Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you were to start over now knowing what you do about reloading...

Mancolt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with a Lee Oframe single stage,,, well actually I started with a lee loader that didnt use a press, it used a hammer. Then got a 550. I liked it but am really starting to hate the thing and dread using it.  Constant primer feed issues. Have to fight with it an hour every time I sit down. Probably time for a new press. As the primer feeder is new.

But If I could start over I would have bought a decent turret press. As back then I loaded hunting ammo, and small amounts of handgun.

I then woulda gone to a square deal B and kept the turret for rifle then a second SDB , 1 for large and 1 for small primers. Couple good deals camy buy for 45 acp not to long ago, wish I had got one. As I am now mainly shooting bowling pins and 45.

I started with a Dillon square deal B, returned it within dillons trial period. Bought a 650 and used that for about 6 months before upgrading to the 1050. 6 months after that I bought a Mark 7 auto drive. 

in hindsight, I wish I would have just started with the 1050.

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

oh also the primer tube loader from DAA is excellent. I bought 6 tubes to use with it and honestly I only need one. 

Did you have to fuss with it at all for it to run well? I heard complains when they first came out but haven't been keeping up on it.  I load mostly Federal Primers which work ok in my vibra prime but I would like to move to something a bit easier.

I started with a LEE Classic Turret press, still have it, and still use it. After about 6 years of reloaded I upgraded to a Dillion 750 progressive. I wish I would have done that sooner. Also when I first started for the first few years, I cleaned primer pockets in my 9mm brass with a tool. I did this for about 20K rounds, now I don't clean them, but I do deprime after I tumble. Knowing now that cleaning primer pockets in pistol reloading is really not necessary, I wish I had the time back I spent doing that. :)

supplies and cracking the whip...

while I am a biiig proponent of get what you think you need for a year or

are pretty sure you will use within a couple of years...

I have decided that most shortages are either very small in duration

like a month ish, or that is a big OR...

it will be two years till reasonable replenishment.

when you stock up, take some time, get what you need

and allow the supplies to get to all who need...

last shortage that didn't happen,  no reason to think it will this time.

luck in your hunting.

miranda

Another item I thought of, along with the recent post about stocking up 1/2 years worth of components, is trying to stick with one powder. I moved around and used about 6 various powders, and that can complicate your process and documentation, @ie notes. Now I stick to two powders, and stock them heavily. 

Hard to argue with Boomstick's analysis. If you've got the funds then go as big as you can. 

I would imagine there are very few people who moved from a 550/650/750 to a 1050/1100 and later thought "I wish I hadn't done that."

Somewhat analogous to buying a safe: How many people wish they'd bought a bigger one to start with?

On 12/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, cnote said:

Buy a 550, then keep it forever as a backup or alternate press for another "less used' caliber.  Eventually a progressive that you can leave alone for your go to load.

Yup, that's what I did.  Bought a 550b back in 1994 sometime, and I am waiting on delivery of my RL1100 this week.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, ts199982 said:

Another item I thought of, along with the recent post about stocking up 1/2 years worth of components, is trying to stick with one powder. I moved around and used about 6 various powders, and that can complicate your process and documentation, @ie notes. Now I stick to two powders, and stock them heavily. 

I agree that it makes sense to stick with one powder.  However I do think it's valuable (when times are good and powder plentiful) to try out s few different ones just in case a great deal comes along where you can get a good haul of your 2nd favorite powder really cheap.  I stay connected to local forums and look at the bulletin boards at the ranges and buy up supplies from people who are "getting rid of" what they have.  I've picked up pounds of powder and thousands of bullets for pennies on the dollar that way.

As for starting out, I initially went with a Hornady lock and Load Progressive.  I was only loading 9mm, 38 Special, and .45acp, so I went slowly and carefully.  I picked up a single stage Lyman press when I started loading .308.

I’m a new member to this forum.  I read this forum a lot to and I think I’m getting some good advice from people that love to load and shoot.  I will say this, you guys are awesome!!

I’m very new to reloading hand gun (9mm) ammo.  Although, I did load on a progressive shotgun loader for years. In 2019, I though it would be fun to try my hand at shooting USPSA & Steel Challenge with factor ammo.  Loved every minute and decided to go all in on reloading.  I’m 71 years old….. So in 2020 I starting my second year of shooting, and decided to begin reloading.  

