Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did you save money for your 2011s?

AndyG

Hey all,

I've had my eyes on an Atlas Titan for a while now but I'm having trouble saving money for one. Something always comes up. You guys have any tips and tricks when it comes to sid gigs and saving money for new toys?

Kind regards,

AndyG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to sell a bunch of stuff to fund another open gun. A few guns I don’t shoot and a ton of small items that were collecting dust. Even had a yard sale. Took me 3 months to gather up the cash. I was surprised at what I had laying around to sell when I really got after it.

I auto deduct 40 dollars per week into a separate savings account that I use for nothing but hobbies. It takes a while to save up for anything big but it adds up after a while. I also do some minor gunsmithing projects for friends and reload ammo for them. It's not much money but helps. 

Start a “gun fund” envelope and store it in the safe.  Make weekly or monthly draws of a budgeted percentage from your account and don’t touch it until you goal is achieved.

Sell other toys that aren’t used to fund new hobbies, cut back on eating out, or sell clutter items.

The easiest way to not feel the bite (at least for me) of saving for an open gun is to have them take more out of you paycheck for taxes. If you have them take an s tra $40 per week, that's over $2000 for the year. 

16 years ago, I changed jobs...got a buyout from the old company, went right to work for another company...long story short, the old company did not withhold enough from the buyout...I ended up owing and additional $15k. Swore I would never have to pay more in again. I changed my withholding to single zero, and had them take out an additional $40 a week. I get back about $7k every year now.

Live within your means? I know, crazy, right? The bank says I can afford a house that costs over twice as much as mine did, but I'd rather spend the money on fun stuff.  My vehicles are 15 and 11 years old and have been paid for a long long time. Frees up a lot of dough for shooting, travel, dirtbikes, etc...

You can do it with a little sacrificing.

Eating out, alcohol and starbucks coffee total thousands per year for the average person. 

Sell some stuff on Craigslist. Get a side hustle like Uber or odd jobs. 

I couldn’t be happier with my Titan or the customer service I’ve gotten from Adam and Cat. Really awesome company. 

37 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Seems like Vogel wins limited class with basically a Stock Glock?

Once i figured out i was never going to put in the effort to get past middling B, i went to a plastic gun and still finish the same.  I seem to have more fun knowing that I will finish the same without having a large investment tied up in a gun that i will not use to either my, or its full potential (I am not even using the plastic gun to its full potential).  If i was trying to win nationals or major matches i might reconsider my blaster choice, but would probably just practice and get quicker results.  I am not trying to dissuade anyone else from buying what they want though, do what makes you happy

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Seems like Vogel wins limited class with basically a Stock Glock?

I agree that talent & effort is way more important than the tool: but how do you know that he wouldn’t do even better with a different platform?

Call me cynical but maybe he shoots the Glock because they can afford to pay the most as a sponsor that sells millions of guns a year. I’d do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

Elite (generational) talents like Jordan, Brady, Vogel, Phelps can probably win using inferior equipment. It doesn’t mean better gear can’t help us mere mortals on the margin .... or at least offer a lot of enjoyment :)