Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Often to Clean Out 2011 Mags?

whan

About to hop into LO after shooting CO and SS for a long time. I’ve generally had pretty good luck with Tanfo, P320 and 9mm wilson 1911 mags and never really got any malfunctions while cleaning them only once every few months or so. Know that others on my range will brush theirs between stages if any hit the ground. I know 2011 mags are more sensitive, but in your experience is it needed to that level? Or could i get away with just cleaning after each match instead (obviously for majors I don’t mind cleaning between stages if necessary)

Depends, if I'm not in a dusty area I usually just do a quick wipe off when I reload them. If its in a area of Moondust or mud then more then likely i'm taking the mag apart or throw the mag in my bag to clean at a later time.

Edited by DocMedic

If I have to drop a mag in mud, dust or snow, it gets cleaned before it is used again.  I have three STI Gen 2 mags for just that purpose.  Otherwise, I use my MBX mags.

I shoot with an M Open shooter who cleans his mag EVERY time it gets dropped.  He disassembles, runs a microfiber rag draped around a mag brush through it, then sprays it with Magslick before reassembling.  I just run a brush through mine.

In the southwest we have a LOT of dust and sand therefor if I drop a mag I will clean it. Only run a brush thru it and always run my mags dry. Any kind of lube will attract and hold dirt. Except dry lube. 
At least one person I helped get onto the shooting game decided not to clean the mags. Everything went fine for a while and then random jams started. Seemed to quit when the mags were cleaned. 🤔

I consider it preventative maintenance and insurance. Bottom line is no you don't have to but you might want to. Takes about 30 seconds. 

I don't see 2011 mags more sensitive. I think the most sensitive are 1911 mags. That said 2011 mags are also fast and easy to clean. Way easier than a 1911 mag. Unfortunately my home range is all sand and loose dirt. So every mag gets cleaned after each stage. But when I've shot matches at other ranges that have a solid ground or grass, I only clean them before the next match, if necessary.

Thanks for the feedback all, great to know. Our range (Richmond RRGC) isn't super dusty, sort of just dirt + some gravel. Sounds like unless it's muddy after range or I kick dirt into the mag, won't need to clean during match, at least for a local. I don't mind taking a bit of a risk at locals and trying to see when I start seeing issues

I shoot Limited at Richmond and I clean any mag that hits the ground. In the winter you might not need to do this, in the summer there is fine dust that gets in there and can jam things up. It does not take long to clean one mag which is usually what I drop and worth not having any feeding issues on the next stage.

I ended up RO then CRO at my , well not local but closest club,  Had enough mags to get through match,,  I shot limited and matches were about 7 stages.... i TOPPED OFF MY ulsc MAGS,, BUT MAGS THAT HIT THE DIRT WENT IN THE BAG, AND i WORRIED ABOUT THEM AT HOME

The dirt in my area is like fine powder. I was taught to clean em out EVERY TIME they hit the ground. So far, so good!  On occasion I don't and get lucky sometimes. Other times I'll get a jam and a reminder I didn't clean out that mag.

Not sure why this is even a question.  Every time.  We are racing guns so why would you not remove every possible variable you could to maintain reliability of the race machine?  Unless you have enough mags to not have to reuse mags that hit the ground to get through the match clean them.  

I clean my mags every time a mag hits the ground in any division for any gun.  Regardless if I think it does or not.  Just removes 1 potential failure point from the equation.  

I use to have the same thought process about split cases.  I had heard people have issues, but since I never had one, didn't really think it was a thing to worry about.  Until I had a case head separation at a level 2 match.  I no longer load split case brass.  For many, it seems to me, it's not a thing until you experience it yourself.   Then it's a thing.  

Edited by Boomstick303

like all above, if a mag hits the ground it gets cleaned or put away to clean at home.  generally clean all mags before the next match, same with the 2011.  i'm slow enough as it is, don't need my equipment to become the weak link...

• 2 weeks later...

Every mag that hits the ground gets emptied and cleaned immediately. Doesn't matter who made it, what guns it's for, how many rounds it holds, nothing. No exceptions.

Happy to see several others already said the same, but it bears further repetition!

I load up 16-20 mags the night before a match so I don't have to reload dropped ones. I use to clean after every match but for the past year I haven't cleaned then more than a wipe down including the lips unless there's visible junk on them. 

I base it off the condition of the mag when I pick it up. It's not crazy on dry days to not clean any mags all day or even over several matches. But drop one in the mud it probably needs cleaning. One range I shoot at is pretty sandy and that's hell on mags.

Typically I pick the mag up off the ground and manually remove a couple rounds and pay attention to if it feels or sounds gritty, does the round pop up with some force? Is there visible mud or sand in or on the mag? If it's a little questionable I'll empty the match paying attention to how it feels and even work the follower up and down or tap it on a table or similar to try to knock out anything loose. if at that point I think it needs cleaning I clean it. At least with 2011's it's really easy to pop them apart. 

Not sure if that was much help but it's what I do. You'll get a feel for what works. 

At a major, I'd clean them every time they hit the ground, if it was dusty/sandy/muddy etc.

Not so diligent at club matches. If it looked dirty (or I had a stoppage!) it got cleaned.

For me 1911 mags are much more forgiving then double stack mags. Stock double stacks are also more forgiving then when you add extended basepads to them. That's when they get more sensitve to dirt.

3 hours ago, MHicks said:

For me 1911 mags are much more forgiving then double stack mags.

That's because single stack mags the rounds tend to slide up the tube. In double stack mags the rounds roll as they go up the tube. Any dirt acts like a wheel chock in front of a tire.

I’m new to the 2011 platform and am finding that at about 200 rounds or so when using a single mag I have to clean. My warning is half way through a mag a bullet will just go wonky and point straight up. I may also need to refresh mag springs. No idea how much use they’ve seen.

Edited by 80seriesaddict

3 hours ago, 392heminut said:

That's because single stack mags the rounds tend to slide up the tube. In double stack mags the rounds roll as they go up the tube. Any dirt acts like a wheel chock in front of a tire.

My post was a response to a previous poster who said the doublestack mags were more forgiving then singlestack mags. That hasn't been my experience. 

8 hours ago, MHicks said:

My post was a response to a previous poster who said the doublestack mags were more forgiving then singlestack mags. That hasn't been my experience. 

You are correct sir and I was just explaining why that is.

Edited by 392heminut

My home range is on moraine land so over the years the gravel has mixed with sand to product the worse stickiest dust ever.

My open gun fell out of my holster at the safe table and the RO checked it and it was fine.  However only got  1 shot off and somehow  managed to finally get hammer down.  Had to fully dissemble the gun at home.