I bought an STI DVC Steel 9mm for Open Division and use my duty gun, a Sig P320 for the Carry Optics Division and sent it off to put a competition trigger in it. I then purchased the following stuff.  Work with me here, I’m setting the table to ask what to do next.

I purchased:

·        Single stage RCBS Rock Chuker and Dillion 9mm dies. 

·        20,00 rounds of plated and Poly Blue Bullets

·        20,000 primers (bought in February before the run on ammo in March)

·        20 lbs. of powder

·        Frankford Arsenal Platinum wet rotary tumbler

·        Hornaday Powder measure with competition power measure

·        30,000 9mm brass casings that I de-primed and cleaned ready to load

I ordered, in late October, a Dillion RL1100. I figure to keep the dirty process of de-priming on the RCBS even though I clean the brass before de-priming and after de-priming.  Hey, I got plenty of time on my hands and I’m OCD about clean stuff.  Did I mention I was 71 too?  It currently takes me 30 minutes to load a box of shells on the single stage loader, since all the shells are cleaned and ready to go, I'm not counting that time in the process.

After reading everyone comments, should I keep the RL1100 that is still on back order or cancel? Should I buy 2, 750’s or 2, 550’s or….  What would you guys do. I want the next move to be the right move.  Appreciate you guys.

2 hours ago, go4elk said:

After reading everyone comments, should I keep the RL1100 that is still on back order or cancel? Should I buy 2, 750’s or 2, 550’s or….  What would you guys do. I want the next move to be the right move.  Appreciate you guys.

OP here. Is money a factor for you? I think that's usually the trade-off that determines your choices. You either have more time than money or vice versa. And if you have more time, then use what you have whether it's the most efficient option or not. If you'd like to save time, then there may be a purchase you could make that helps make you more efficient.

Since you already have the RL1100 on order, I personally would keep that and then get used to using that and reassess in a few months whether an extra 550 or 750 would help you save a bunch of time. If you're just doing 9mm, from what I've gathered, having a 2nd progressive press may not save a ton of time. I think a lot of people use a 2nd progressive press for processing rifle brass or leave their main one set up for their most popular caliber and the extra press set up for their 2nd most popular caliber.

I went with a 750 to start for my volume reloading. I could envision myself long term also getting an RL1100 or Mark 7 Evo. But I would put myself in the more money than time category, and will be doing a lot to ensure I'm being as efficient as possible in my reloading.

3 hours ago, go4elk said:

Keep your RL1100 order. I already had a 550 and ordered an 1100 when it initially came out. However, I didn’t have patience for waiting so I bought a 650. Once I received the 1100, I sold the 650 for pretty much the same amount I spent on it including upgrades and still have the 550.

To me, the 550 and 1100 compliment each other. I have the 1100 setup for small primer while the 550 is setup for large primer.

3 hours ago, go4elk said:

I’m a new member to this forum.  I read this forum a lot to and I think I’m getting some good advice from people that love to load and shoot.  I will say this, you guys are awesome!!

I’m very new to reloading hand gun (9mm) ammo.  Although, I did load on a progressive shotgun loader for years. In 2019, I though it would be fun to try my hand at shooting USPSA & Steel Challenge with factor ammo.  Loved every minute and decided to go all in on reloading.  I’m 71 years old….. So in 2020 I starting my second year of shooting, and decided to begin reloading.  

I bought an STI DVC Steel 9mm for Open Division and use my duty gun, a Sig P320 for the Carry Optics Division and sent it off to put a competition trigger in it. I then purchased the following stuff.  Work with me here, I’m setting the table to ask what to do next.

I purchased:

·        Single stage RCBS Rock Chuker and Dillion 9mm dies. 

·        20,00 rounds of plated and Poly Blue Bullets

·        20,000 primers (bought in February before the run on ammo in March)

·        20 lbs. of powder

·        Frankford Arsenal Platinum wet rotary tumbler

·        Hornaday Powder measure with competition power measure

·        30,000 9mm brass casings that I de-primed and cleaned ready to load

I ordered, in late October, a Dillion RL1100. I figure to keep the dirty process of de-priming on the RCBS even though I clean the brass before de-priming and after de-priming.  Hey, I got plenty of time on my hands and I’m OCD about clean stuff.  Did I mention I was 71 too?  It currently takes me 30 minutes to load a box of shells on the single stage loader, since all the shells are cleaned and ready to go, I'm not counting that time in the process.

