Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Chronograph? need to buy one...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Had the shooting chrony and the CED and have used the ProChrono Digital by Competiton Electronics (not to be confused with CED).... the best by far is the Oehler. Worth every penny and they are producing them again for a short period of time. 2nd is ProChrono and third would be shooting chrony. The CED I had was junk, after 2 weeks of testing at CED HQ it came back and still said my loads were 400FPS and the replacement they sent was no better. Granted that was the first version not the M2

Placed my order for a pair of Oehler 35P, as soon as I get mine home my Dad will want one so to save all the crying (mine when he steals it). Had use of one many years ago. WHen we were able to sell them I should have put up the money then.

I have a CED M2, nothing wrong with it works well, but I know the Oehler will be better and more relaible and more accurate for some of the specialized testing that I do.

The shop I work at has a ProChrono, best option for many as it packs down easily. We do sell more CED than anything else with less hassles. But most regular shooters will not stump up the cash for an Oehler when you can get a CED for 1/3rd the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of these are manufactured in US? I ordered a cheap one from Cabellas over a month ago and I finaly canceled the order cause it just wasn't showing up. Glad I did cause according to what someone said here it's POS anyway. Thanks for the help!

The Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital is made in the US.

I am pretty confused by all the conflicting reviews I am reading. This site and others say that the CED M2 is the ultimate in chrony's, but some of the reviews here and on Midway say that it is crap. I was considering the Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Kit for cost and function when I came across this thread. Now I could argue the same things for and against both models. Does anyone have a long history with these models so that I know I am getting a qood product?

I have also read the reviews on the Competition Electronics ProChorno Digital and all but 2 were top notch. This seems like the best quality and middle of the road price, but I don't see the remote readout. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison over time?

• 3 months later...

I have found my M2 to work well with pistol ammo but it doesn't work worth a crap with rifle ammo. I've talked to CED a couple times and they tell me that my first sensor is getting a false reading due to muzzle blast. I've moved as far back as 35 feet and have still gotten errors and/or no readings at all. Again, this is only with rifle. I've had the same problem with 308 and 223. CED tells me I need to construct some type of baffle or blast shield to protect my sensor from the blast. If they know it's a problem, why don't they include the baffle in the box or sell one as an accessory?

I chrono my .338LM at 16 feet and my .308 at 12 feet and handguns at 10 feet. No blast issues with any of hem.

Use a magic marker and blacken the bullet and try again.

You can place a target in front of the first screen too.

Edited by RePete

In my experience, the Shooting Chrony is a fairly "bullet proof" product. The problem with their design is the little remote control brain. There are a number of functions available through the chronograph but all these must be accessed by pressing one or two buttons in combination to each other or pressing and holding one button for a few seconds, etc.

I'd like to see Shooting Chrony come out with an updated box that allows the user to access the various menus by pressing one button only. Something like a keypad akin to what the M2 has....

In my experience, the Shooting Chrony is a fairly "bullet proof" product. The problem with their design is the little remote control brain. There are a number of functions available through the chronograph but all these must be accessed by pressing one or two buttons in combination to each other or pressing and holding one button for a few seconds, etc.

I'd like to see Shooting Chrony come out with an updated box that allows the user to access the various menus by pressing one button only. Something like a keypad akin to what the M2 has....

I just used my Shooting Chrony Gamma Master for the first time. I fired forty rounds of various 223 loads over it with no errors and the unit was set-up in bright sunlight at 1:30PM. I also fired a handful of 380 ACP over the unit using my wife's Ruger LCP. Again, no errors. The unit was 10ft downrange.

I'm glad to be rid of the CED M2. It never would register rifle velocity with anything approaching usefulness....

• 4 months later...

I am pretty confused by all the conflicting reviews I am reading. This site and others say that the CED M2 is the ultimate in chrony's, but some of the reviews here and on Midway say that it is crap.

Me, too. The conflicting reviews of the CED M2 are especially confusing. I'm wondering if they have a lot of defective units, or whether they're more difficult to set up.

I have also read the reviews on the Competition Electronics ProChorno Digital and all but 2 were top notch. This seems like the best quality and middle of the road price, but I don't see the remote readout.

I'm considering this one, but (1) with the remote unit it costs as much as the CED and (2) it has the brains out in the line of fire, whereas the CED has the brains in the remote and only the sensors in the line of fire.

The Kurzzeit/Necro PVM-21 chronograph looks pretty interesting. @ $749.00 it isn't too much more than the Oehler. One thing I don't think I'd like is that it seems to only run off 110V and while that is nice, it's also nice to be able to run off batteries. Since it runs off 12V, guess you could use a car battery, kind of heavy to lug around very far.

Here are some comments on both:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1799510

I just got a ProChrono Digital from Midway (Sale for $99). I set it up on a Targus tripod just to see it and how it all fits together. I thought the chrono would be a little heavier, feels very light. I don't know why they didn't put the 1/4"-20 mount hole closer to center of gravity, seems like its cantilevered out on the tripod base.

Anyway, I did some messing around with it to see what I could get to register in the basement. Found out I can swing a kinetic bullet puller at 70ft/s horizontally. Seems to work as long as I go over both sensors. Can't wait to get it to the range.

Just to throw this back out there. My Pro Chrono Digital was once again right in line with the M2 used at the michigan sectional.

Before the WSSSC I used my Pro Chrono Digital to check my match ammo and it gave me 170.2. The Rio Salado official match chrono read 170.3. I am not sure what they spent, but my $100 chrono agreed. ;)

Later,

Chuck

I use a CED M2, set up is fast n easy, I shoot thru it often, I like the simple easy to use buttons for Avg ES SD, my 1000 come ups have been spot on, I wish my wind reading skills were too, that said I will probably get a PVM21 and use it as my primary and the M2 for field work.

I am pretty confused by all the conflicting reviews I am reading. This site and others say that the CED M2 is the ultimate in chrony's, but some of the reviews here and on Midway say that it is crap.

Me, too. The conflicting reviews of the CED M2 are especially confusing. I'm wondering if they have a lot of defective units, or whether they're more difficult to set up.

I have also read the reviews on the Competition Electronics ProChorno Digital and all but 2 were top notch. This seems like the best quality and middle of the road price, but I don't see the remote readout.

I'm considering this one, but (1) with the remote unit it costs as much as the CED and (2) it has the brains out in the line of fire, whereas the CED has the brains in the remote and only the sensors in the line of fire.

I just got a CE prochrono. Only used it twice but it was very easy to get started and seems to give consistent and believable readings. If you think you might shoot it from 7-8' away, you need to stop worrying about a chrono and practice shooting instead. :cheers:

At any rate, it's not like getting married, if you get something and don't like it, the world doesn't end. A chrono costs $100-150. About the same as shooting a couple matches. Alot less than racing motorcycles, or dating younger women.

• 3 weeks later...

Shooting Chrony (all models) = POS's. The fact that they fold up on themselves is great, but I used one for a while thinking that all was well with my rifle ammo before an area 3-gun. I smoked everyone else in my division. Got to Chrono, missed it by 20! Lost a pistol, bumped to another division, got a comp. Took Chrony out of car, set up in empty bay, still showed ammo making major... NEVER again.

ProChrono Digital and Pal. = Super simple and easy. You don't even have to have the sky screens. Can get the Pal for under $100 delivered. Customer service has been great when needed too.