Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullets - which to buy?

Ontarget

For USPSA shooting, are cheaper bullets as good as more expensive ones? I see some 9mm bullets for 6.5 cents each (Brazos)

and others for 10 cents each. Does it matter? Also, who do you recommend for coated bullets.? Thanks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ontarget said:

For USPSA shooting, are cheaper bullets as good as more expensive ones? I see some 9mm bullets for 6.5 cents each (Brazos)

and others for 10 cents each. Does it matter? Also, who do you recommend for coated bullets.? Thanks.

I think the consensus "for USPSA shooting" will show Blue Bullets being the most used!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/type21fkflns7zr/2020_Survey_Results.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwcv6hjxssyt9ct/2021Survey_Results.pdf?dl=0

https://thebluebullets.com/

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

At the distance you shoot in USPSA most any decent bullet will work unless you are shooting 9 MM open.  Most go for cheap or local unless sponsored which usually means coated.

But you must try and make sure a particular bullet (brand, shape weight, etc.) works in YOUR firearm.  Test for reliable function and accuracy.  I suggest trying small batches before any bulk purchase.  JMHO.

Good luck.

Edited by Tunachaser
spelling

Montana Gold or RMR for jacketed

Xteme or Berrys for plated

Summit or Blue for coated

I'm contemplating casting and coating my own because I have accumulated 1000 pounds of lead. What is that, 60K  115gr bullets ?

Hornady Hao, Zero and Montana Gold for 115 JHP, in that order.  Everglades, PD and others are a distant second.  RMR for 124gr JHP.

Rainier made the very best plated bullets while they were still in business.  Berry's or RMR now.  X-Treme-yuck.  Don't know who made the plated for RMR.

Precision Bullets for coated.  Everyone else except J-Ames in second place.  J-Ames is in 99th place.

I only use lubed lead in my 45 for bullseye.  Dardas made the best, most accurate lead bullets until he retired.  Now, Zero 185gr LSWCHP.

10 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Not sure where the comment comes from, but I've never had any issues ordering or buying firearms or reloading supplies.... Yup, in Chicago!  Lots of people are misingformed, unfortunately...

You live in Chicago and your post says "most shooters".  So you must mean "most shooters in Chicago".  Because that isn't my experience in Texas.  That is all.  

Brass monkey bullets are amazing. If you catch them on sale (13-15% off pretty regularly) you can get them as cheap as brazos for much higher quality. I'd probably be loading blue bullets if money wasn't an issue, but they're significantly more expensive. 

Every person I know who has shot brass monkey raves about them- of the 4 or 5 bullet manufacturers I've tried they are the best by a significant margin. 

On 1/30/2023 at 5:34 AM, RangerTrace said:

Maybe in Chicago.......

Is this a "political violation?" 🤐

On 1/29/2023 at 6:33 AM, Ontarget said:

For USPSA shooting, are cheaper bullets as good as more expensive ones?

You have to find what works in the gun. Accuracy can vary between bullets, however most accuracy issues at the target distances we shoot are the operator and not the bullet.

I have found only one bullet manufacturer I will not buy from anymore. It was a a quality control issue.

These days price and customer service affect my purchases. For example I wanted some cheap 115 g FMJ and found Armsco a very good bullet. These days I'm buying from Brass Monkey coated for my main competition bullet. I do find they smoke a bit more than Blues, but the service and price is number 1 from them. Order today and they ship tomorrow.

PD JHP for major9

blue bullets for everything thing else

i used to run blues in my 38SC open gun with absolutely no problem, and the only reason I don’t in major 9 is I wanted I visual clue so I don’t mix my ammo up and shoot one in my other guns

For coated I’ve used Missouri Bullet Company for years, their 147 gr 9mm FP’s are very accurate and feed very well in my CZ’s.  180 gr FP’s in .40 run through my 2011’s very well and are super accurate as well. They advertise in Handloder magazine and have a discount code in the ad.

Does anybody have an opinion if the 115 HAPs or Zero’s tend to be more accurate.  

Also if the 115 Zero JHP versus the conical tends to be more accurate.

Edited by 85win

On 1/31/2023 at 11:03 AM, CC3D said:

Brass monkey bullets are amazing. If you catch them on sale (13-15% off pretty regularly) you can get them as cheap as brazos for much higher quality. I'd probably be loading blue bullets if money wasn't an issue, but they're significantly more expensive. 

Every person I know who has shot brass monkey raves about them- of the 4 or 5 bullet manufacturers I've tried they are the best by a significant margin. 

Another vote for Brass Monkey.  I switched from SNS to Brass Monkey and the grouping shrunk quite a bit.  I switched due to a lower price but the smaller groups is a bonus.