It sounds to me that you will be reloading for two platforms: 9mm major for your open gun and 9mm minor for your CO gun.

If true then that simplifies things a bit as you don't need to mess around with changing from larger primer to small and back again.

Rather than buy two presses I'd pick a press and buy two toolheads. One for your 9major load and one for the CO load.

Then the question is which press? For a volume shooter I believe the only decision is 650/750 vs. 1050/1100. The 550 is a great press but for cranking out volume, month after month, year after year... then I'd vote for an auto-indexing progressive.

A corollary would be does your volume justify automation?

If it does then the RL1100 for sure.

Another factor: I'm 71 also. And I'm slowly coming around to the fact that I'm not going to live for ever and if I want to do it I'd better do it now.

What I'm trying to say is that if funds are available don't sell yourself short. Get what you really want whatever that might be. Let the kids squabble over and question "why did Daddy buy all this crap?" Go for it and don't look back.

I just got started this last fall after deciding to get into 3 gun in March and really had no experience or anyone to mentor me.  My plan is to load 9mm and 223 so I purchased a Dillon 750 and a Lee APP to process brass.  I am still learning and relatively new to this but here is some of my experience. 

1. This board and its members have been invaluable in learning.  There are many here quick to share experience and knowledge that have made the journey a lot less painful.  For 9mm there are many many good threads and info on this site for getting set up and load recipes and info on components.

2. If I were loading only 9mm pistol personally I would not buy a Dillon 1100.  I really don't see the point if only loading 9mm and the cost difference is fairly large and I would use that extra $$ for other tools you may need or want that make the process easier.  ddc already commented just buy a second toolhead and die setup for the 750.  If you wanted to load high volume 223 rifle rounds I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 1100 as it seems like it would be much faster for rifle with the swage and extra stations.

3. Auto-indexing press.  I know a lot of people on here love their 550 but as a new reloader I would not buy a 550 with a manual index.  The risk of a double charge on a 550 seems like a much more real possibility that it does on a 750.  I know its not impossible to double charge on a 750 but IMO there is less of a chance with a shell plate that auto advances everytime you pull the handle.  If you want to learn all the steps in the process first just get a single stage press to learn on which can also be useful for other small tasks later.

4. Die selection.  I would spend extra time here figuring out which dies to use how they actually work along with the differences in the brands and types.   This was not that easy this year since finding anything specific you wanted has been difficult to say the least.  I purchased Lee die sets and have been selectively replacing/upgrading dies ever since.  For me on 9mm I have a Lee sizing/de-priming die which seems adequate.  I upgraded to the MBF Powder funnel which is a popular upgrade for the Dillon Powder measure.  I switch to the Dillon seating die since it is JUST a seating die but adjusting seating depth is a PIA so I just purchased a 3rd seating die which is a Redding Mic die.  A Lee Factory crimp die is different than a standard crimp die and does not work as well with bullets with a larger diameter than .355 which are most coated 9mm bullets.   I managed to get the Lee FCD die set up correctly to work with .356 bullets but again would have been easier to just get a standard crimp die to begin with.

5. Sort your brass by headstamp before setting up your press for the first time.  It may not be necessary to sort brass after you get it set up and running the way you want but for figuring things out initially it will make things easier especially if you are even slightly OCD.  Sorting out your press set up and dies will be easier since there are variations in brass with different manufacturers.  IMO Blazer and FC are the easiest to load and get running consistently. 

6. Consider a single stage press as a second press for smaller tasks and testing things.  Sorting out how to load and process rifle brass is a bit more of a process.  I bought the Lee APP for processing rifle brass which worked but I am going to set up the 750 for this process instead of continuing to re-invent the wheel with the APP.  I wish I would have purchased just a single stage press instead of the APP to do various tasks on.  

7. While I was able to de-prime, swage, trim and size my rifle brass all on the Lee APP it is going to be MUCH less of a project on the 750 with a second toolhead set up with the Dillon case trimmer, RCBS small base sizing die and a swage it set up in the primer spot.  I am in the process of getting this set up now.

