Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rachet Gun Belts

I’ve read about the Carbon Arms belt but never seen one. Seems like a good idea, especially with those of us using longer belts. Anybody have any feedback on the carbon arms belt in particular or the concept in general?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve read about the Carbon Arms belt but never seen one. Seems like a good idea, especially with those of us using longer belts. Anybody have any feedback on the carbon arms belt in particular or the concept in general?

Can't imagine not using a ratchet. So much more secure. Get a snowboard ratchet if you just want to modify your existing belt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I was kind of skeptical for a while. I talked to Mark at RM3G last year about it, then had a certificate on the prize tray. I like it a lot. I'll probably get another ratchet set to convert my old Safariland ELS belt as a spare.

I don't think you'll regret getting it.

Just did the modification myself this weekend on my Safariland belt. Full install in less than 10 minutes including cutting the belt for size. You can buy the full ratchet setups with mix and match colors from M2 Inc that’s half the price of buying it from Carbon Arms 

Now that it’s set up, couldn’t imagine running the setup without it. Great retention and infinitely easier than trying to work the studs on the Safariland belt. 

17 hours ago, mtruong said:

Just did the modification myself this weekend on my Safariland belt. Full install in less than 10 minutes including cutting the belt for size. You can buy the full ratchet setups with mix and match colors from M2 Inc that’s half the price of buying it from Carbon Arms 

Now that it’s set up, couldn’t imagine running the setup without it. Great retention and infinitely easier than trying to work the studs on the Safariland belt. 

Check out M2 Inc, only thing limiting you is your imagination. They ship super fast, my order went out 3 hours after I placed it!

I have used a carbon arms belt all year. It is great. For 3 gun with a 2.5# pistol, 4 pounds of  shotgun shells, and several pounds of pistol and rifle mags it is ideal. Especially considering that it's about the same cost as other belts. About the only downside is that the sticky side of the velcro backing can collect crud if you go to matches that like to put you on the ground. But it's not too bad. Supposedly they have an updated model but I haven't seen any info on it. 

Edited by Blockader

Run the ratchet on my ELS belt, can't imagine shooting a match without it now. When I load up the belt before a stage, I'll tighten it down a couple of clicks to get it snug; then when the stage is over and I remove the pouches/holster/caddies, I'll loosen it slightly to be more comfortable. A lot of the regulars I shoot with run the ratchet on ELS belts, but there are one or two who have the Carbon Arms belt as well, and they have never talked about any issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

I chopped down my DAA belt and installed the carbon arms ratchet system. It's the only way I'll secure my belts from now on. I carry a boat anchor of an open gun,  three 170mm mags, 45 round rifle ma, and multiple shotgun mags. I haven't had a single issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 11:42 AM, Blockhead said:

I wouldn't 3gun without a ratchet belt again.  With the weight of a pistol, pistol mags, rifle mags, and shotshells, things just had a tendency to get loose throughout the day.  That said, I wasn't a huge fan of the belt itself.  Wasn't as sturdy as something like a DAA and a huge pain to get set up.  I lost a bunch of weight and it got too big on me, so I cut down an old DAA I had laying around, drilled some holes, and installed the ratchet system on that.  I'm liking that a lot better.  So, my two cents, get the ratchet and put it on another belt...

20 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

I just cut down an existing ELS belt and added a snowboard binding ratchet. Easy as pie, took 15 minutes, and only because I measured 3 times before cutting.

how much did you decide to cut? just the overlap section or did you leave a gap?

1 minute ago, Balakay said:

how much did you decide to cut? just the overlap section or did you leave a gap?

Left about a 6" gap in the belt with an 8" ratchet strap. If you don't leave a gap, the velcro on the outer belt will bind with your inner belt and will not tighten down smoothly.

What size are people ordering from M2?

I have one setup in 0.70” and two in 1.00”. All were for converting my existing gear. Strap length size will depend on how it gets mounted on the belt. I still have to cutdown the 11” strap for the 0.70” buckle.

Three sets (buckle and strap) were the same shipping as one set so I ordered accordingly. The M5 T-nut and Bolt were picked up at the local hardware store.

b6f5da8a7380565bc5430d05165af1bf.jpg

I didn't use the carbon arms kit.  I ordered bindings and straps.  The process literally took 10 minutes.  I just cutoff the post on my ELS belt.  

Here's a link to that post.  https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/265626-rachet-for-els-belt/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-3088015

Here's the Bindings https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/ratchet-buckles-ladder-straps/1-alloy-ratcheting-buckle-rb1-alu/

Here's the strap https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/ratchet-buckles-ladder-straps/1x13-ladder-strap-with-tab-ls113t-black/

• 3 weeks later...

Safariland belt with some 3/4 strap and ratchet from ratchet.com. ($10) it's an awesome setup. I had a Gen 1 CA belt that eventually gave out and broke (I followed the directions and didn't use the T-nuts and it still broke. I have no experience ith the new belt he teamed up with Weber tactical on but ever since I got my safariland belt I haven't looked back. 

• 2 years later...