Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 SS mags

cnote

Tripp mags work well for me, except for one problem - when I try to remove a partally-loaded magazine.  The top of the Tripp mags allow the top round to move forward just enough to hang up when you try to remove the magazine.  The mag either hangs up altogether, or drops the top round out as I remove the magazine.  Sometimes it hangs up until I use enough force to remove the mag anyway, and THEN it drops the top round out.  

Mostly this is just an issue at "If finished, unload and show clear", but it is enough of a problem for me that I don't want any more Tripp 9mm 1911 mags. 

I don't have that problem with either Wilson or Dawson mags...  

Metalform work for me. And the top round does not slide forward under recoil, so they drop free with no, or any number of rounds left.

Best part is the price.

I've read that Brownell's brand mags work well, and they are supposedly Metalforms with a black coating, and Dawson are Metalform with Dawson basepad. 

Tripp mags work well for me, except for one problem - when I try to remove a partally-loaded magazine.  The top of the Tripp mags allow the top round to move forward just enough to hang up when you try to remove the magazine.  

Quoted for truth! (both 9mm and 40/10)

For target shooting, plinking or competition like Steel Challenge, Tripps are awesome!

But, for something like USPSA where you often reload with partially full mags on the clock, I have gone fully Wilson Combat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Metalform work for me. And the top round does not slide forward under recoil, so they drop free with no, or any number of rounds left.

Best part is the price.

I've read that Brownell's brand mags work well, and they are supposedly Metalforms with a black coating, and Dawson are Metalform with Dawson basepad. 

I use the Brownells mags, I read the same thing about them being metalform mag with a coating also

I like my chip mags with their brand extended base pad. I mainly use them for steel challenge. I did have to clip a coil off the mag spring to get them to seat easily with 1 round in the chamber and 10 in the mag. However, if I were going to seriously compete in uspsa I'd pick up a set of dawsons. Also the chip mags will also strip a round out when removing the mag. Not every time, but it happens. 

I first tried Brownell's in my new 1911 build.  No luck.  They seated fine with a push but would not let a round chamber.  Then I tried Wilson ETMs and CMCs, all 10 rounders.  No luck either.  They would not even seat.  So I started checking.  I automatically use an EGW mag catch, because it holds the mags higher than GI and feeds better.  Well, it appears the JEM moves the hag catch hole higher to do the same thing.  So the EGW raised the mags too high.

I substituted a Dawson GI spec mag catch and all mags seated perfectly.  I had already sent the Brownell's back.  Neither of the other two mags would feed a round into the chamber.  I eventually traced the problem to a faulty Aftec extractor.  I is too short and no amount of adjustment will allow a round to feed up under it.  So I switched to an EGW HD extractor and the rounds would feed and chamber.  The Wilson mags still sit high.  So high the top round presses on the slide and slows it down.  It is very hard to rack the slide.  So they are going back.  The Chips will feed, but not great.  The  rounds has a tendency to nose dive, and they are nearly impossible to strip by hand.  They are going back too.  I'll reorder the Brownell's, because it was the Aftec keeping them from working.

BTW, I'm new to 1911 9mm mags, so it may be OAL that is causing some of the problems.  I'm loading to 1.161" OAL for Open minor.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I first tried Brownell's in my new 1911 build.  No luck.  They seated fine with a push but would not let a round chamber.  Then I tried Wilson ETMs and CMCs, all 10 rounders.  No luck either.  They would not even seat.  So I started checking.  I automatically use an EGW mag catch, because it holds the mags higher than GI and feeds better.  Well, it appears the JEM moves the hag catch hole higher to do the same thing.  So the EGW raised the mags too high.

I substituted a Dawson GI spec mag catch and all mags seated perfectly.  I had already sent the Brownell's back.  Neither of the other two mags would feed a round into the chamber.  I eventually traced the problem to a faulty Aftec extractor.  I is too short and no amount of adjustment will allow a round to feed up under it.  So I switched to an EGW HD extractor and the rounds would feed and chamber.  The Wilson mags still sit high.  So high the top round presses on the slide and slows it down.  It is very hard to rack the slide.  So they are going back.  The Chips will feed, but not great.  The  rounds has a tendency to nose dive, and they are nearly impossible to strip by hand.  They are going back too.  I'll reorder the Brownell's, because it was the Aftec keeping them from working.

BTW, I'm new to 1911 9mm mags, so it may be OAL that is causing some of the problems.  I'm loading to 1.161" OAL for Open minor.

I'm surprised you can fit a 1.16 in a 1911 mag and chamber. I'm loading 1.100 for my 1911. Also yes, the chips are difficult to strip, after mine broke in I only have  trouble hand stripping the first round off a full mag. I just try to shoot my mags to unload them :D

1 hour ago, ezra650 said:

I'm surprised you can fit a 1.16 in a 1911 mag and chamber. I'm loading 1.100 for my 1911. Also yes, the chips are difficult to strip, after mine broke in I only have  trouble hand stripping the first round off a full mag. I just try to shoot my mags to unload them :D

Yeah.  It's close.  If anything jars the mag and moves a round forward it sticks.  It works just fine in 2011 mags, but the spacer they put in the 1911 mags causes a problem.  This pistol is a dedicated 1911 Open gun for SCSA.  It is identical to my 2011 Open gun, except for single stack.  I was hoping to use the same minor ammo in both.  If that doesn't work out I'll load shorter for the 1911.

I ran 1.150's when reloading 9mm for my single stacks in the past.  Ran Tripps and Dawsons and both ran fine with an STI frame (Trojan and Sentry) with an EGW mag release...was a few years back but ran thousands of rounds with no issues.

I just finished rebuilding an old Springfield Armory 1911. This has a Caspian slide and Kart ramped barrel. I'm using Metalform and Brownells 9mm mags. First match is planned for Saturday, and the rounds that have been through it so far feed fine. 

Just another opinion, and we know what opinions are. :)

Another point, like HDGUN, my old reworked Metalform 38 Super mags work too.