Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Often to Clean Out 2011 Mags?

whan

I find that doublestack mags are less forgiving generally compared to singlestack magazines, generally.

If needed I'll brush/wipe out the mags if shooting in sand or bays with very fine crushed gravel or good forbid mud.   

Otherwise, they all get broken down in the late Fall for deep clean and inspection.  

On 1/5/2024 at 10:50 AM, whan said:

2011 mags are more sensitive, but in your experience is it needed to that level? Or could i get away with just cleaning after each match instead (obviously for majors I don’t mind cleaning between stages if necessary)

A brush and a rag are short money. Many people just use a zip tie on a corner of a microfiber cloth to pull through the mag. In a match if a mag hits the ground it gets cleaned. It doesn't take long to do 

"clean" is the only known-state you can get mags into since there's so many variations on 'dirty'.  You could do tons of experimenting on just how much 'dirty' is required to make them malfunction, or you could just clean them before that.

I bring enough mags, so none have to be cleaned during the match. All get cleaned when I get home. I use a thin brush & silicone rag. You will see the powder residue at the lips, even if it never hit the ground. I don’t use bug fat mag brushes, out of respect for the feed lips……not wanting to spread them at all.

It maybe a superstition, but I haven’t had any issues……

I use a couple mags for my reload that very rarely hit the ground. I have enough mags for the first mag that I can just switch out for a clean one because they nearly always hit the ground. If it's a small match with small squads I just switch dirty for clean. But with bigger squads I'll just clean the one that hits the ground  because there's plenty of time to do it. 

Life got better when I acquired enough mags to simply swap out used/dirty mags after each stage.  Used mags are stored in a different area of my range bag to prevent accidently getting one back on my belt.  At home each are downloaded, disassembled, brushed/swabbed, reassembled and external surfaces wiped down and are ready for loading the night prior to the next match.  I prefer Hornaday One Shot cleaner/dry lube for my mag maintenance but the opinions on what to use or even to use anything other than a brush/swab are many and passionate. 

On 1/5/2024 at 3:48 PM, RangerTrace said:

Totally depends on the mag and range conditions.  A 24 round MBX mag in sand/dust.  Cleaned every time it hits the ground.  A stock 17 rounder, hardly ever.

Same here if it hits the ground it gets cleaned!