Current plan is any leftover money from our monthly budget gets split between my wife and I for our blow money. It is coming along nice and slow. The challenge is not to spend any of the money on items that goes on sale for other hobbies.

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

😅🤣😂

Honestly it was the best way I've found to do it without the wife noticing.  Heck its my money and I pay myself back with 4% interest.......thankfully, now that I'm retired and have a 2nd career, I can just buy them.

• 7 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, AndyG said:

Hey all,

I've had my eyes on an Atlas Titan for a while now but I'm having trouble saving money for one. Something always comes up. You guys have any tips and tricks when it comes to sid gigs and saving money for new toys?

Kind regards,

AndyG

Don't get married or have children.  And don't smoke, or drink at the pub, or do drugs.       But do drink at home.  Don't buy needless clothes or new vehicles, cancel cable television, don't eat in restaurants.  

Performance over packaging. Decide if you want a competive gun or an art piece... Alot of these guns are art pieces... Fine if that is what you want. Can probably save your self a couple grand if you only spend on whats gonna help on the scoreboard.
And really with the way limited , CO, and now Limited Optic,, I dont see the point of spending current prices on a 2011.  
DOesnt seem to have been all that long ago you could get a reasonably priced  STI  Edge or Eagle from Dawson or Brazos and have a great gun.  Prices I am seeing nowadays is insane.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a key for me has always been monitoring forums and marketplaces for items that I think are good values, then buying them and selling them for profit. You need to know what’s a good deal and what’s not, but you may be able to shoot a similar single action gun for a little bit and flip it towards a 2011.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, AndyG said:

Hey all,

I've had my eyes on an Atlas Titan for a while now but I'm having trouble saving money for one. Something always comes up. You guys have any tips and tricks when it comes to sid gigs and saving money for new toys?

Kind regards,

AndyG

I started a civil rights group and extorted 60 million dollars by blaming a drug overdose on the police and pale people.  

Jk, someone else did that, but it would get you a SVI, an Atlas, an Akai, and a Stan Chen

9 hours ago, Dicktater_Pete said:

I started a civil rights group and extorted 60 million dollars by blaming a drug overdose on the police and pale people.  

Jk, someone else did that, but it would get you a SVI, an Atlas, an Akai, and a Stan Chen

😂

34 minutes ago, Dicktater_Pete said:

Unfortunately, most people on this forum seem to be wankers with a corn cob stuck in their bum.  Nobody seems to actually enjoy anything on here.  I'd read the forums on and off for over 5 years before making an account.  

Ah, so you know the rules of the forum then! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...