Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Chronograph? need to buy one...

I have a Pact Professional that I like but unfortuanately tend to consistently leave it on weekend/vacation trips to a family farm so I need something easy to use and keep at home or visa versa....

Like the Pact but I heard there are new models now that besides flashing number on screen will tell you the speed out loud, etc. Like the idea of the shooting Croney because it is suppose to be portable...anyhow what are you guys using and how do you like them?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Competition Electronics ProChrono Pal Chronograph about $100 if you dont need all the printer this and gizmo that, I mean what else do you really need ?

gives a high, low and average, isnt finicky about light, always seems to read and be consitent with the Pact multi chrono super duper plywood box model used at several majors I have shot. The shooting Chrony's to put it nicely basically suck, very finicky, mutil piece sky screens, lots of errors, and erratic readings I never really trusted.

Pro chrono digital. It just works. Alot of folks say to go with the CED because it is the USPSA chrono but I think any deviations will be minimal and most likely caused by the chrono being in a box instead of out in the open like most of us use them.

Pro Chrono Digital. These guys had the foresight to include space for a spare battery in the battery compartment. Nothing like getting to the range to find the battery is dead and you can't accomplish what you set out. When I bought mine the computer interface gizmo was pretty clunky. Took longer to translate the data into Excel where I keep my load data than manually entering the results. I see they have a new and improved version.

I've been using an Alpha Chrony which was a good place to start but I want to move up to a better unit before much longer and have been looking at the CE. The CE Pro Pal looks like enough for my needs but I only use a chrono indoors and will probably get the indoor lighting kit as well.

I was just glancing at prices on the CE chrono and notice that some places are selling an older model indoor lighting kit. Anyone know what the difference is between the new (model 4100) and old (model 2515) kits?

• 3 weeks later...

ced chrono is the only way to go, They are used at major matches, so I want to make sure my bullets are going to make power factor, or in line with the same chrono they are going to use. I am sure that the other chrono are just as good. But we all must remember what ced does for our sport also. they spend thousands of dollars a year at the prize table for all of the major matches. when was the last time you saw pact or any other chrono on the prize table. they don't do anything for our sport or our individual shooters.

Sean

my $.02

I purchased a CED M2 last year. It started acting funny a few months ago so I sent it back to the mother ship. To make a long story short the customer service was TOP NOTCH. Not only was everything fixed under warranty...but Mr Hardy (aka the Chrono Man) sent me a detailed letter explaining the problem, fix, and also listed detailed advice on proper chrono use. (in a nutshell I was not allowing enough light while shooting in my back yard range due to the shade from the trees)

To say I was impressed is an understatement. especially given the fact that Mr hardy and I spoke on the phone for nearly 30 minutes the day before my chrono was shipped back to me.

Good luck with your selection.

Thanks everyone. The new CED M2 Chronograph has arrived and I look forward to using it this week. The deciding factor was their support of our shooting sports, secondly was there did not appear to be a better unit....I really appreciate the time you took to give me feedback....

• 4 weeks later...
I have an Oehler 35P and a CED. The CED mostly gets used-- if folds up smaller and is the same model they use at most major matches. The IR skyscreens are really nice as well.

I inherited a 35P and it seems to do a very good job. I like the print function because I just scotch tape the print outs in my range book. Good permanent record. It packs in a rifle case and once I got the hang of it it only takes a few minutes to set up. May not mean anything but the dual reading gives me a little confidence in the accuracy.

Obviously not a consideration as I don't think they are available outside of a used one.

• 3 months later...

The Oehler 35P is pretty much out of the question now because of the cost. Since Oehler discontinued them the cost has skyrocketed! I had one for several years but when I saw how much they were going for on E-Bay I listed mine. Sold for $630.01! No way are they worth that.

Charlie

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The Oehler 35P is pretty much out of the question now because of the cost. Since Oehler discontinued them the cost has skyrocketed! I had one for several years but when I saw how much they were going for on E-Bay I listed mine. Sold for $630.01! No way are they worth that.

Charlie

To quote Charlton Heston they will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. To be fair the Oekler is the only one I have used so I can't really compare it to other makes but all I know is I love mine.

• 1 month later...

Pro Chrono Digital. These guys had the foresight to include space for a spare battery in the battery compartment. Nothing like getting to the range to find the battery is dead and you can't accomplish what you set out. When I bought mine the computer interface gizmo was pretty clunky. Took longer to translate the data into Excel where I keep my load data than manually entering the results. I see they have a new and improved version.

I must be an idiot because I never knew that's what the extra space was for. Awesome idea. :roflol:

I must be an idiot because I never knew that's what the extra space was for. Awesome idea. :roflol:

The CED M2 also has a space in the computer module (separate and distant from the sensors) for a spare battery. And the software for collecting data via USB is very easy to use :D

Does anyone know if any of these are manufactured in US? I ordered a cheap one from Cabellas over a month ago and I finaly canceled the order cause it just wasn't showing up. Glad I did cause according to what someone said here it's POS anyway. Thanks for the help!