Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magazines for Carry Optics

Jeremyc_1999

4 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I luckily learned that in practice last week. Can fit 23 but won't cycle.

Try the Arredondo extensions.

I easily get 23 reloadable, with no cycling issues.

Not as Gucci as the TTI ro Taylor Freelance units, but let's be real, it's a Glock. No amount of bling will change that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Try the Arredondo extensions.

I easily get 23 reloadable, with no cycling issues.

Not as Gucci as the TTI ro Taylor Freelance units, but let's be real, it's a Glock. No amount of bling will change that.

I'll take a look. This was with a Dawson extension. I can fit 23 but it won't cycle and gets locked up like halfway back.

Pretty much why I've been running pmags since I can get 21 rounds for $12 vs 22 rounds for $50.

• 5 weeks later...

anyone else running Arredondo extensions not getting a lock back on empty? I’ve only noticed it with my Arredondo magazine combos, every other mag combo including magpul or factory lock back. I know - don’t run the gun dry- but I heard good things about Arredondo baseplates 

3 hours ago, Ajsomp said:

anyone else running Arredondo extensions not getting a lock back on empty? I’ve only noticed it with my Arredondo magazine combos, every other mag combo including magpul or factory lock back. I know - don’t run the gun dry- but I heard good things about Arredondo baseplates 

No issues since 2009, in a G35 or when I moved the extensions to my G17 mags.

17 minutes ago, chubs3a said:

big fan of Arrendondos.  I have had the Dawson extensions in the past, but got rid of them as over time the extensions wore down the bottom part of the mag.  Dropped a full mag and everything blew up lol.

You don’t change mag bodies annually? 

57 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Who does that? And why?

Well. They’re like $25 for a complete OEM mag. So.., if you’re paying $150 to shoot a major… most folks recognize that magazines are wear parts and should be replaced with use. 🤦‍♀️

2 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Well. They’re like $25 for a complete OEM mag. So.., if you’re paying $150 to shoot a major… most folks recognize that magazines are wear parts and should be replaced with use. 🤦‍♀️

Makes sense. I don't shoot many major matches, so not something I would have thought of.

I would think replacing magazines would be based on a lot of variables.  One of the big factors being cost.  At 25$ a piece I could see an argument for changing them out sooner than later.  Sig mags are 50$ a piece but I have yet to see any issue with them so I will not be replacing them anytime soon.   I swap out the springs and followers annually or based on a round count.  Just springs and followers.

13 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I would think replacing magazines would be based on a lot of variables.  One of the big factors being cost.  At 25$ a piece I could see an argument for changing them out sooner than later.  Sig mags are 50$ a piece but I have yet to see any issue with them so I will not be replacing them anytime soon.   I swap out the springs and followers annually or based on a round count.  Just springs and followers.

For metal tubes… this is reasonable I think. 

Glock tubes swell. The locking tabs for base plates wear. 

Just gotta watch for feedlip fatigue on the metal mags. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:34 AM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

MBX?

Magpul?
Factory OEM With extended base plates? If so, which ones? 

It looks like the MBX can get 23-24 rounds with the competition follower, but they are expensive.  Figured I'd ask before I drop the $

MBX for 23+1

Factory mag with taylor freelance brass pad

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2021 at 7:20 AM, Dirty_J said:

For metal tubes… this is reasonable I think. 

Glock tubes swell. The locking tabs for base plates wear. 

Just gotta watch for feedlip fatigue on the metal mags. 

They last longer if you don't disassemble them all the time.

I can't recall the last time I had a malfunction on a Glock that was caused by a magazine that wasn't cleaned. Shake it, if nothing rattles, load it and shoot.

I also can't recall the last time I disassembled a Glock magazine other than to install the Arredondo extension.

Most of my Glock magazines are over ten years old. 

35 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

They last longer if you don't disassemble them all the time.

I can't recall the last time I had a malfunction on a Glock that was caused by a magazine that wasn't cleaned. Shake it, if nothing rattles, load it and shoot.

I also can't recall the last time I disassembled a Glock magazine other than to install the Arredondo extension.

Most of my Glock magazines are over ten years old. 

