Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magazines for Carry Optics

Jeremyc_1999

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETS mags are the least reliable mags on the planet. Nothing but issues.

Use OEM glock mags with either Henning or Dawson basepads. I think Dawson might actually be my favorites. They have the easiest and most secure fitment of any of the aftermarket basepads and are still completely tool-less. Kind of genius, really. Dawsons are the only basepad I haven't had blow off the end of a mag after dropping it. The way it wraps around the entire bottom lip of the magazine is very slick, unlike all of the other brands I mentioned which just use a small pin at the rear.

TTI and Springer have both blown off for me. I haven't practiced/shot enough with Hennings for that to happen but I think it's possible, although definitely less likely due to the spring-loaded pin, as opposed to the tension pin on TTI.

44 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

ETS mags are the least reliable mags on the planet. Nothing but issues.

I've had zero issues with my ETS 140's.  None.  They changed the geometry of their floorplates a few years back and if you ask them they'll send you the updated ones for free.

I have a set in 9mm for CO and a set in .40 if I decide to shoot my Glock 22 in Limited (have a few times).  The 9mm have been through LOTS of matches.

YMMV, of course, and they're plastic mags, but they've been 100% for me.

Edited by mreed911

Just now, mreed911 said:

I've had zero issues with my ETS 140's.  None.  They changed the geometry of their floorplates a few years back and if you ask them they'll send you the updated ones for free.

YMMV, of course, and they're plastic mags, but they've been 100% for me.

I might have to give them a try.  I've tried some ETS mags in other Glocks and have had function issues. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I might have to give them a try.  I've tried some ETS mags in other Glocks and have had function issues. 

They're cheap enough to give one or two a try.  And calling them for new floorplates had them to my door in three days.

I've used OEM Glock mags with Taylor Freelance Plus 6 for decades in Limited Minor, long before CO Division. Never an issue, old and beat up, but still run fine.

Edited by 9x45

I run half a dozen Gen 4 mags with Dawson base pads and 2 Gen 5 mags with TTI's.  The Dawson's run flawlessly, but I typically only load them to 20 rounds.  The two mags with TTi pads both hold 23, not reloadable, but great for stage starts.

FYI, both TTI mags needed a little work to fit the gauge.  If you're using TTI's, check them before taking them to a major.

I went OEM with TTI basepads. The only issue I have is that the lips on the bottom of the mag get chewed up when I take off the basepads to clean the mags. They aren't to the point that they wont stay on but they look rough. 

2 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I went OEM with TTI basepads. The only issue I have is that the lips on the bottom of the mag get chewed up when I take off the basepads to clean the mags. They aren't to the point that they wont stay on but they look rough. 

I like the Zev extension for that reason. Dont have to slide the extension off, just slide the door off.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, kaufdrop271 said:

not sure these are legal length wise. Ymmv

Not even close to legal length. From their webpage:

These are too long for "Limited Class" magazines, limited class maximum length is 140.25mm. They will work for “Open Class” with a maximum length of 170.25mm.

It adds 1.655” to the length and overall mag length is 149.45mm.

I've used Arredondo, Dawson, Taylor Freelance, and TTI. 

Of these, the Arredondo extensions are the easiest to install, slip over the mag body and grip the entire base, hole 23 +1 easily reloadable, super easy to remove (I rarely remove them, but when I do, it's a painless process), secure, and have been reliable since purchased in 2009, and they fit the USPSA gauge. They used to be a lot less expensive than they are now.

Dawson, Taylor Freelance, and TTI are all also nice extensions, but getting the 23 rounds into them can be a pain. 

I agree on the Arredondo.  I have 4 I've used for close to 10 years now for limited originally and CO now.  No issues whatsoever.  They have proven to me to be very durable.  I have one Dawson, but it rubbed on the sides of the SJC magwell of my limited gun.  Otherwise it was great too.  I have one Taylor but do not like the screws needed to take it apart.

I also have some TTI for my MPX.  I cannot comment on their glock product, but their MPX product is top notch.  I've dropped loaded mags plenty of times with no spontaneous disassembly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 11:07 PM, rpm8300 said:

OEM with Taylor Freelance +5 - work very well and very economical.

This is what I've decided to go with.  They seem to work well for me.

Does anyone know if the Glock OEM 24 round mags I see at Shooters Connection are within the legal length?

They look like they would work well.

Just started running these. Love the way they handle. Shoot out of the magwell with ease. Super easy to take apart. 

Only have two matches on them - getting 23+1. Round 24 fits with relative ease into the tube.. but the slide won’t cycle. Hoping the spring wears in a bit and gets me the 24th reliably. 

BC1740F9-E7F6-4F2F-8553-86F22D1D73C4.jpeg

On 5/20/2021 at 7:27 AM, Cuz said:

This is what I've decided to go with.  They seem to work well for me.

Does anyone know if the Glock OEM 24 round mags I see at Shooters Connection are within the legal length?

They look like they would work well.

No but I wouldn't go with them - it will be too much of a pain to take the pads off and clean them in matches.  I've seen the MBX CO legal mags all over and I've only seen one have an issue.  The TF are super easy to remove and clean in a match and I like the fact that the use OEM 17 round mags which are plentiful.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:19 AM, Jim Watson said:

They are not, about 165mm.  

A friend's G34 was not happy with ETS although they are OK in my G17.

Dirty_J,

what mounting plate are you using for that SRO?  Glock OEM? Or someone elses?

1 minute ago, Cuz said:

Dirty_J,

what mounting plate are you using for that SRO?  Glock OEM? Or someone elses?

C&H. Takes out all the gaps between plate and slide and plate and optic. Very tight fit. 

Removable/replaceable steel T nuts with full thread engagement. 

https://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-glock-mos-to-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 3:16 PM, Edwards30 said:

Wanted to add, I can only load to 22 in my TTI equipped mags. If I load to the full 23, my gun will not cycle and instead short strokes and shoves the expanded spent brass back into the chamber. 
Ask me how I learned that lesson, haha!

I learned that lesson this past Saturday...lol