Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your best argument in favor of a PCC?

This may be off topic for this forum, but it was hard finding a PCC-specific subforum on the web for some reason, and I remembered this is a great forum, so wanted to ask the experts.  Recognizing this forum is mostly geared towards competition shooting of course.  

In terms of practical use, when I ask about PCC's I inevitably hear the conventional and frankly very decent logic of "just get an AR in 223".  I have AR-15's of course.  But I'm curious what your best argument in favor of the PCC might be?  What benefits can you see?  I know there are a few models that can takedown or fold up very compactly.  Are there others you can think of?  Thanks

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, biggulp said:

"Because I can".  If you feel like you have to justify your purchase/ownership of any firearm to anyone (other than a spouse who may be impacted financially), you're doing it wrong.

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons, is all.  

4 minutes ago, jwestonmoss said:

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons, is all.  

Better for house defense gun because it won’t go through your walls and your neighbor’s walls then on down the street. LOL. Cheaper ammo, quieter, etc.

Lame for pistol matches though

Fun to shoot. 

Cheaper ammo than an AR-15

Could double as a more effective home defense choice for numerous reasons (larger magazines, easier to shoot well under stress, quieter since you probably wouldn't have time to grab earpro if you need it, etc).

I'm sure there's more, but your interest should really be reason enough, IMHO.  If you're interested, there's already something that has you considering it...

After having a pcc, i can no longer think of a good argument for one, other than games, and maybe that they are easier on steel. And I personally don't care for them for that, but i don't care if others do. My advice would be; unless you really want to shoot games with them, skip the pcc

They are VERY FUN!@@! I shoot mine on steel a couple days a week.

I liked the PCC so much, I bought an AR9 pistol for home defense. I am a believer in using rifle cartridges for defense but have you ever shot a 7" 5.56 in a house?  If you are wearing a headset/ear plugs it is extremely loud. If you shoot an SBR 5.56 in a house you  will scare yourself and wet your pants. Of course it will not do the bad guy any good either.

Yea, all these things too!

"Fun to shoot
Cheap ammo
Up close drills on steel
Fun to shoot"

^^This!! I've been holding out, hoping that Ruger will offer their PCC in stainless, but will probably pick one up this year, regardless.  In a practical context, there aren't many situations where i need to reach out much beyond 100 yards.  From a 16" barrel, a 9mm round is picking up a few FPS, the HPs will have more consistent expansion, and (obviously) range and accuracy are significantly improved as compared to a handgun.

The best argument I have came from a range day the other day. We had a stage set up and one of my buddies who had been burnt out on pistol shot his pcc just to function check it.  That function check turned into a full out pcc session for him.  He found the fun again and was looking forward to the next match now because it made shooting fun 

I always preferred rifles to pistols.  But because all the fun games at the time I got started (1984 or so) was pistol only, that's what I shot for years.  Finally we got some 3 gun matches locally and that fanned the long gun fire in me.  Too bad it was so late in life.  After too few years I became too old gave up on 3 gun.  The matches were no longer fun, more a just please "Lord let me survive this day" ordeal. 

Then PCC popped up.  At first I was in the "carbine at a pistol match is stupid" group.  Shot my first 9mm PCC at a local match as a prop gun and was surprised how much it kicked.  But that once again lite up the long gun fire.   Stuck with a pistol I went to the local matches more for the camaraderie than the fun of shooting.  Now with PCC that fun is back. 

Pros: You get to shoot like an Open gun wizard but on a Production gun budget.

If you want, you can tune it to your liking or just leave it stock.  Won't make much difference in your match standings either way.

Even though you are shooting in a different Division. you can now look for your match scores starting from the top of the page instead of             the bottom.

Cons: You no longer get to strut around the range packing heat on your hip.

Some old friends are no longer on speaking terms with you.  (Actually this could be under Pros.)

8 hours ago, ericskennard said:

They are VERY FUN!@@! I shoot mine on steel a couple days a week.

I liked the PCC so much, I bought an AR9 pistol for home defense. I am a believer in using rifle cartridges for defense but have you ever shot a 7" 5.56 in a house?  If you are wearing a headset/ear plugs it is extremely loud. If you shoot an SBR 5.56 in a house you  will scare yourself and wet your pants. Of course it will not do the bad guy any good either.

Agreed, that's why I've also set up a 10.5"-barreled (12" with pinned/welded linear comp) 'other' format-PCC as a house/closet gun, because I also have a 12" barrel 5.56 that would be brain-scramblingliny loud indoors without a suppressor, and still pretty long and unwieldy with one.  Since a 9mm through a barrel over 8" or so burns up all its powder, as far as un-suppressed guns go in defense calibers, it may be the least-deafening way to go.  Not necessarily hearing-safe, but considerably less than a 5.56, 12 ga., or even a 9mm pistol.  The linear comp aids even more in throwing the blast forward compared to a normal/vertical comp or muzzle brake.

image.thumb.png.566f27f185be350f68811fe038ca7330.png

Edited by MoRivera