Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot both, and a lot of other PCCs. JP-5 is flatter shooting than GMR-15 but, like my MP5, is more fussy with ammo sizing... you need to use a Lee U-die to size your reloads. Whether it's worth the $$$ vs. what you already have it is up to you. I already have a pair of PCCs built on the CMMG RDB system which perform well and IMHO are not holding me back, but if I was buying from scratch I'd seriously consider spending the extra on the JP-5 vs. other options. Still cheaper than a typical custom Limited or Open handgun setup.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Thanks for input. Flatter is what I’m looking for, but not at expensive of reliability as far as ammo goes. I’ve got my 15 decked out and shooting good. Never had a failure so far. I do use a Lee in my 650 already, so ammo shouldn’t be an issue. I now needed to figure out if my Smoke Composite stuff will fit JP-5.,

13 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Are you basing this off your experience with a JP-5 because you have time on a JP-5, or you basing this on the results from an MP5?

Both, and feedback from a friend who has a JP-5. Doesn't appear to be a particular problem provided you are diligent with your ammo loading and gaging - the roller locked system is just not as tolerant of poorer quality ammo. In contrast, a straight blowback AR tends to brute-force the ammo into the chamber in my experience, presumably due to the increased reciprocating mass.

Edited by StealthyBlagga
16 hours ago, falconpilot said:

Anyone telling me if there is enough difference in the new JP-5 over GMR-15 to justify the price? 

Every single shooter that has fired my JP-5 has immediately understood the difference. There is no comparison between the JP-5 and any blowback PCC. It's exactly like an MP-5 but with the better AR ergonomics. Compared to the MP-5 it's easier to reload, better ambi controls, easier to adjust LOP and there's all kinds of aftermarket for AR pattern rifles. 

I ordered a 2nd. It's that good. 

26 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Every single shooter that has fired my JP-5 has immediately understood the difference. There is no comparison between the JP-5 and any blowback PCC. It's exactly like an MP-5 but with the better AR ergonomics. Compared to the MP-5 it's easier to reload, better ambi controls, easier to adjust LOP and there's all kinds of aftermarket for AR pattern rifles. 

I ordered a 2nd. It's that good. 

Your post makes me happy. Mine arrives December in Europe. Can you shoot (hot) factory ammo with it (like the MPX) or do you need 130PF ammo like a straight blowback likes it??

35 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Your post makes me happy. Mine arrives December in Europe. Can you shoot (hot) factory ammo with it (like the MPX) or do you need 130PF ammo like a straight blowback likes it??

I have shot extremely low and very high power factor ammo. It does not make much of a difference. The perceived recoil and dot movement vary far less in the JP-5 going from "hot" to "light" ammo compared to blowback PCC's. 

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I have shot extremely low and very high power factor ammo. It does not make much of a difference. The perceived recoil and dot movement vary far less in the JP-5 going from "hot" to "light" ammo compared to blowback PCC's. 

tnx just what I wanted to hear!!

11 hours ago, Custom Glock Racing said:

I'll be shooting a JP5 this weekend at the AZ PCC match and doing a review on GunsAmerica.  I am very excited since I love the recoil of my MP5 but hate the trigger and reloading it.

I'll be curious to get your take...  Like you I like how the MP5 shoots but not a whole lot about the ergonomics of it.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:23 PM, Custom Glock Racing said:

I'll be shooting a JP5 this weekend at the AZ PCC match and doing a review on GunsAmerica.  I am very excited since I love the recoil of my MP5 but hate the trigger and reloading it.

So how did that work in the rain? 😉

Flawless.  Picked up from my FFL Wed afternoon, found a load with MG 124 JHP that worked well at 154ish PF. Shot Cactus Thurs night (my first PCC match) then onto the AZ PCC match Sat and Sun.  Worked perfectly, no jams of any kind.  Won a stage in Open and finished 5th Open.  The JP5 is outstanding!  

I've been collecting parts to build a blow back PCC for awhile and will sell them all soon.  Going to be doing some side by side testing against an MPX soon as well.

Owned a gmr15 that I shot in idpa and steel challenge for a year. I've shot I think two different jp5's thanks to @Darqusoull13. They are different guns, I can attest to that. As a value proposition it depends on what you value. Me personally, if I already had a 15 running awesome I wouldn't switch. If I had anyother or no pcc and was going to get one, I would get the jp5.

Other pccs had me throwing stuff across the range and cursing. The only thing I've not liked about my jp was their stock furniture.

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Owned a gmr15 that I shot in idpa and steel challenge for a year. I've shot I think two different jp5's thanks to @Darqusoull13. They are different guns, I can attest to that. As a value proposition it depends on what you value. Me personally, if I already had a 15 running awesome I wouldn't switch. If I had anyother or no pcc and was going to get one, I would get the jp5.

Other pccs had me throwing stuff across the range and cursing. The only thing I've not liked about my jp was their stock furniture.

Just wait until you shoot the next one, shorties are so much more fun after all 😉

On 9/27/2021 at 4:46 PM, Custom Glock Racing said:

Flawless.  Picked up from my FFL Wed afternoon, found a load with MG 124 JHP that worked well at 154ish PF. Shot Cactus Thurs night (my first PCC match) then onto the AZ PCC match Sat and Sun.  Worked perfectly, no jams of any kind.  Won a stage in Open and finished 5th Open.  The JP5 is outstanding!  

I've been collecting parts to build a blow back PCC for awhile and will sell them all soon.  Going to be doing some side by side testing against an MPX soon as well.

Was this one from the first run sold to the public or a "special order"?

I preordered one the Saturday they became available and was hoping yours was from the 1st run.