8. Take your time don't be in a hurry to buy stuff or getting your press set up correctly, especially in today's times.  You can find most everything you will need or want with a little searching and patience.  Don't pay ridiculous prices for stuff on ebay or GB just because something is on back order.  A lot of manufacturers and retailers will sell stuff on BO and it will eventually show up.  I have found everything I have needed both in equipment and components since I started in buying stuff in October.  Yes even primers, small pistol is very difficult but I am still today finding small rifle and large pistol primers in stock at various LGS.  FYI Midway just had Federal SPP in stock for a very very brief time just yesterday.

I am still a newb myself and still learning by reading a lot online and practicing so take my advice for what it is worth.  For me the whole process has been enjoyable and had brought my interest in shooting to a whole new level.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, waktasz said:

oh also the primer tube loader from DAA is excellent. I bought 6 tubes to use with it and honestly I only need one. 

On 12/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, wurm said:

Did you have to fuss with it at all for it to run well? I heard complains when they first came out but haven't been keeping up on it.  I load mostly Federal Primers which work ok in my vibra prime but I would like to move to something a bit easier.

@wurm the DAA primer tube loader runs well if you have relatively "clean" primers.  The mechanism rolls them around until they reach the correct orientation to be pulled around a circular plate that moves them up to the loading chute.  When they are rolling around, some of the primer compound has a tendancy to come out and slow down the primers sliding around and clog the holes leading to the outside of the plate.  Winchester primers are notorious for this (thousands of small rifle on hand.... doh!) and the machine requires cleaning once every 1,000 primers or so.  Pledge furniture polish makes all the plastic surfaces much slicker so the primers move well after this is applied to the rotating plate.  A Q-Tip is used to clean the "chute" and apply a very small amount of Pledge to this area.  The primers slide down the chute and under the optic sendor and then are pushed sideways into the primer tube.  Primer tube alignment is also critical as the primers must free fall into the tube after being pushed sideways.  If it's not aligned correctly, the primers back up on the chute until the optic sensor detects them and shuts down the machine.

The big improvement over the original version was an improved circulating plate with closer tolerances and some scoring done on the plastic chute to reduce friction when the primers slid down it.

My process is to open each 100 pack of WSR primers and wipe the flat side with a cleaning patch containing an evaporative solution.  That removes any residual compound from the manufacturing process.  Then dump them into the machine, attach a tube and start it up.  While it's running, fill the powder hopper and check the thrown charge weights on the scale, then fill the brass and bullet hoppers.  The machine will stop if it detects an error such as primers backing up on the chute or no primers going past the "counting" optic sensor in a certain amount of time.  It also shuts off when it has counted 99-100 primers going past the optic sensor.  Normally at least 400 primers are loaded in the machine.

Bottom line, it allows me to get through my setup procedure quicker as the primers are loading while other things are being accomplished.

BC

I started this year.  A lot of folks told me I should start with a 550 and only later add a 750 or 1100.  But I just couldn't get past the idea of manual indexing.  I went straight to a 750 and boy am I glad I did.    It's great.  I added a bullet feeder a few month later and it makes it even better.

I could see really liking the 1100, but I just couldn't justify the price difference.   Plus I found a 750 for sale while the 1100 was on 20-week backorder.  But I have a feeling I'll own an 1100 eventually.  😭

2 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

What would you recommend as a single stage?

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one I will probably just get a Lee if I get rid of the APP which works fine as a single press .  IMO It is nice to have to do small stuff or small quantity stuff you want to try with out having to swap over or set up a progressive press.

I reloaded on a single press with my dad in the 1960s. 
I didn’t reload again until 2005. 
I spent some time on a friend’s 650.  
I knew a commercial reloader.  I had him set up a 1050 for my 40S&W with my dies and powder (Vit). I reloaded a bunch of ammo on it. 
He decided to retire so I Brought ‘my 1050’. My regret is I did not buy the second one. 
I would not buy anything but a 1050/1100.  

I abhor the advice to go cheaper ‘till you learn.’  Waste of money. 

Buy the best you can afford even if it is stretch.  

The whiners say conversion calibers on the 1050 is hard/complicated. BS.  I load 9mm, 40, 45 and .223. Easy Peasy. I even have a tool head plus parts to size and trim bottle neck cases. 

Buy Dillon

never try to impress a young lady with an economy car...

If my choices are get the best...

without any chance of that ever happening

because the farm never makes that much in 10 years

or getting that which can be had...

that is not a choice.

If I start shooting more than my press can supply

I'll consider a faster press.

in general faster is better.

in general faster is more complicated.

I still want an ammo factory.

miranda