You don’t ever replace the magazine springs??

6 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

You don’t ever replace the magazine springs??

Nope.

But again, I don't shoot major matches, so if my stuff does fail (it doesn't), it's not the end of the world.

Plus my logic on changing springs is that the valve springs in my car gets exponentially more cycles in one road trip as any gun spring gets in its life, and under much harsher conditions, so it's not something I worry about. I also don't clean my Glocks, or other plastic guns. 

That's me, I'm not trying to convince anybody to do things the way I do (truth be told, following my example is probably not the best idea), do what works for you. 

I've been running the same 10 or so mags, glock with extensions and 21 round pmags for like 6 years now without issue. Same springs, same followers, same everything. I only clean them when they get dropped in the mud or wet.

Probably not the best example to follow but I haven't had any issues. If I was planning to shoot majors I'd break out some new Glock mags and extensions but I only shoot locally so I only replace things when they break.

Being that I shoot glocks, I always try to pick up extra nearly new mags when the GSSF comes to town each year. I got a bunch of pretty much new gen 5 17 mags 2 years ago that I'll use to replace my current mags when needed and shift those down to practice mags.

Recently switched to Glocks and I'm using OEM mags with Strike Industries +5 extensions.  Super easy to install, gets me to 22 rounds with no trouble reloading, fit the gauge, and cost less than $30 including a new, longer spring.

I also have a couple of ETS 22 rounders but only use them for practice.  The springs are junk and lose temper with little use.  They're so weak after 3-4 uses that the follower won't lock the slide open.

4 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

You?  :D  What made you see the light?

Did you dump all those CZs?

LOLOLOL

I tried one, and then I realized the grip that so many hate is why Glock is Perfection.

It points effortlessly and the thicker grip makes recoil control stupid easy.

Now I have a 17 for CO and a 19 for carry.

My P-10C got traded for a second SRO, but I still have all my other CZs.

I'm gonna have to split this into a separate thread!

I'll admit that part of what I like about my Glocks over my CZ, is it doesn't require any special tools or tooling. No pin-punches or roll-pins needed (or deformed). My SP-01 was one worked to goodness by Matt Mink. Besides Angus, he was the go-to guy. AIIRC, he was schooled up by Angus. 

I love shooting it, but I hate working on it compared to simplicity.

43 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

I'll admit that part of what I like about my Glocks over my CZ, is it doesn't require any special tools or tooling.

I was shocked at how simple Glocks are inside.  The P-10 comes close, but still falls short.

It took me less than 30 min to do a 25 cent trigger job and change the connector including disassembly and reassembly

16 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I was shocked at how simple Glocks are inside.  The P-10 comes close, but still falls short.

It took me less than 30 min to do a 25 cent trigger job and change the connector including disassembly and reassembly

I had a case separation in a Glock that blew the extractor into orbit, damaged the mag catch, trigger, and slide stop, and made my hand bleed.

After checking the gun over for major damage to the frame, barrel, or slide (there was none), I replaced the damaged parts and finished the match.

The best part of Glocks is that you can keep almost every internal part in your bag, and it doesn't cost you a ton of money, and because no tools other than a Glock tool (the punch thingy) are required, repairs can be made fast. I've given parts to cats at matches who've had issues, without concerning myself about getting paid for the parts because they're so cheap. 

Also because every part in a Glock is commercially available (OEM and "improved", or "performance" versions), restocking your parts kit is easy.

Not many other guns can say that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with robertg5322 on the Glock, they are a work horse, but that is how they were designed.  I have used them as my work gun for many ,many years. Parts are cheap, easy to work on. Folks have tried to make the trigger better since they came out. A lot of companies has made a good living on the parts. I personally have to really focus on my trigger control to shoot it accurate . Now I need to get some mags to hold more bullets. I just keep getting drawn back to a Glock for it simply working time after time. I wish I had all of the money back that I have spent on my 1911's, the house would be paid for. Still have thousands tied up in the 1911's that I currently have, but I am now trying to find a top end for a Glock. The trigger will never be a 1911, but that is the striker fired design. It is what it is, the Glock is tough to beat.