Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack carry?

TANFARM

Carried a 45 Commander that I built for the last 12 years and a couple of colts for the 30 + years before that.

Carry a sig 365 or S&W 642 for running errands ( go get milk at convenient store type of errands)

Carried OWB at 3:30 up until 2 years ago and switched to AIWB. Easier in the truck and sitting which I do more of now than before. FWIW

• 2 weeks later...

I've carried a Commander in 45 for years. I can carry it in pretty much any position without issue. I recently decided to build a new Commander in 9mm. Gain the extra capacity going from 45 to 9mm. Plus my old 45 is all carbon steel and blued. It's well worn and needs to be refinished. Also in the summer between sweat and humidity anywhere the bluing has worn is rusting quickly unless I stay right on top of it. 

So I decided to build this Commander in stainless:

https://ibb.co/DC2GM7G

https://ibb.co/GMBh9L0

It's going to be a 4" Bull Barrel, 9mm, all the controls will be stainless. I have the stainless EGW HD safety, slide stop and grip safety pictured. All the internals are carbon steel which will get Ionbond/PVD coated once I fit everything up. Hoping with everything external being stainless it will be a little more resistant to rust. Though I know stainless will rust too.

My hands are on the bigger side and I prefer the longer full size grip over the shorter officer grip. Though I do like CCO setups. I find the commander about the perfect balance. While it's a bit on the heavy side vs a comparable polymer/aluminum framed carry pistol, it's not unbearable if you have the right holsters.

I still have to have the slide finished, rear serrations, flat topped and Novak sight cuts. I am a big fan of EGW HD parts for building with. They are high quality and always in spec. I wanted a stainless gun that's as reliable and tough as possible. Hopefully this one will be up to the task. I much prefer the slimmer profile of the 1911.