Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading progression thoughts...

Face5535

I've been going through my set up of late considering one of these new Mark7 loaders.  I cant help but to wonder how the heck I actually got to this point.  Currently there is a Super 1050 set up in 45acp, an RL 1050 set up in 9mm, and a XL 650 set up in 223... but have all other quick changes either on the 1050 or 650 that I shoot.  When looking I cant help but think this is way over kill.

Anyone else every thought about moving from multiple presses down to one... maybe even two?

I probably have close to most reloaders dream set up over here... just realized, wow... I have major money wrapped up in loading gear.

I remember when I started, my first press was a XL650.  Moved from that to 2 XL650's.  Sold those and went to a single RL 1050.  once I stopped shooting for a few years, I moved those presses and moved.  I couldnt stand the thought of paying for ammo so I picked up a 550...  Shortly after I got a Super 1050.  Came up on a "yard sale deal" on an RL1050 and added that, and then traded a 550 for a 650.... its been a crazy 20 years or so... at least in terms of reloading and that process.  

What as been your progression of presses?  Any regrets?  What does your current set up consist of?

550 then to a 650 (still kept the 550). I actually like the simplicity of the 550 as long as I'm not looking to load a lot of volume in one session. I only load 9mm on the 650 - everything else on the 550, for now. When I bought the 650 I went straight to the case feeder and bullet feeder. I would have liked to skip the 650 and go straight to 1050, but it didn't make sense at the time (financially, or caliber conversion wise).

Lee Turret press to a Lee Pro 1000 to a Dillon XL650.  The Pro 1000 lasted a week before I got tired of the primer system.  The 650 I've had for about 10 years and I kept the Turret to use with a bullet puller.  At matches, I pick up loaded rounds.  I pull the heads and use the primers and cases.  I load 9mm, 45ACP, 223, 243 & 308 on the XL650.  I'm happy with one 650, but I'll add another or possibly a 1050 if I find a deal I can't pass up.

• 2 weeks later...

Rock chucker,- Star reloader,--RL 1050 ( $885 dealer price in 2000 )---more RL1050's--Co-ax- UltraMag--several Corbin CSP2s, RCBS- A2,  MK 7 1050 Pro automation and finally Evolution. Sold the Rockchucker and Star.   That's it.

• 3 weeks later...

RCBS Rockchucker II.  At age 18,  30yrs ago I bolted it to a chunk of plywood I C clamped to my dorm room desk at Oregon State. 

D550 Post college about age 22 got it used from the “nickel ads”. (Remember those!) thought I had made it with this thing for years. 

#2 D550 about 5yrs ago. 

D1050 three yrs ago, and sold one of the D550’s

#2 D1050 about a year ago

Two AmmoBots for the 1050’s a month ago.   Still have the D550 for precision rifle bolt loads, but now can process (decapping, resize, trim) rifle brass with the AmmoBot driving one of the 1050s. 

I have also looked at the Mark7 mainly for that 7th station so you can run a powder check.  I really wish Dillon added a 7th station with the D1100.   I have been eyeballing my presses thinking what all it would take to convert the 1050 to have the 7th station.  (Huge work I know, but I do metal design and manufacturing for a living)   Since I own my own 3D scanning equipment I am thinking I may scan the the press and pull it into SolidWorks and play with it a bit.  (New main frame, shell plate, die head etc. but I think a bunch of the suport parts might transfer over if the throw of the primer shuttle can be adjusted to fit the slightly larger shell plate).  This is where the Mark7 shows up as, well cheeper option to look at!   For now I am happy with what I have over all. 

Edited by helocat

Started out with a Hornady single stage kit back in the early 90's.

Next a RL550 in the late 90's followed by a XL650.

At the moment I have set up:

Mark 7 Evolution (.223R)

2x XL650 (9mm and .308/6BR)

Harrells BR turret press

In reserve:

another XL650

3x RL550

1x RL450

2x Corbin CSP-1

1x Harrell's BR single stage

1x Hornady singel stage

1x BCM Modulo Masterpiece

Chrs,

RGA

3 years ago I jumped into reloading with a Dillon XL650 and a case feeder to load 9mm.  I gradually added caliber conversions, a bullet feeder and an RT1500 for .223 brass processing. 

Just a few months after buying the Dillon, I bought a Hornady Lock N Load single stage kit for rifle calibers when Hornady had their free bullet rebate.  

Now I have an RL1100, Ammobot Rev3, and a Mr Bulletfeeder Pro on the way.   I just added a Rollsizer commercial unit with 9mm and 223 conversions to my tool kit last week. 

At this point I am spending more on reloading than on guns. 

I grew up with a Dad who was into shooting and reloading in a big way, so I'll start with some of the stuff I did as a kid.

My first reloading I did with shotshells on a MEC Sizemaster reloading press - Dad had two of them - one for 12 gauge for him, and one for 20 gauge for me.

Later on a did just a tad bit of reloading on an old Pacific press he had, and eventually he got a Dillon - I thought it was a 450, but it may have been a 550.

I didn't really shoot or reload at all until I inherited some of his guns, and I decided that rather than paying for ammo, I'd reload like he did.  I got the Lee Challenger Anniversary Kit, and I used that for a few years, but the frustration there was the rate of production - at best I could do about 100 rounds/hour if I had my ducks in a row.

