Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Chronograph? need to buy one...

Does anyone know if any of these are manufactured in US?

pretty sure the prochrono digital is built in the US, and very reasonably priced from shooters connection or midway usa. I was hoping to find one local, but the local shops only had the shooting chrony, and i have not heard much good about them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, I have had them all. Pro chrono digital is he best "portable" unit and the Oehler is the best of the best if you not mind hauling a suitcase around. Shooting chrony was ok but typically 10-60 fps off and after 3 CEDs I gave up, pure inconsistent crap and support was even worse, Charles' testing process when sending the units in was a joke.

• 4 months later...

Shooting Chrony = sucks. After going minor at an Area match I don't use it. That was minor after I was sure I was good to go. Heck, I'd chrono'd my load several times and it always read 171pf. I should shoot it on purpose and post in the thread about murdering Chrono's.

Going to try the pro Chrono digital.

Shooting Chrony = sucks. After going minor at an Area match I don't use it. That was minor after I was sure I was good to go. Heck, I'd chrono'd my load several times and it always read 171pf. I should shoot it on purpose and post in the thread about murdering Chrono's.

Maybe the calibration is off.

Murdering Chrono's? It's already been done.

Look here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38833

Do not confuse Competition Electronics Inc with CED (Competitive Edge Dynamics)! Two different companies. Competition Electronics makes the Pro Chrono Digital - good unit, and CED makes the fancy blue and grey boxes that work better as plastic paper weights in a hurricane than they do chronographs.

Maybe the calibration is off.

Murdering Chrono's? It's already been done.

Look here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38833

Yes, that's the thread I was talking about!

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting Chrony (all models) = POS's. The fact that they fold up on themselves is great, but I used one for a while thinking that all was well with my rifle ammo before an area 3-gun. I smoked everyone else in my division. Got to Chrono, missed it by 20! Lost a pistol, bumped to another division, got a comp. Took Chrony out of car, set up in empty bay, still showed ammo making major... NEVER again.

ProChrono Digital and Pal. = Super simple and easy. You don't even have to have the sky screens. Can get the Pal for under $100 delivered. Customer service has been great when needed too.

Thats good to know! I'll have to check mine against a different brand and see if it's off??

• 3 months later...

After you try all the rest - get the best. Oehler 35P !!!

I would add one more Chroney to your list. Have you looked at the MagnetoSpeed Chroney? I do think the Oehler is the best on the market because I have used it and shot identical shots through it with my MagnetoSpeed. I matched it shot for shot but Oehler can do some things my MagnetoSpeed cannot. MagnetoSpeed is faster to set up [ no sky screens ] info is saved on a computer chip that can be downloaded at home later. Oehler can be used with full stock rifels MagnetoSpeed cannot. I say buy both if you can affoard them. Depends on what you intend to shoot. I use my MagnetoSpeed more because I shoot at a public range and there is no going out several times to set screens correctly. This can become an anoying problem at times not to mention unsafe if range is crowded. MagnetoSpeed mounts on your barrel and effects accuracy, Oehler doesn't. Your choice good luck.

• 3 months later...

Question on the 35P. Does anyone have a problem with it not seeing some shots if you fired several in a row. It might have been because it was late in the day, but I would have to wait for the printer to stop before I could shoot another round or it would not see the shot. I am probably doing something wrong, but I was thinking you could shoot pretty rapidly and get readings.

CED M2 is the closest you can get to the Oehler 35P....and it is much cheaper too. I have designed and built many chronographs over the years based on the Oehler 35. For the price, you cannot beat the CED M2 for ease of use, as well as accuracy, as long as you give it constant lighting over the sensors at all times, and this is where the IR lighting set for the CED M2 comes in very handy.

CED M2 is the closest you can get to the Oehler 35P....and it is much cheaper too. I have designed and built many chronographs over the years based on the Oehler 35. For the price, you cannot beat the CED M2 for ease of use, as well as accuracy, as long as you give it constant lighting over the sensors at all times, and this is where the IR lighting set for the CED M2 comes in very handy.

You'll get an arguement from me on that.

Over the past 5 years I've used 8 CED M2's and they all crapped out. Thankfully none of them belonged to me, I own a PACT Professional, and the only problem I've had with it, has been the sensor housings - I keep shooting them out with handguns but not my .338LM rifle nor any other rifle.

Good thing to check. How fast can you fire and get readings? 1 per second? 1 every 5 sec? Just wondering if I am expecting to be able to fire faster than the chrono can keep up. Thanks.

Had to order some spare parts from Oehler today and got the answer as to how fast you can fire across a 35P.

They said that the print function creates a great deal of activity on the circut board, so if the printer is on you have to wait until the printer has finished before it will register another shot. You can turn off the printer by switching off toggle 7 in the battery case, but if you do that it will not store your string of fire and then print the summary. It will just show the round # and fps on the display.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought a Kurzzeit/Neco PVM-21 about 2 months ago. I built a box from 3/4" MDF that is about 16"x14"x12" and put everything in the box. I have 2 batteries for it and carry a laptop to connect via USB for a larger display. It is not a simple point and click unit but if you spent some time setting up the reporting function it is a really cool unit. I will be selling my dual CED M2 setup as this is so much smaller and more of an engineering tool than a simple toy.

Lee

Good thing to check. How fast can you fire and get readings? 1 per second? 1 every 5 sec? Just wondering if I am expecting to be able to fire faster than the chrono can keep up. Thanks.

They said that the print function creates a great deal of activity on the circut board, so if the printer is on you have to wait until the printer has finished before it will register another shot. You can turn off the printer by switching off toggle 7 in the battery case, but if you do that it will not store your string of fire and then print the summary. It will just show the round # and fps on the display.

:blink: For $595 that thing ought to get up, hand you the printout, refill your coffee, and load your next round before it reads the next shot.

Seriously though, they go through all the trouble to set up a robust, two-stage, three-gate sensor array but give it less processing power than a Colecovision? Thirty years ago my Atari 800 would dump a print job to a 4k printer buffer and let me keep working.

Which begs a larger question - can someone please tell me how the Oehler justifies a 500% premium over it's nearest competition? It's certainly not 500% more accurate, nor 500% easier/less complicated to use. Are you paying a premium for additional certainty from a 3rd gate? The pedigree of a commercial measurement system? The warm fuzzy from owning the most expensive option? A "peace of mind" dividend that eliminates the equipment as a source of trouble when things don't look right?