Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO alternatives

o27

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The SRO breaks a little bit less often than everything else, but it’s like all the other large slide ride dots out there: unlike their other optics... you do need a spare.

It’s not bulletproof. It’s just another dot.
Source: at least half a dozen guys who run one hard that I’ve talked to have broken one.

I know everything breaks.  That doesn't change Trijicon's superior record of reliability.  They break a lot less often than everything else.

I'm still waiting for one or both of my two Trijicons to break: an RMR with close to 11,000 rounds and an SRO that just went over 4K.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

6 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I know everything breaks.  That doesn't change Trijicon's superior record of reliability.  They break a lot less often than everything else.

I'm still waiting for one or both of my two Trijicons to break: an RMR with close to 11,000 rounds and an SRO that just went over 4K.

Those are rookie numbers when it comes to first hand experience.

25 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Those are rookie numbers when it comes to first hand experience.

Non sequitur

If Trijicons go even longer without breaking, my point is made even more.

How long should I expect others go before breaking?  This forum is full of people breaking DPPs and other lesser brands long before the round counts I've made it to.

What's your round count on something other than Trijicon before it breaks?

Edited by SGT_Schultz

FWIW, my first FF3 8 MOA was dovetail mounted on a 1911 45.  The little plastic cover over the diode broke after 40,000 rounds.  The dot still worked fine, but Burris wanted it back.  Another FF3 8 MOA decided it didn't like to hold zero.  Both were sent back and replaced.

Two of my three RTS2v4 6 MOAs had to be sent back before they were ever mounted on a gun.  The screws holding the base on protruded and the mount would not have been able to sit flat.  All still work, but there aren't that many rounds on any of them.  None of them will go a whole batch on a fresh battery.

One of my DPP 2.5s decided it didn't want to stay on after about 5000 rounds (slide mounted).

One of my three SRO 5 MOAs died after 7,000 rounds while frame mounted on one of my Open guns.

So far I have many more rounds fired with the FF#s and they seem to hold up the best.  I don't like them as much as the SRO and DPP, but they last longer.

5 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Non sequitur

How long should I expect others go before breaking?

What's your round count on something other than Trijicon before it breaks.

Last year I put 60k on 4 Romeo 3 XLs. Highest one had about 30k. 2 had the intensity down button break and had to be sent back, however they were promptly repaired by sig. I didn’t have a single failure under match conditions last year, which was a first.  

In 2019 I had 4 SROs break in about 50k. One had the dot become fuzzy, the other 3 wouldn’t hold zero. All 4 were repaired with no issue. But I had problems in actual matches and that is super frustrating. 

In 2018 I broke 12 delta point pros over the course of about 80k rounds. They’ve been redesigned, but I still wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot pole. 

IMO getting 10k guaranteed out of a dot with no issues is about as good as it gets right now. Both the r3 and SRO are mostly there right now. Hopefully it gets even better with the next gen.  

On 12/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

I have two original DPPs with 5,000 and 8,000 rounds on them respectively, but I don’t consider them a reliable optic just because I happen to be an outlier. Nor should you, with your SRO - particularly because most of the competition dots tend to break between 5k and 15k.

The RMR is amazingly phenomenal and will likely never fail unless the batteries die. No one disputes that.

There have just been large numbers of SROs going down, right about the same rate as a Sig or 5th gen CMore RTS2 optic. If you watch your friends have failures, they simply aren’t gifted with Trijicon’s combat grade reliability like their rifle optics and the RMR. People only hope/expect them to be better because they have TRIJICON written on the side.

I’m not smack talking them. I’d put an SRO on a carry optics gun if I built it tomorrow, but not because I expected it to run forever.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

32 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I have two original DPPs with 5,000 and 8,000 rounds on them respectively, but I don’t consider them a reliable optic just because I happen to be an outlier. Nor should you, with your SRO - particularly because most of the competition dots tend to break between 5k and 15k.

The RMR is amazingly phenomenal and will likely never fail unless the batteries die. No one disputes that.

There have just been large numbers of SROs going down, right about the same rate as a Sig or 5th gen CMore RTS2 optic. If you watch your friends have failures, they simply aren’t gifted with Trijicon’s combat grade reliability like their rifle optics and the RMR. People only hope/expect them to be better because they have TRIJICON written on the side.

I’m not smack talking them. I’d put an SRO on a carry optics gun if I built it tomorrow, but not because I expected it to run forever.

