Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

From email- “The good news is that the only problems we've faced for the JP-5™ have been the steady drip of time creep. All the new components are looking good, and they are coming together nicely. So, barring anything unforeseen, production is set to ramp up towards the end of February with all hands on deck for the JP-5™ at that point. This puts our current scheduled start for shipping in March.”

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/29/2021 at 11:04 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Just a heads up, that had nothing to do with the rifle. 

He'll probably tell you if you ask him. 

Final count on mine was around 23,550 at the end of the season :) 

On YouTube JP seemed to think it WAS a rifle issue.  🤔 

Super strange. 

07672511-C4AF-4AA6-97BB-5A340D7FB9C3.jpeg

6 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

On YouTube JP seemed to think it WAS a rifle issue.  🤔 

Super strange. 

07672511-C4AF-4AA6-97BB-5A340D7FB9C3.jpeg

That was an unlucky malf. I hadn't cleaned or removed the extractor in 15k rounds. Only maintenance I did was infrequently wipe out the inside of the upper receiver and the bcg with cleaner, then re-lube. Fouling had started to build up around the extractor causing the tension to lessen. I did check the tension prior to the match, but only with my finger, not a casing, so I didn't realize how much build up there was in the crevices.  

Normally that jam should have been a stovepipe, but the casing of course made its way back into the upper and got lodged above the feeding round. That required a very firm pull of the charging handle and removal of the mag to get loose.

Also just my luck it happened on a 120 point 7 second stage. So a 7 second jam doubles my time and puts me at ~ 50% or 60 stage points lost. Literally on any other stage it wouldn't have had such a large effect on my score. 

Keep in mind too that Lyn was running the same gun the same day and had no problems. 

JP also said that they tightened the tolerances on extractor fitment for the production guns. 

That might even be them being overly cautious. Just add an extractor removal and cleaning every 5k to the maintenance protocol. 

10 minutes ago, Maxamundo said:

That was an unlucky malf. I hadn't cleaned or removed the extractor in 15k rounds. Only maintenance I did was infrequently wipe out the inside of the upper receiver and the bcg with cleaner, then re-lube. Fouling had started to build up around the extractor causing the tension to lessen. I did check the tension prior to the match, but only with my finger, not a casing, so I didn't realize how much build up there was in the crevices.  

Normally that jam should have been a stovepipe, but the casing of course made its way back into the upper and got lodged above the feeding round. That required a very firm pull of the charging handle and removal of the mag to get loose.

Also just my luck it happened on a 120 point 7 second stage. So a 7 second jam doubles my time and puts me at ~ 50% or 60 stage points lost. Literally on any other stage it wouldn't have had such a large effect on my score. 

Keep in mind too that Lyn was running the same gun the same day and had no problems. 

JP also said that they tightened the tolerances on extractor fitment for the production guns. 

That might even be them being overly cautious. Just add an extractor removal and cleaning every 5k to the maintenance protocol. 

I have video of you from that stage… 

14 minutes ago, Maxamundo said:

Unfortunate that we didn’t get to see you slay that stage.

The HHF is pretty high… wonder if it could have been worse. 🤪

9 hours ago, Maxamundo said:

That might even be them being overly cautious. Just add an extractor removal and cleaning every 5k to the maintenance protocol

Thanks for providing the maintenance tip.  15k without cleaning before you had that type of malfunction is pretty amazing. 

13 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Unfortunate that we didn’t get to see you slay that stage.

The HHF is pretty high… wonder if it could have been worse. 🤪

Nah, I wasn't on track for a stage win. I was struggling with trigger freeze a lot. Probably would have been 85-90%.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, rowdyb said:

Owned a gmr15 that I shot in idpa and steel challenge for a year. I've shot I think two different jp5's thanks to @Darqusoull13. They are different guns, I can attest to that. As a value proposition it depends on what you value. Me personally, if I already had a 15 running awesome I wouldn't switch. If I had anyother or no pcc and was going to get one, I would get the jp5.

Other pccs had me throwing stuff across the range and cursing. The only thing I've not liked about my jp was their stock furniture.

I recently considered frankenstein building a PCC but you just helped me save a ton of time and made my decision easy for me. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kwontanamo said:

Cool!

Although I do wonder how rollback compares to a shortstroked PCC though. Does anyone have inputs?

There's no comparison between a roller delay and any straight blowback. 

The JP-5 is "short stroked." The "Stroke" refers to how far the bolt/buffer travel to chamber the next round. It's not necessary to travel the same distance for 223 and 9mm. 

16 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

There's no comparison between a roller delay and any straight blowback. 

The JP-5 is "short stroked." The "Stroke" refers to how far the bolt/buffer travel to chamber the next round. It's not necessary to travel the same distance for 223 and 9mm. 

ahh gotcha. haha i didn't see this before I replied back on your DM. Thanks for the feedback! i cant wait until they open up the customization for the JP-5 on rifle builder. 

@Darqusoull13I was wondering why JP put different comps on the Steel Challenge JP5 versus the Competition JP5.  Is it because Steel Challenge participants tend to use lower PF ammo, so there is not enough gas to make it useful on the Steel Challenge JP5?

Also I believe you mentioned you have been running the Steel Challenge JP5 for USPSA.  Do you see a need or feel that Rifle could benefit from the vertical comp on that setup?

35 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

@Darqusoull13I was wondering why JP put different comps on the Steel Challenge JP5 versus the Competition JP5.  Is it because Steel Challenge participants tend to use lower PF ammo, so there is not enough gas to make it useful on the Steel Challenge JP5?

Also I believe you mentioned you have been running the Steel Challenge JP5 for USPSA.  Do you see a need or feel that Rifle could benefit from the vertical comp on that setup?

i also thought about this. Do I ask to have the titanium comp turned to where the ports face 12 and 6 o clock or go with the PCC comp. 

i'm a fan of the M-lok rail and the mission first stock though.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between the standard 3 port and the vertical. There is a difference but people tend to make more of a deal out of it than it is. The reason for the Ti comp is weight reduction at the end of the barrel to reduce swing weight in SCSA to help with transitions. 

I have shot both comps in both sports. I would decide which handguard your prefer and just order that model unless you're ONLY shooting SCSA. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to order one, but nothing firm on delivery date ": “Estimated delivery time frame for this order is between Q2-Q3 of 2022.”. 

Ben Zimmerman

Sales and Technical Support

JP Enterprises, Inc.

This is the second batch, they hinted barrel delays, changes in the extractor area. 

To me this is the second Beta, changes on the fly. I'm sure they will do better than Sig did on the mpx took three versions.

I got stung on the Cmmg radial, runs fine for about 800 rounds then replace the ejector spring and roll pin, sent it back three times. Now it sits in the back of the safe with other failure prone guns.

I'll wait till hear great things, and they are on the 3/4 production run and the changes are baked in.

Don't buy a car first year waited till 2017 for the GT350, windows wasn't any good till version three and nether was their networking.

4 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

25,000+ rounds later and anyone "waiting" to order one is just going to be behind. I've got my 2nd order in. 

🙂 and we poor Europeans are last in lane ....

I live in the wrong continent