Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magazines for Carry Optics

Jeremyc_1999

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with the OEM mags and TTI extensions. I’m eventually going to switch to Henning base pads but there TTI work just fine. 

Another consideration is to get brass ones for the weight balance. 

One last thought, Magpul won’t work with magnets if you are adding one. 

Keep in mind a couple of things. The MBX mags are steel and can play hell long-term with the polymer mag catch wearing out in your Glock unless you are also changing that to a metal mag catch. As for brass basepads, Taylor Freelance makes nice ones and has a double warning about them posted on their website - they are much harder on the polymer Glock mags if you take them off a lot to clean the mag and are also much harder on the mag catch ledge on the mags and even the mag catch itself (especially Gen 4 Glocks) because of the added weight. If you can live with that, they have worked just fine for me for years. I generally use one to start at the very least. I get 22 or 23 in the mags with them depending on if I am starting with the mag or using it to reload - 23 is very tight.

6 minutes ago, Whitefish said:

Keep in mind a couple of things. The MBX mags are steel and can play hell long-term with the polymer mag catch wearing out in your Glock unless you are also changing that to a metal mag catch. As for brass basepads, Taylor Freelance makes nice ones and has a double warning about them posted on their website - they are much harder on the polymer Glock mags if you take them off a lot to clean the mag and are also much harder on the mag catch ledge on the mags and even the mag catch itself (especially Gen 4 Glocks) because of the added weight. If you can live with that, they have worked just fine for me for years. I generally use one to start at the very least. I get 22 or 23 in the mags with them depending on if I am starting with the mag or using it to reload - 23 is very tight.

I would definitely get a metal mag catch if I go with the MBX.  How much life are you getting out of your mags with the brass Taylor Freelance extensions? 

Wanted to add, I can only load to 22 in my TTI equipped mags. If I load to the full 23, my gun will not cycle and instead short strokes and shoves the expanded spent brass back into the chamber. 
Ask me how I learned that lesson, haha!

5 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

Wanted to add, I can only load to 22 in my TTI equipped mags. If I load to the full 23, my gun will not cycle and instead short strokes and shoves the expanded spent brass back into the chamber. 
Ask me how I learned that lesson, haha!

Good to know.  Thanks.  Do you know if the TTI for 9mm are the same as 40?  I did have some for my 40, but I don't know if I still have them.  I moved last summer and might have to go check out the storage unit. 

The brass Taylor Freelance basepads have been on the same mags for several years, but I rarely take them off to clean the mags and also only cram them full to 23 when it can make a real difference. That very tight 23rd round can also accelerate wear on the mag catch ledge and mag catch. Every Glock mag is different as to how tight that will be - even among different generations of Glock mags. 

I should have added that I use Arredondo polymer basepads a lot because we have sharp gravel surface bays around here and they stand up better to being dropped. Aluminum and even the brass basepads really get nicked up over time when dropped on that gravel.

Get 1 plus 6 TTI extension, or any reliable plus 6. Then get at least 2 magpul 21 rounders. You can start with 23 plus 1 and reload to a Magpul with 21, or start with 21 plus 1 and load to 22. I download to 22 so the TTI seats a little easier on the reload.

Hello, I am using factory Glock 17 round magazines with Arredondo base pads that I have had for over 14 years. I also use Zev base pads on factory 17 round magazines as well. I like both of these since I can take the magazine apart very easily to clean them. They also don't stress the spring when taking them apart. I use Magpul 21 round magazines. If you are going to use metal magazines you better use a metal magazine catch. The metal catch will be very hard on the factory or Magpul magazines. Dawson make a good base pad as well but I find them a little harder to remove than the Zev or Arredondo ones. The last base pad I am trying right now is a knockoff Zev that I found on Ebay. Seems to be working just fine so far on factory 17 round magazines. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I'm using OEM with TTI extensions.

23+1 start but really gotta jam that mag in there.  Usually have 21 in the ones on my belt.

That said the 21rd Magpuls are cheap options for secondary mags/practice.

6 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Good to know.  Thanks.  Do you know if the TTI for 9mm are the same as 40?  I did have some for my 40, but I don't know if I still have them.  I moved last summer and might have to go check out the storage unit. 

Yes they are the same I have some on my 40 mags and have swapped them around when needed.

I have some factory mags with dawson extensions as well as the magpul 21s that I've been running since they came out. Dawson's only come out at matches and training but the magpuls are run hard in local league shoots and 3gun and I've never had an issue with them. They are probably my most used magazines as I got them super cheap.

Mbx unfortunately doesn't seem to offer any more rnd than other options. So, I see zero reason to pay the extra price for those. 

I'd buy Henning baspads and put them on stock mags. 

Get a rag and spray Teflon or get a silicon treated rag. Wipe the mags. Keep pro grip off them. Wipe the inside of the grip down. Wipe everything just enough to coat. Not dripping wet. 

Learn to keep the gun virtical when dropping the mag. 

That's the best setup I've found. 

Edited by B_RAD

Stock 17 round glock mags with the +5 basepad of your choice, all verified against a mag gauge. Mine are stock gen 4 mags with TTI base pads.

And even armourall works good, used sparingly, to reduce the plastic on plastic friction of the mags with the frame.

Tight budget: Magpul 21 BUT frequently check the feed lips for cracking OR middle body for swelling

OEM and not as slim budget: OEM mag + Arredondo or Dawson extensions

Willing to spend some more and keep everything slim: OEM mag + Henning extensions

Light teflon spray on the mags.

Edited by TheChewycookie

I am in the crowd using OEM Glock mags with TTI extensions for 23+1.  TTI is who I use, I am sure that Taylor, Henning, whoever are great and I recommend you use the ones you want.  Where I differ from some of the posts above is, I reload from the belt with standard OEM Glock 17 round magazine.  Very rarely have I needed more than 10 rounds with my reload.  If there were 2 primary areas of engagement, when the first area may fire 8-12 shots and the second area fires 18-20 shots, then I would plan to reload with another 23 round magazine.  I have small hands, so reloading the standard mags are easy and quicker for me.