Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack carry?

TANFARM

Not competition related….but anyone carry a single stack pistol as every day carry?

I have read a lot of the pros and cons from different camps….but wanted to know if any readers have first hand experience.

I and looking at a short Colt 1911 style and considering going with 38 Super in caliber as opposed to .45.

any thoughts appreciated……it’s serious costing……

I guess it depends on what your questions are.  I have carried one daily, and I know a lot of people who do.  The 1911 is my most requested concealment holster, even with all the popularity of plastic guns.

I shoot ss a ton in USPSA and love 1911s, but after trying them a few times for carry I kept going back to plastic. My plastic gun has ~50% more ammo, is lighter, and has no safety to deal with. I never miss taking my safety off in a match, but dry firing from concealment on the clock I missed it more than I wanted, and I really didn't think that would be an issue. I know that is a practice/training thing, but it was definitely an issue that would need correcting for me. 

1911s will obviously work well for carry but it was not a seamless transition for me so I definitely suggest dryfire paratice and such before you just load up and assume all will be well cause it is in a match. Good luck

I carry lightweight officer 1911 in both 9mm and 45 at times and don't feel I am under gunned.

I carry a spare mag because of the limited capacity but that isn't a big deal. I shot 1911 and 2011 pistols in uspsa so the safety wasn't a problem. 

I like the feel and shoot the 1911 platform because they fit me so well and in a bad conceal carry situation, I think those attributes outweigh the extra capacity of the plastic guns.

Tim

If you are comfortable with a 1911, carry it.  That being said, when I say comfortable, I mean being able to draw, manipulate the safeties with out thinking about it. When your life is dependent on your fine motor skills, and they go out the window because you are not skilled with that weapon, or any weapon. Shooting in matches helps some, but it is not real life. Cardboard is not armed or does it shoot back. Hopefully you never face the real life situation that I am speaking of. Folks that has been there and done that will tell you that it is still a scary situation. You can not train enough. If you have access to any type of force on force training (simunitions) do it. Training your MIND can't be stressed enough. Mindset is a large percentage of winning the battle.  It may not be you, but your family or others in danger.  Be safe and shoot, then shoot some more.

I have carried an alloy framed 9mm commander daily for four years. I use a low profile Wilson mag well a Milt Parks versamax IWB holster that is hands down my favorite of all time. 

I “upgraded” from a series of other options (j frames, Compact & subcompact plastic guns, CZ 75 compact) that were less comfortable and didn’t conceal as well. 

regarding safety manipulation, if you train enough and properly, and the pistol fits your ergonomics, I think you can easily learn to get the grip right and drop the safety. YMMV 

regarding capacity, 11 rounds in 9/38 is about the same as many of the new slimline plastic models. I usually carry an extra mag in an OWB holster. 

For me, it came down to a combination of considerations:

- is it comfortable to carry all day?

- does it and your holster choice conceal for your intended use/season/clothing?

- do you shoot it well? And will you train with it? 
- do you trust it? 

IMHO, these ^^^^ are almost more valid than capacity & some caliber discussions. 

other considerations could also include rail/light/red dot capability as these are increasingly a part of the carry gun calculus. 

I am not Mr. Tactical. Yet, I do have 10+ years of carrying a Single Stack. Circa 2007 switched from my beloved HK P7s to Colts. Bought two Gunsite CCOs. If you are not familiar with the term it is an Officer grip with a Commander 4 ¼ inch slide. Weight is 27 oz.

The fit for my hands is perfect. The carry weight is the same as a Glock 19.

I was also competing in Single Stack with a 1911 and outlaw Steel with a 1911 in 9mm.

You would have to pick up a gun with an Officer grip to see if it works for you. I switched to carrying Wilson Combat EDC x9s last year only as my hands got older, practice time with a 9 v 45, became a must.

I did always carry a spare mag, usually just dropped into my back pocket. Reality check is that I will never need it, bu

Checking,  Gunsite is out of their Colt CCOs but ask for Susan and she can tell you when the next run might be. Other than adding night sight inserts to the sights I have never had any work done to either CCO.

Something to consider for your physical comfort in carrying a 1911 is your choice of pants. I wear Eddie Bauer because they are offered in regular and tall sizes. With the tall option the extra length to the waist allows my belt to rest above the pelvic girdle giving the gun and holster more support without having to tighten my belt to uncomfortable levels. 

I carry Commanders. Lately I have gone to 9MM as I have arthritis in both hands. I carry IWB, something I find uncomfortable with other thicker pistols. I carry cocked and locked like Col. Cooper recommended. I use mostly Wilson ETM Mags. I carry one spare magazine with both magazines loaded with 124gr. JHPs' from any quality ammo manufacturer. 

