Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best training books or dvds.

BamaShooter88

I have been looking for a very detailed training regimen. Something that has a day to day very specific training program for USPSA. I have heard of the Ben Stoeger books, the Steve Anderson books, and I found a Mike Seeklander year long training program. That is all I could find. What do y’all recommend. I don’t want just drills. I need something very specific like what to do each day and how many times. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m new to competition shooting. I have been shooting for many years. I am also a army vet. This is a whole new world though. I want to get as good as possible for next season. I’m just getting started this week at my first match.

Stoeger’s Dry Fire reloaded has a guide towards the back page which details the type of drill you are going to do on what day, how often and for what type of shooter (beginner, intermediate, expert).

I have the book along with his Skills and Drills.

Ben's new book Breakthrough Marksmanship is really good! I have most of his. This one really boils it down to what you NEED to know. I really like Dry Fire Reloaded. Skills and Drills Reloaded has tons of great info, but it does not seem well organized (to me) and was hard to really implement for me.

The new book boils it down to the meat only. I'd strongly suggest it with Skills and Drills as a back up if you want to get more into the micro breakdown of all things drill wise.

1 hour ago, Slalom45 said:

Ben's new book Breakthrough Marksmanship is really good! I have most of his. This one really boils it down to what you NEED to know. I really like Dry Fire Reloaded. Skills and Drills Reloaded has tons of great info, but it does not seem well organized (to me) and was hard to really implement for me.

The new book boils it down to the meat only. I'd strongly suggest it with Skills and Drills as a back up if you want to get more into the micro breakdown of all things drill wise.

Awesome thanks! 

13 hours ago, BamaShooter88 said:

Which one of his do you recommend?

Get to Work and Refinement and Repetition.  Learn the difference between speed mode and match mode, and practice both in DF.   I took the 18 DF drills from both books, put into a 3 ring binder, use a timer/par time for each, record the time. 2-3 nights a week, 30-45 min total, each drill 3-4 min.   You will be surprised.

• 2 months later...

Bens new book is a one night read and really does an excellent job of explaining the concepts you need to get better at this sport as well as providing guidance on diagnosis and correction of common errors. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 11:59 PM, George16 said:

Stoeger’s Dry Fire reloaded has a guide towards the back page which details the type of drill you are going to do on what day, how often and for what type of shooter (beginner, intermediate, expert).

I have the book along with his Skills and Drills.

these are the books I learned with and suggest them to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I really like Steve Anderson’s Refinement and Repetition book.  It’s made for shooters who don’t want to think (which is totally me) and just want to put in work. It seems to work pretty well. I also really like that it’s spiral bound so it’s easy to manage

Edited by UpYoursPal

4 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I really like Steve Anderson’s Refine and Repetition book.  It’s made for shooters who don’t want to think (which is totally me) and just want to put in work. It seems to work pretty well. I also really like that it’s spiral bound so it’s easy to manage

Ironically, Ben and Joel's new book "Practical Shooting Training" does just the opposite and teaches you how to think about your training.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, clw42 said:

Ironically, Ben and Joel's new book "Practical Shooting Training" does just the opposite and teaches you how to think about your training.

I like Ben's new book. Steve's is also good, but "Practical Shooting Training" puts things into a "What should I be working on at my level?" perspective. I'd recommend PST and finish Level 1. Then dive into Level 2, and if you feel like you've plateaued after two months of that, get Steve's dry-fire book.

• 7 months later...