Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your best argument in favor of a PCC?

1 hour ago, lstange said:

Chance at getting high overall on PractiScore without shelling out lots of cash for an open gun and major ammo.

That is what i thought, but the good local open shooters still kicked my ass haha

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Better for house defense gun because it won’t go through your walls and your neighbor’s walls then on down the street. LOL. Cheaper ammo, quieter, etc.

Lame for pistol matches though

this,  try shooting a 223 AR at an indoor range.

223 really shines at 100-500 yards.

10-50 feet, there are better calibers, like 9mm

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

You’re point is? I think they are lame and I’m a match Director. So what?

My point is the P is uspsa is practical not pistol. You laid out some very good reasons why it’s practical. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Are you shooting steel plates at 10y w a 556 gun????

i didn't get it either at first.  thought the comparison was a pistol vs pcc.  but obviously it was comparing a .223 to a 9mm.

as far as pcc pro's, can have a super nice pcc, optic, buncha mags and extensions, etc for way less than a decent limited or open gun.  and super cheap ammo.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

You’re point is? I think they are lame and I’m a match Director. So what?

"I don't know art, but I know what I hate."

Monty Python

If I ever get to be King we will bring a DBA meter to the equipment check stations.

Open guns which are unreasonably loud (hearing damage) and pcc guns which are unreasonably quiet (reshoots + putting r.o. in a bad position from trying to stay in the shooters underwear so shots aren't missed) will get thrown out. 

Besides that, who cares what the other person is shooting? 

Edited by IHAVEGAS
2 hours ago, Bwillis said:

My point is the P is uspsa is practical not pistol. You laid out some very good reasons why it’s practical. 

Practical for home defense. Practical went out the window in USPSA long ago. It’s just a game now

1 minute ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Don't forget running a laser, so you can shoot from the hip on classifiers or just lean the rifle around a wall and put the dot on the target.

That's one thing I haven't picked up. I probably should before Area 8 though.

2 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

That's one thing I haven't picked up. I probably should before Area 8 though.

It definitely speeds up shooting on classifiers where you start with the buttstock on the hip and the dot sitting on the A-zone, and don't have to move the rifle to start shooting.

Also found it useful at a classifier where I had to shift to the weak side to shoot.  At least for me it was easier looking at the dot placed on the target than trying to align my non-dominant eye with the red dot reticle.

Hello: It is getting more shooters into the sport including young shooters. I am all for more shooters coming into the sport and having fun. The numbers don't lie that we are seeing more shooters at USPSA matches now since PCC can shoot them. 3-Gun matches around here are seeing fewer numbers. Some of those shooters have come over and are shooting PCC. Thanks, Eric

One thing I don't get because I came into USPSA for PCC is the butt hurt. So many and I do mean many passive aggressive comments about rifles at a pistol match, magazine size, etc from people I've never met before but within two matches I realized the comments had little variety but just a lot of repetition. I have thick skin so I just ignore them as excuses for their performance but I wonder how many people find that to be a turn off or is it that much of a local phenomenon that only I deal with.

40 minutes ago, ABQautoxer said:

One thing I don't get because I came into USPSA for PCC is the butt hurt. So many and I do mean many passive aggressive comments about rifles at a pistol match, magazine size, etc from people I've never met before but within two matches I realized the comments had little variety but just a lot of repetition. I have thick skin so I just ignore them as excuses for their performance but I wonder how many people find that to be a turn off or is it that much of a local phenomenon that only I deal with.

nah, it seems to be all over. I hear it every where I go. And I hardly shoot pcc but a few times a year.

35 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

nah, it seems to be all over. I hear it every where I go. And I hardly shoot pcc but a few times a year.

Still a few diehards out there that detest PCC but compared to a year ago, its much better.  We have also seen a few that were gung ho about PCC last year slowly going back to their pistol divisions.   All of the local clubs now include PCC.  But then again us Texans were always an open minded bunch.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, lstange said:

Chance at getting high overall on PractiScore without shelling out lots of cash for an open gun and major ammo.

For anyone who thinks that, they should look at the results from the OH State Championships this past weekend.  PCC didn't even make it into the top 10, with Open (and Bob f'ing Vogel shooting Limited) absolutely dominating. Heck, even Carry Optics beat PCC.

3I4M6v3.jpg

I think the HOA really only applies to smaller or local matches. I'm having a hard time finding many level 2 or greater uspsa matches where pcc was the top score.

I can find local uspsa and steel challenge where pcc was tops. I can find local and bigger idpa matches where pcc was fastest. But I'm having a hard time finding many level 2 uspsa matches where pcc would have been hoa, if that was recognized.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:40 PM, Rob72 said:

^^This!! I've been holding out, hoping that Ruger will offer their PCC in stainless, but will probably pick one up this year, regardless.  In a practical context, there aren't many situations where i need to reach out much beyond 100 yards.  From a 16" barrel, a 9mm round is picking up a few FPS, the HPs will have more consistent expansion, and (obviously) range and accuracy are significantly improved as compared to a handgun.

Check this out. New chassis for the PC9 

As far as pcc pro's, can have a super nice pcc, optic, buncha mags and extensions, etc for way less than a decent limited or open gun.  and super cheap ammo.

This is the main thing. PCC is just a lot of fun. 3 gun is stupidly expensive. Open guns are stupidly expensive. 

PCCs are way more accessible. $1500-ish for a competitive gun. Quite fast. More fun than production/carry optics (higher round count, fixed position optic, compensators allowed, etc.)

PCC pistols/SBRs also make a lot of sense for home defense with a suppressor.

Edited by avastcosmicarena
On 6/4/2019 at 10:17 PM, RJH said:

That is what i thought, but the good local open shooters still kicked my ass haha

Makes sense when you think about it. They have the same fixed optic advantage, similar recoil characteristics (or maybe better?), and they can swing the smaller gun around much more quickly.

Edited by avastcosmicarena
11 hours ago, ABQautoxer said:

At least some of the IDPA people think that theirs is a concealed carry sport, and you really can't conceal a PCC all that well.  Plus, some people just don't like change.

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

Practical for home defense. Practical went out the window in USPSA long ago. It’s just a game now

Putting rounds down range with a home defense weapon in a game with different scenarios seems very practical.. that’s my point. You complain about it being a pistol only match..when in fact it’s not, it’s practical shooting. 

For me, I can't think of any rifle/carbine only action shooting matches that are even remotely within driving distance to me. I would rather shoot a rifle/carbine than a handgun any day for fun/sport.  That leaves me with USPSA PCC since there are a couple of clubs within a 2hr driving distance. It may not be the perfect match for a rifle/carbine but its certainly the most accessible, prolific and fun type of action rifle/carbine only shooting for a lot of folks. Sure one could go to outlaw matches, but I enjoy the fact that no matter where I go the rules are the same.  I could do three gun in this area, but I dont have the money or time to dump into three guns and the training that comes along with them to be competitive. 

5 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Makes sense when you think about it. They have the same fixed optic advantage, similar recoil characteristics (or maybe better?), and they can swing the smaller gun around much more quickly.

You forgot the biggest gap between Open and PCC, major PF scoring!