118798F0-7ECD-40FC-A9BC-31DC093A2765.heic

Edited by Gary1911A1

I'm sitting watching TV with my Staccato C on my hip and a spare 19 round mag at 3 o'clock.  Don't even know the gun is there.  Use an EMP in a fanny pack and have a Kimber Pro Carry backup to the "C".

19 hours ago, RickT said:

I'm sitting watching TV with my Staccato C on my hip and a spare 19 round mag at 3 o'clock.  Don't even know the gun is there.  Use an EMP in a fanny pack and have a Kimber Pro Carry backup to the "C".

Sounds like a pretty dangerous neighborhood to be watching television from a stationary position. Might want to consider switching to listening to the radio. At least you can do that while moving. 

I carry a Dan Wesson Guardian .45 in an OWB holster on a regular basis.  But most of my experience with pistols has been based on 1911's or 2011's.  The DW is rock solid reliable and weighs just 34.8 oz when loaded with 230 gr. JHP ammo.  Many people don't care for the bobtail configuration of the Guardian, but I don't notice any difference in point of impact when shooting it compared to the traditional grip, and the bobtail greatly helps concealment.

I think it mostly depends on how much maintenance you want. A Striker fires duty gun requires less attention than the 1911, that said i used to carry a 1911 for about 9 months out of the year, but with so many shootable pistol options ie: 365, Hellcat etc it’s a lot easier to just learn to shoot and carry one of the smaller pistols. My back is not in the greatest shape, if it was I might still consider carrying a 1911, it’s a fantastic firearm. 

My carry rotation is as follows,Kimber Tactical 1911 ,Ruger LW Commander both 45acp,EMP 3" 9mm,I always dress around what i carry.Practice with all.I read Jaydee carries a CZ 75 compact,I have a CZ 75B s/a havent been able to find a IWB holster ffor it yet.Would love to have the Compact.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, Distant Thunder said:

Sounds like a pretty dangerous neighborhood to be watching television from a stationary position. Might want to consider switching to listening to the radio. At least you can do that while moving. 

If it was dangerous I've have my 9mm SBr propped up next to my chair.  If it was really dangerous I'd have an AR in a rifle caliber, but I live in Idaho.  Break-ins are discourage by the large percentage of gun ownership in large calibers.

Edited by RickT

This thread inspired me to go back and take another run at carrying my 1911. It is a full size, but I thought I would see overall how I liked it. Did some practice draws and practice firing and unsnapping the thumb break holster and getting the thumb safety off ended up being pretty easy, which is one of my bigger complaints earlier on. My new complaint though was my bianchi holster likes to take my thumb safety off throughout the day. Twice in the day I checked my gun and the safety was off. I pinned my grip safeties so I didn't love the fact that my 1911 was in a leather holster with the safety off. I may try to figure out something in the future if I look at this anymore and go with a kydex that I can shape around the thumb safety so it won't be deactivated. But for now I'm sticking with plastic, y'all have a good one

So, not exactly a single stack, and arguably not even a 1911, but since I changed jobs, I'm carrying a Wilson Combat double stack Experior in 9mm.  I've got a Commander and Compact.  27 ounces unloaded with basically a slightly thicker officers length grip.  I love the guns.  15+1 with a flush fit mag and an 18 rounder on the belt.  You can find a used one like I did for 2K.  One of the best things about these little pistols is that WC redesigned the pistol around the 9mm cartridge, so you don't get the geometry/reliability issues you sometimes do with 9/40 1911 style pistols.  These are definitely worth a  look for a serious every day carry person.

Most of the late 2000s and into the early 2010s my main carry was a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It was a heavy little beast but I loved it anyway.

I then moved to a Glock 30 for a hot minute. Now I've shifted to a Springfield Armory Hellcat but long for the days of the 1911. 

If by short you mean shorter than Commander, read up on potential reliability issues before buying. Newer Colt Defenders may be more reliable out of the box that earlier ones, not certain.  My older one is not quite there yet. For me, a solid belt and OWB holster allow me to carry a steel framed Commander-sized gun comfortably, but I see a lot of lightweight frames being carried.  1911s feel much slimmer than full size double stack guns I carried for years.  I have no experience with the .38.  I’m also of the opinion that buying on price is not the best way to get into 1911s.  I’ll pay for reliability and quality instead of save money and be frustrated with something that does not do what I want-function.

• 1 month later...