Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best ultrasonic solution to clean the comp?

Silverscooby27

I think you are going to find your best bet is the old sharp screwdriver and scraping method. Any chemicals powerful enough to attack the build up in the comp are also going to attack the loctite and possibly the comp and barrel itself.

It is far easier to keep the comp clean than waiting for a huge buildup.

When I had removable comp (Czechmate), I would use hydrogen peroxide and vinegar and will soften the buildup but the off gas from that solution is probably not advisable to breathe!

5 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

I think you are going to find your best bet is the old sharp screwdriver and scraping method. Any chemicals powerful enough to attack the build up in the comp are also going to attack the loctite and possibly the comp and barrel itself.

It is far easier to keep the comp clean than waiting for a huge buildup.

When I had removable comp (Czechmate), I would use hydrogen peroxide and vinegar and will soften the buildup but the off gas from that solution is probably not advisable to breathe!

Agree with the screwdriver and scraping.  If you do at least 1 time for every 3 times the gun is used; you’ll always have a well clean comp.

14 hours ago, Bwillis said:

I like lucas ultrasonic cleaner followed by the punch hammer and scrape method 

Yea, I was going to say it’s about a 2 - 1 solution. soak it for an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner and hammer and chisel it for about 2 hours is about right repeat if necessary..🤪

I don't get it.  Use clean burning powders and either heavy plate, CMJ or JHP bullets and you will never have to clean your comp.  I have 8000 rounds of JHP through my newest Open gun and I can still see the machining marks in the bottom of the ports.  You have to put up with it for 22LRs, but not centerfire.

Not with any Major PF Open guns I've ever owned.  They all cake up even with only JHPs.  Takes 20K or so though before it gets bad.

Get a piece of 1/8" brass rod, file the end into a chisel tip, chuck in Dremel, go to town.

• 4 years later...
On 2/20/2020 at 8:01 AM, zzt said:

I don't get it.  Use clean burning powders and either heavy plate, CMJ or JHP bullets and you will never have to clean your comp.  I have 8000 rounds of JHP through my newest Open gun and I can still see the machining marks in the bottom of the ports.  You have to put up with it for 22LRs, but not centerfire.

I also only use jhps for open, but still get carbon. I found that if you spray a comp with some anti spatter for welding or case lube, for reloading it helps a little bit from building up

Don’t know about best, but just a reminder; black nitrided parts (possibly other coatings too) and acidic ultrasonic solutions (like the ones for cleaning brass) do not mix.

I learned this the hard way by ruining an AR bolt carrier and a bolt or two one day. 

No idea if it’s relevant for your particular case, but I don’t often see it mentioned…

Some of my comps are hard-chromed, but it doesn't help much.  My guess is polishing would go away pretty quickly with flame-sandblasting but I've not tried it.

• 4 weeks later...

All my barrels and comps are TiN coated. Easy to clean. But I shoot JHP and 3N38 but it does get dirty

I use brass picks and Boretech C4 carbon cleaner.  Helps when Amazon confuses 1 box with 1 pack.  I’ve enough picks to last a lifetime

I’m not loosing any of the coating in my comps.

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2024 at 9:12 PM, Ronin6955 said:

Boretech carbon cleaner and a small flathead screwdriver.

This! Boretech is great at removing carbon.

• 2 weeks later...