Locally I haven't heard of anyone with a broken SRO.  Yeah, anecdotal, but so is everyone else's estimate of their optics' reliability.

It has to be so, because none of us have access to Leupold's/Trijicon's/SIG's/CMore's/whoever's production numbers, return rates, and failure analysis data.

PS my SRO just tallied 4360 rounds (and the pistol it's on 10,183 rounds) fired so both are entering the bubble, it seems.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I have yet to hear or read anyone having to send a SRO back for repair. Many well past 15,000 (outside of this post). With that said I would expect any slide mounted optic to have some sort of an expiration date. Treat them as a consumable at some level unfortunately. 

Edited by Boomstick303

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have yet to hear or read anyone having to send a SRO back for repair. Many well past 15,000. With that said I would expect any slide mounted optic to have some sort of an expiration date. Treat them as a consumable at some level unfortunately. 

‘there are multiple instances in this post where people have stated they’ve sent a SRO in for repair. 3 posts above this one I mentioned I’ve sent in 4 for repair......

1 minute ago, Rich406 said:

‘there are multiple instances in this post where people have stated they’ve sent a SRO in for repair. 3 posts above this one I mentioned I’ve sent in 4 for repair......

News to me. I believe Trijicon changed their battery door design. I believe it was the o ring that was used to seal the battery door was changed. Could be wrong. I had the battery door loosen up on on the first SRO I bought. No problems since tightening it up a bit. Curious to why the QC seems to be all over the place with just about every optic out there. My first SRO was bought in the first batch that was distributed.  Well over 20k rounds on it. No issues to date. I have two others between 5-10k each respectively no issues. Had to send the Romeo 3 Max in to be replaced with less than 500 rounds on it. Would not zero. Guess we all have our personal experience to define our preferences. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, o27 said:

SRO keeps being unavailable, any thought so some of the cheaper brands like: https://www.ipscstore.com/en/vector-optics/10566-vector-optics-scrd-36-frenzy-1x22x26-mos-red-dot-sight.html

seems to have similar window as the SRO

Ive only recently acquired one SRO and like it, but I’m also using the Holosun HS507C on multiple other guns and like that as an alternative. I definitely like the SRO better. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2021 at 5:35 AM, o27 said:

SRO keeps being unavailable, any thought so some of the cheaper brands like: https://www.ipscstore.com/en/vector-optics/10566-vector-optics-scrd-36-frenzy-1x22x26-mos-red-dot-sight.html

seems to have similar window as the SRO

Dragging up an old thread/post. So, how has the Vector held up? Looks like a cheap SRO knockoff.

I've recently watched a few videos and it looks ok. But not info from a competitor with high round counts.

• 2 weeks later...

I may get boo'd for this but I tried a Romeo 2 after failure from a Romeo 1 pro and trying the delta point and losing the dot in the sun a few times.  Put about 10,000 rounds through the Romeo 2 with no shroud. 

The brightness is almost too much on highest setting, took care of any issues losing the dot when the sun was down range. 

I feel like the battery life is just so much longer with the magnetic shut off..... I took a similar size magnet and heated a Redhill tactical holster up with a heat gun and formed the sight post groove around it then glued it in.

It's a little heavier than the SRO, and on full brightness you get some bloom but it's fairly solid considering it's a duty optic.

I have a buddy who has an SRO on the same platform and have shot a few hundred rounds comparing it to the Romeo 2.  The SRO seems a little clearer but not as bright on max.  The window is taller on the SRO but the Romeo 2 is about the same width.  The Romeo 2 also sits lower and has really good rear sight cuts for co witnessing. 

Haven’t we already proved conclusively in other threads here that all slide mounted red dots suck and will fail eventually. It’s just a matter of when, and that “when” is different for everyone. There isn’t a red dot out there that hasn’t failed yet for someone. Maybe a bad batch was made during covid and they are failing a bit more often??

I think it’s more important to pick a dot that you like and works for you, from a reliable manufacturer, and then get a 2nd one to mount on your backup gun so you’ll be ready when your particular dot fails on you. Hopefully it will be in a practice session rather than a match, since you “should” spend more time practicing. 

For me, I went with a 5moa SRO, on a milled slide, and don’t regret it for a second. And yes, it broke when I went to change the battery, turns out the tiny battery contacts broke inside. Trijicon replaced it without any issues, but the whole process took a month. No biggie, because I had a spare to use in the meantime. 

Edited by Cuz