Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I ordered mine pre-order through Shooters Connection.  They sent me an email three weeks ago telling me they received word from JP end of first quarter of 2022. 

I preordered with JP right after they announced it. I was told-

We look to be on schedule to start shipping these EOY/Q1 of next year.”

10 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Straight from the manufacturer. Most every question is answered in this video. 

Feel free to ask anything else you might be curious about if it's not in the video. I'll be happy to answer if I can 🙂

Does JP wanna sponsor me?  😎

5 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

Best left-handed PCC shooter right here!

Thanks!  I could really test out that ambi mag release button 😎 

fun fact. The only reason I shoot the MPX is because it has ambi mag release buttons. Stupid lefties 🤣

17 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

Thanks!  I could really test out that ambi mag release button 😎 

fun fact. The only reason I shoot the MPX is because it has ambi mag release buttons. Stupid lefties 🤣

I understand your pain. I almost bought a JP5 or MPX for that very reason. Decided to just get a Gibbz lower and see how that turns out. Keep the left handed title warm for me ;)

9 hours ago, Custom Glock Racing said:

A few wrong handed people tried my JP5 and they all liked the controls.

I have a tough time thinking a mil spec mag button will feel better than the MPX mag button with the Odin works extended button on it. The leverage of my setup feels amazing. And we ALL know that’s what sets the upper class shooters apart from lower class shooters..

regardless, I wanna try the JP5. A lot. It would be an expensive journey to switch platforms tho. I have back ups to my back ups for MPX crap. And no, not because they malf on me. 3 is adequate, 2 is 1 and 1 is none 

Edited by Bdh821
11 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

I understand your pain. I almost bought a JP5 or MPX for that very reason. Decided to just get a Gibbz lower and see how that turns out. Keep the left handed title warm for me ;)

I had a Gibbz lower that I ended up selling. I debated on switching from the MPX a while ago but decided against it since I’m so deep into the MPX platform. 

I’ll gladly keep my unofficial lefty title warm for anyone to take. After watching this past years footage of myself, I feel it’ll be easy to take 

23 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Per JP you can install almost any AR trigger.  Is that not the case?  I was going to install a TriggerTech, or is that not going to work either?

I think their caveat was "Any MILSpec trigger", so any cartridge type triggers may not fit.  I presume because of the pivoting ejector mechanism.  The ECL may not fit because of the extra springs of the Hiperfire system.

Nolan

The toggle springs in Hiperfires interfere.

Large cartridges interfere (AR Gold/Timney DH 3-Gun, Triggertech).

CMC "cartridge" interferes stock but I made it fit with a pair of tin snips by cutting the extra metal above the pins. Good budget option imo, very underrated trigger. Advertised 3.5 lbs but in reality they pull 2.5-3 lbs with little break in. 

Timney calvin elite does install because the housing is small, but didn't work well. It pulls at 1.25-1.5 lbs with a decent reset force (more than AR Gold). When first installed I thought it was the dream trigger, I was able to get 0.07-0.08 splits on demand, and even the occasional 0.06 (shown by AMG labs timer, not exactly how it's calculated. Could it have been a 0.69 split rounded down? Idk). After about 500 rounds it started bursting uncontrollably. I didn't try it with a much heavier hammer spring. Might be something to look into.

Geissele SD3G has been flawless. Pulls at 2.25 lbs with over 1lb reset force. Toss up between this and ECL in my opinion, but in blowbacks the SD3G doesn't work well. Never used it in blowback because the system is too violent and Geisseles burst too easily. JP5 is very nice to triggers in my experience so far. .10 splits on demand is easy.

Edited by Maxamundo

JP triggers are great for factory triggers, 3 1/2 +/- lbs. with a good reset.  I wanted something lighter with a more positive reset in my GMR-15 so I went with a Hyperfire ECL (after watching one of Max's videos comparing a bunch of triggers).  I pulled the ECL out of my GMR-15 before I sold it so I could put it in my JP-5.  Looks like the house AR is getting a trigger upgrade.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:57 AM, Walli said:

Is there a reason not to use a JP trigger in a JP rifle?

Their triggers are terrific feeling with the perfect over travel stops and pre-travel adjustments done. But for reliability with rifle primers (and keeping a good reset force at the same time) you really need to be in the above 3.5 lb range in my experience. 

From the latest JP BULLETin:

"Finally, we know there’s plenty of anticipation out there right now on the JP-5™. We were really targeting to have guns shipping out right now, but “the best laid plans of mice and men,” and all that. Our time table has moved back as we deal with some manufacturing delays. Our new target is to start building about a month from now."

If they're a month out from starting production, that's 30 days to ramp up, another 30 days minimum to get parts anodized and 30 to assemble and start shipping.  Even if all my estimates are overly conservation, we're looking at 45-60 before they ship.  So the original delivery schedule Q4-21/Q1-22 is now looking like Q2-22 maybe Q3?!?

Edited by cferree