Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting limited optics with your current carry optics gun

lawboy

Who plans to try limited optics with their current carry optics gun with or without the addition of a magwell?  I would include setting up a second gun of the same type as your carry optics gun but with a magwell added as the same as using your carry optics gun.  I am setting up a second AccuShadow with a magwell for limited optics as my carry optics gun is an AccuShadow.  I get 23 reloadable in my magazines and the trigger is plenty good enough.  I am just wondering if I am alone in this approach, or are other people planning to do similar. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, lroy said:

Not sure I see the point? It's the same thing as CO but with higher HF classifiers.

Some clubs in my area have the option to shoot the match sat. and sun. I will be able to shoot CO one day and LO the other day using optic-equipped guns in two divisions that are not open division as I do not have nor want an open gun. Sounds like fun to me. Fun is the point, for me. I haven't given a single thought to classifiers. 

I just set up my first gun with an optic. Regular CZ75B for CO. But my other guns that I already have that I could set up are SAO models. If I shoot in CO I wouldn't have a legal backup but if I sign up in LO i will have a legal backup gun. 

9 hours ago, lroy said:

Not sure I see the point? It's the same thing as CO but with higher HF classifiers.

LO doesn't have the Production Gun list and allows SA/DA guns.  For folks wanting to shoot CO but not having a qualifying pistol, LO is it.

Shooting a CO gun in LO, though, seems pointless.

At this point it doesn't make sense, everyone is in CO so switching to LO with a CO gun is silly. If you wanted a magwell it would at least then have a reason.

Down the road, we may see more people shift to LO and then it might make sense to run you CO gun in LO just so you have more people to shoot against. 

7 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

yep, about as silly as LO even existing

Yeah, one division would probably make more sense and the sooner we all accept that and just move to LO and let CO die the sooner we can move past this and start talking about the next new division.

IDPA allows carry comps and ports in most of their divisions now, social media is full of these kinds of guns. Maybe we need a new minor optic division with comps?

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Maybe we need a new minor optic division with comps?

"Production comp"

Compact or subcompact required

flashlight required (no olights allowed)

170mm mags required

comp required

scoring 5/0/0

:D

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

IDPA allows carry comps and ports in most of their divisions now, social media is full of these kinds of guns. Maybe we need a new minor optic division with comps?

the very LAST thing anyone needs to do is be more like IDPA.

15 hours ago, motosapiens said:

the very LAST thing anyone needs to do is be more like IDPA.

I remember when we used to make fun of IDPA...  Getting back active on the forum because I have a boring job this year,, and all I can say is WOW on alot of this USPSA stuff.

8 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I remember when we used to make fun of IDPA...  Getting back active on the forum because I have a boring job this year,, and all I can say is WOW on alot of this USPSA stuff.

I actually shoot USPSA matches, 3-ish a month. We are having excellent matches regardless of whatever the whiners are whining about here.

However I would actually shoot IDPA sometimes (with my carry gun, from my normal carry IWB rig) except it's the same morning as precision 22, which is more funner.

I bet if LO’s provisional rules stay the same as a permanent division, CO will eventually be changed to become more like IPSC PO (15 round mags, more strict on stuff like thumbrests, perhaps via a box with cutout). 

I'd like that but don't see it happening.  USPSA thinks CO is a raging success that can't be messed with.  Add in that the trend is always towards 'more rounds, more weight, less restrictions', they'll make a new division long before CO gets changed to match IPSC.

Hmmm, I guess if nobody else was doing it I might switch. I could show up at work on Monday and brag about my first Division win. 
They wouldn’t need to know any of the details…

:)

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

Hmmm, I guess if nobody else was doing it I might switch. I could show up at work on Monday and brag about my first Division win. 

If everyone else does it and you don't switch you might get your first division win in CO.  :)

Interestingly, this was a topic of conversation at the match yesterday.  Several Limited shooters hope they make LO minor and major after provisional.  Two plan to have their slides milled for a plate.  The want to switch between a dot and irons, so they can shoot both Divisions.   Both plan to shoot 40 minor for the first year to see how they like it.  One will switch to 9mm if he continues, only because 40sw brass is not as plentiful as it used to be.  One shoots a TSO 40 for Limited, but likes his 2011 9mm better.  So, that will get a dot for LO. 

Many of the CO shooters  using CZs with thumb safeties said "why bother, I get to use a magwell, big deal".   A couple said they would shoot DA/SA if they tried it.  They are not used to taking the TS off.  Most said it would have been a smarter move to just allow SAO in CO.

Match breakdown was 15 Limited, 17 Open, 37 CO and 4 PCC.  Everything else had one shooter.

I have a Prodigy 4.25" I thought about just adding a dot too, but I'd have to buy another dot since none of the "extra" optics I have fit the AOS plate that comes with the Prodigy.  I've already got the Platypus on order (pick it up from FFL tomorrow) and have the dot for it, so that'll be what I start out with.

I think the hope for LO-Major is likely near zero if it didn't start that way.  IMO, this is the "fine, shoot your Staccato without having to be in Open" division since it seems like every Staccato has a dot, magwell and light.

4 hours ago, mreed911 said:

this is the "fine, shoot your Staccato without having to be in Open" division since it seems like every Staccato has a dot, magwell and light.

Just call it staccato optics. 

Edited by echotango