Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO alternatives

o27

31 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Trijicon is king when it comes to reliability

The RMR is a solid unit, but IMO the SRO is junk. I had an SRO die within 30 days, Trijicon sent me a replacement it died before I got it mounted. In addition to my 2 SRO failures, I know of a few more.

3 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Well, I guess a sample size of two settles it.

I have sold 128 in last year and 5 failed I know of. Maybe more I do not know of if customer dealt directly with Trijicon. Compared to RMR which I have sold several hundred over several years with not a single known failure.

How many have you sold to determine "Trijicon is king when it comes to reliability"? Please share with us your statistics.

1 hour ago, ahfox32 said:

I like the FTP Alpha dot. To me it has a good field of view, nice dot, and is less $$$ than the SRO. 

I have three of these and they are working great. I have about 5-6 friends who bought/use these since I told them about them earlier in the last year. They sell out fast though.

1 hour ago, Umbrarian said:

I have sold 128 in last year and 5 failed I know of. Maybe more I do not know of if customer dealt directly with Trijicon. Compared to RMR which I have sold several hundred over several years with not a single known failure.

How many have you sold to determine "Trijicon is king when it comes to reliability"? Please share with us your statistics.

My stats are way more than 5 failures in way less than 128 samples of the Romeo 3 Max, the Deltapoint Pro and the SRO.  Many thousands of rounds through all of them.

Of the competitors in that space, SROs are the king of reliability.  Romeo 3 Max's break 4x as often and Deltapoints at least 3x as often.  I don't have personal experience with the RTS2, but I've seen those break more than SROs too.  The FTP I have no data on but heard mostly good things.

5 minutes ago, shred said:

My stats are way more than 5 failures in way less than 128 samples of the Romeo 3 Max, the Deltapoint Pro and the SRO.

Of the competitors in that space, SROs are the king of reliability.  Romeo 3 Max's break 4x as often and Deltapoints at least 3x as often.  I don't have personal experience with the RTS2, but I've seen those break more than SROs too.  The FTP I have no data on but heard mostly good things.

Are they breaking under use, or as a result of defects? 4 of the 5 SROs I know of just failed to power up after having worked at least once prior. Only one failed during shooting.

3 hours ago, ahfox32 said:

I like the FTP Alpha dot. To me it has a good field of view, nice dot, and is less $$$ than the SRO. 

I’m in Denmark, Europe, so none of those over here unfortunately 

RTS2s have worked ok for me on open guns but not on slide mounted guns - they have failed quickly on production optic guns. Plus the dot quality/brightness of the RTS2 is not as good as other dots.

I have had no issues with 2 Romeo 3 Max XLs on open guns, and 2 SROs - one on an open gun and one on a production optic gun.  I did have one SRO arrive DOA and was returned to the vendor.

I have a DPP on my S2 OR that has close to 35k rounds on it and it continues to run with no issues but it is only a 2.5 MOA dot and not as bright as I would like.

I currently like the the Romeo 3 Max XL the best so far due to dot quality and field of view.  The SRO comes in second. Dot quality is good, but field of view is taller vs wider like the Max XL. The controls of the SRO are not as easy to use as the Max XL either.

I've had great luck with the SRO. Been using one on CO guns for about a year. Before that, I had a rotation of 3 DPPs that were in and out of customer service on a pretty regular basis (at one point they had 2 of my 3 optics at the same time). Great customer service at Leupold, by the way. Just not something you want to have to keep using.

On 11/22/2020 at 4:00 PM, Umbrarian said:

Guess you told him!  

They all seem to be problematic, nature of the beast.

I've used them all, some hold up great others don't

I've settled on the Sig's cause I've got three that have lots of rounds on them and have no problems.

One DPP going on a new build 

We'll see how it goes, other DPP's have been good overall with 1 going back for service,

It's like reloading to me, if you're going to shoot a lot you have to reload a lot.

If you're going to shoot slide mounted optics you're going to have to replace them occasionally.

FWIW

I’ve got better than 14k on a stock2 using a SRO and an egw plate on top. Only issue I’ve had is a plate shearing a boss and screw. EGW replaced the plate right away. I’ve put a rmr on my open slide using the same EGW plate. Only 25 rounds through it 🤓

Well, the first of my three went down two days ago.  It was frame mounted on a Open gun.  Dot turned off after the first shot and could not be turned back on again.  I took it home, changed the battery and fiddled with it.  Got the dot to come back on.  Went to the range.  Dot went out after the fourth shot.  It's on the way back now.  Trouble is they estimate 8 weeks for repair.  I robbed one from my PCC.  I put the Railway back on.  Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, JDIllon said:

Anyone shooting the Sig Romeo3 XL? and if so do you know the screw pattern? I really like red dots with lg windows. It's an age thing. Thanks, JD

I have 4 of them.  They are great.  They are the same pattern as the RTS2 but a little longer. 

Edited by echotango

On 11/22/2020 at 9:24 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

It seems the Leupold Delta Point Pro and the SIG Romeo 3 Max are the closest

Trijicon is king when it comes to reliability

The SRO breaks a little bit less often than everything else, but it’s like all the other large slide ride dots out there: unlike their other optics... you do need a spare.

It’s not bulletproof. It’s just another dot.
Source: at least half a dozen guys who run one hard that I’ve talked to have broken one.