Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

On 9/28/2021 at 5:36 PM, cferree said:

Was this one from the first run sold to the public or a "special order"?

I preordered one the Saturday they became available and was hoping yours was from the 1st run.

I have one of the prototypes and its the Steel Challenge model.  To be clear, its not mine, JP loaned it to me because I am writing a review of it for GunsAmerica.  I have to send it back in a couple weeks.

So far it is fantastic.  Worlds better than a blowback PCC.  It had more push than an MPX but it does not really disturb the sights and its way way lighter than an MPX and more reliable from what I have seen so far.  So far it has shot 18 stages, many testing sessions, roughly 800-900 rounds with no problems.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Do you see any reason the Steel Challenge model would not work for normal USPSA field courses?

Nope.  Shot a USPSA match with it last weekend and an outlaw PCC match the week before.  When I buy one it will be the SC version as I prefer the Mlok handguard for attaching crap and its smaller diameter.  The lighter weight too.

7 minutes ago, Custom Glock Racing said:

Mlok handguard for attaching crap and its smaller diameter.  The lighter weight too

Thats what I was hoping for because it’s the model I pre-ordered. I want to test out that new hand guard. Kind of tired of the JP MK IIIs I have on my current PCC and one AR. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Boomstick303

Hoping for more reviews, there is one in recoil magazine but quite 'generic' I would like to know:

- is it really faster / better then a tuned (blitz etc.) JP15GMR?

- How does it compare to a MPX?

- can we shoot factory 9mm ammo?

We can order now in Europe but it is so expensive I like to now before I buy 🙂

18 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Hoping for more reviews, there is one in recoil magazine but quite 'generic' I would like to know:

- is it really faster / better then a tuned (blitz etc.) JP15GMR?

- How does it compare to a MPX?

- can we shoot factory 9mm ammo?

We can order now in Europe but it is so expensive I like to now before I buy 🙂

Yes it is faster and softer than any blowback gun. 

It's arguably softer than the MPX but without the associated drama of required cleaning. I'm at 20,000 rounds on my JP-5 as of last Sunday. The reliability to me is so far on par with my GMR series guns. 

My JP-5 has shot the following loads and functioned properly for everything:
Factory
Federal Syntech 130, 150 (Red and Purple), 124(Red and Purple) and 115
Federal American Eagle 115 and 147
Federal HST 147

Blazer 115 and 147, WWB 115, S&B 115, Magtech 124

Handloads - C (Coated) J (Jacketed)
124s C - 120 PF with Titegroup
115 gr C x 3.2 gr Titegroup
135 gr C x 3.2 gr Titegroup
147 gr J x 3.2 gr N320
135 gr C- 130 PF with N320
115 C x 4.0 gr Sport Pistol
115 C x 4.1 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 3.9 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 4.1 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 4.3 gr Sport Pistol

A bunch of this was tested with other people's ammo when they shot it as a loaner rifle. Some of the hand loads I didn't document powder and bullet charges entirely.

37 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Handloads - C (Coated) J (Jacketed)
124s C - 120 PF with Titegroup
115 gr C x 3.2 gr Titegroup
135 gr C x 3.2 gr Titegroup
147 gr J x 3.2 gr N320
135 gr C- 130 PF with N320
115 C x 4.0 gr Sport Pistol
115 C x 4.1 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 3.9 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 4.1 gr Sport Pistol
125 J x 4.3 gr Sport Pistol

Thanks for all of the data.  Did it seem to like any one load and/or bullet weight over another?  Did it seem to prefer one PF over another, or did it not really matter?

Edited by Boomstick303

Add 125 gr C x 4.0 gr Titegroup to the list @Darqusoull13 😎

I have a GMR-15 and the JP-5 is noticeably easier to shoot. Even with unfamiliar furniture and different optic height, I was able to shoot as fast and distinctly remember that I didn't have to correct the muzzle positioning as much. Based on my feeling and no empirical data, I'd say it's roughly 40% easier to shoot. Once the receiver sets come out, I'll be SBRing one just to have an RDB that's not an MP5.

24 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Thanks for all of the data.  Did it seem to like any one load and/or bullet weight over another?

It's much less of a difference than you would get with blowback guns. Yes there's a difference between say American Eagle 115's compared to Syntech 150 but it's not nearly as wide a gap as you would get with say a pistol. Different shooters have preferred one load over another shot back to back but people seem to be all over the map. I wouldn't say anyone has really had time to sit down and test that rigorously with thousands of rounds with ammo being the way it is the past couple of years. 

The more important comparison is comparing the roller system to other operating systems. There's a vast difference in terms of recoil and dot movement when put against a blow back design. Your mind can to a large extent re prioritize mental capacity from recoil control to transitions, vision and movement. 

16 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

Add 125 gr C x 4.0 gr Titegroup to the list @Darqusoull13 😎

I have a GMR-15 and the JP-5 is noticeably easier to shoot. Even with unfamiliar furniture and different optic height, I was able to shoot as fast and distinctly remember that I didn't have to correct the muzzle positioning as much. Based on my feeling and no empirical data, I'd say it's roughly 40% easier to shoot. Once the receiver sets come out, I'll be SBRing one just to have an RDB that's not an MP5.

Haha, will do. 

Really hoping a vendor will have this on the demo table at Talladega. I still love my home-built blowback conglomeration but all this talk and hype really make me wonder.

Of course, I'm still scratching my brain why a "racegun" has a heavy maglite-looking handguard when they could easily commission a CF one with nice JP laser engraving.

1 hour ago, ampleworks said:

Really hoping a vendor will have this on the demo table at Talladega. I still love my home-built blowback conglomeration but all this talk and hype really make me wonder.

Of course, I'm still scratching my brain why a "racegun" has a heavy maglite-looking handguard when they could easily commission a CF one with nice JP laser engraving.

Brian at Hunters HD will have his. I'll also have mine you can shoot for comparison. 

Josh, Andre and Max should also have them. Not sure if Chris got his yet but there will be plenty at the match. 

As far as the hand guard, the MLOK is quite light. Barrel options will save more weight than swapping any hand guard. If you want a CF you can put one on. Personally I'm not a fan of those but that's the great part about AR platform. Put whatever you like on it if the factory options aren't your favorite. 

From articles I've read, headspace is somehow adjusted with the barrel nut, which means it must be some type of non-standard design.  Does that mean you can't use a non-JP specific handguard, like Smoke or something else that requires it's own barrel nut for mounting?

I got the chance to shoot a magazine of 150 Syntech through the Steel Challenge version, after Tuesday Night Steel at Rio earlier this week.  First, it felt very lightweight, especially compared to a legacy JP. Recoil was very soft. If these get out there, and are reliable, they will be very attractive. 

• 2 weeks later...