JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Yes and it's not even close.

Maybe the better question should be:

Is it better than the SIG MPX with less maintenance?

Will there be other companies who will try to do the same thing for a lower price? If so, when?

8 hours ago, Walli said:

Maybe the better question should be:

Is it better than the SIG MPX with less maintenance?

Will there be other companies who will try to do the same thing for a lower price? If so, when?

Yes, but by a smaller margin.  Stock prototype no tuning JP5 was about 10% flatter than tuned MPX when I tested them head to head.

Less maintenance and much much easier/faster maintenance.

3 minutes ago, Custom Glock Racing said:

Yes, but by a smaller margin.  Stock prototype no tuning JP5 was about 10% flatter than tuned MPX when I tested them head to head.

Less maintenance and much much easier/faster maintenance.

Felt more like 7.8% flatter to me. 🤪

But for real tho… anything is less maintenance than an MPX. 

17 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Is it much better than a GMR15 with a Scheel buffer?

It is much softer than that combination. That buffer has a very odd recoil impulse. It's not what I would call predictable and it doesn't soften the recoil nearly as much as you'd expect. 

The JP-5 I've had is at ~23,550 rounds. I haven't had a part break and official word from that checkpoint in testing was along the lines of I hadn't come close to wearing out any parts. That's with a steady diet of "anything 9mm" that folks brought to shoot in matches, after matches and in my practice (mostly Syntech). 

My personal maintenance routine was to wipe things down and re-lube them. 

Never got an answer on the barrel nut configuration for these.  Is the barrel nut and handguard mount proprietary or standard AR specs?  Reason I'm asking is I don't care for the JP handguards, and if I can't swap it out, that's a major factor in my decision whether to purchase one.

7 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Never got an answer on the barrel nut configuration for these.  Is the barrel nut and handguard mount proprietary or standard AR specs?  Reason I'm asking is I don't care for the JP handguards, and if I can't swap it out, that's a major factor in my decision whether to purchase one.

Get the Steel Challenge version, it comes with a great mlok handgaurd.

3 hours ago, Custom Glock Racing said:

Get the Steel Challenge version, it comes with a great mlok handgaurd.

Gonna pass on that.  One thing I absolutely don't want or need is a full length rail on the top of it.  If the only choices for handguards are the JPs, I'll stick with the GMR-15 until that changes.

18 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I was afraid you were going to say that.  🤑

A big +1 on that here. I still want to shoot one side by side with my gun to see for myself what the difference is before I spend 3500 on a new gun though. But if I find is considerably better I'll be selling some stuff in the safe to fund one in a hurry lol. 

12 hours ago, EBEnthusiast said:

Anyone with a JP-5 who can confirm if the bottom of the receiver is the same as the GMR-15 to match magwell compatibility? 

It is not, nor will a -13 fit. Techwell was working on one last time I talked to Bob. I'm sure TF and others are as well. 

The good news is that in the interim with the geometry of the JP-5 bolt relative to the mag catch, I can load a full 61 round mag with no effort at all on a closed bolt. Gone are the days of downloading your mags to get them to seat. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...