I "upgraded" to a Hornady LNL AP, but I never got to where I could do more than 5-10 rounds without having to tinker with something on the press that wasn't quite functioning like it should, and so I went through a 2 year reloading and shooting hiatus - I didn't want to shoot, because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of trying to reload with the LNL AP.  I finally just sold the LNL AP and got a Dillon 550.  I'd had the Hornady press mounted on an Inline Fabrication Ultramount, so I got a new top plate for the Dillon 550.

Right now, I'm pretty much where I want to be - I don't think I'll get to a point where I'm shooting enough to want the increased ability that a 650/750 or 1050 would give me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 1:29 AM, helocat said:

RCBS Rockchucker II.  At age 18,  30yrs ago I bolted it to a chunk of plywood I C clamped to my dorm room desk at Oregon State. 

D550 Post college about age 22 got it used from the “nickel ads”. (Remember those!) thought I had made it with this thing for years. 

#2 D550 about 5yrs ago. 

D1050 three yrs ago, and sold one of the D550’s

#2 D1050 about a year ago

Two AmmoBots for the 1050’s a month ago.   Still have the D550 for precision rifle bolt loads, but now can process (decapping, resize, trim) rifle brass with the AmmoBot driving one of the 1050s. 

I have also looked at the Mark7 mainly for that 7th station so you can run a powder check.  I really wish Dillon added a 7th station with the D1100.   I have been eyeballing my presses thinking what all it would take to convert the 1050 to have the 7th station.  (Huge work I know, but I do metal design and manufacturing for a living)   Since I own my own 3D scanning equipment I am thinking I may scan the the press and pull it into SolidWorks and play with it a bit.  (New main frame, shell plate, die head etc. but I think a bunch of the suport parts might transfer over if the throw of the primer shuttle can be adjusted to fit the slightly larger shell plate).  This is where the Mark7 shows up as, well cheeper option to look at!   For now I am happy with what I have over all. 

why not cnc shooter or on point toolhead 8 stations that way? you could also make 3 passes on the brass (basically prime in its own pass). decap swage, clean , resize, resize, then removing priming parts and make metal tab that can be screwed into primer shield screw hole for failsafe rod to operate through. Using this 3 pass method you can speed up the loading process typically to almost 2000+

On 8/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, Face5535 said:

I've been going through my set up of late considering one of these new Mark7 loaders.  I cant help but to wonder how the heck I actually got to this point.  Currently there is a Super 1050 set up in 45acp, an RL 1050 set up in 9mm, and a XL 650 set up in 223... but have all other quick changes either on the 1050 or 650 that I shoot.  When looking I cant help but think this is way over kill.

Anyone else every thought about moving from multiple presses down to one... maybe even two?

I probably have close to most reloaders dream set up over here... just realized, wow... I have major money wrapped up in loading gear.

I remember when I started, my first press was a XL650.  Moved from that to 2 XL650's.  Sold those and went to a single RL 1050.  once I stopped shooting for a few years, I moved those presses and moved.  I couldnt stand the thought of paying for ammo so I picked up a 550...  Shortly after I got a Super 1050.  Came up on a "yard sale deal" on an RL1050 and added that, and then traded a 550 for a 650.... its been a crazy 20 years or so... at least in terms of reloading and that process.  

What as been your progression of presses?  Any regrets?  What does your current set up consist of?

I just stick with the 650.  I have all the quick change kits for it that i need...I personally enjoy the process of loading ammo and don't really want it automated.  I can go sit out in the garage in peace for an hour and crank out 500 or any round at a comfortable pace... i feel everything in my hand happening so i know if theres an issue with a case.  I am not shooting like i used to but when i was active i was shooting atleast 800rds a month in matches.  650 has always been my style.  I keep it lubed and cleaned and it just runs and runs and runs.  different strokes for different folks i think.  sounds like your set up is a dream for sure

• 3 months later...

LEE hand loader kit (in a box) with little mallets, fiber wads, and dippers for shotshells.  Then LEE Loadall, then MEC 600.  Then RCBS (3032) series.  Then a RockChucker.  Added Dillon XL650 (life changing), then Mr. Bulletfeeder.  now very impatiently awaiting my RL1100 with Ammobot Rev3.

I used a single stage for years.  

Then I added a Hornady LnL AP, then added a second LnL AP. 

I got a real sweetheart deal on a NIB 650.  $200.  I didn't set it up as we were moving to Texas from Oregon in a couple of months.

Once we got to Texas it took a couple of years before I was able to join a club and have an inexpensive place to shoot.  I set up one of the LnL AP presses and the 650.  I realized real quick that the 650 was the superior press.  I sold the Hornady.  About 18 months later I added the second 650.

Current press count is two 650s.  One Hornady single stage, one Rockchucker, one Lyman 7 hole turret, a couple of old C style presses, and three shotshell presses, two MECs and a PW 375.  I haven't loaded a shotshell in almost 30 years.  I picked up the two MEC presses in a package deal.  

On 1/30/2020 at 3:01 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

RCBS RockChucker for 30+ years - still have and use

Dillon 550 for 1 year - sold

Dillon 650 for 5 years - still have

Dillon RL1100 - just added

Need a larger bench and Reload area now                  

Just curious, when did you order that RL1100?  I’m still waiting for mine ordered Dec 1

14 hours ago, Drmike said:

Just curious, when did you order that RL1100?  I’m still waiting for mine ordered Dec 1

I paid in full for mine with Immortobot on September 13th.  Last time I inquired, Dillon had only sent them 2 of the 20 they had ordered. 

Getting frustrated....