Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rim fire pistol to start a 10year old on

Marc92040

My 10 year old daughter has expressed a lot of interest in steel challenge, I’d like to get her athe right pistol to get started,

I have a new  mk3 ruger, but it’s honestly to large for her hand right now.  

Looking for for advice on what to start with and hopefully she can grow with it. 

Thanks 

Having been through this with two daughters I can tell you it's all about their comfort and the ability for you to teach them to safely control the gun.

If you think it's gonna be a one gun and done thing, think again.

My oldest, whos 19 now but was 7 when she first started shooting, learned trigger discipline, fundamentals and just flat out what to expect when a gun goes off on a P22. Not the gold standard for accuracy but again, it wasn't about shooting 1" groups at 20 yards at first.

As she grew comfortable with shooting she became confident enough to try guns that weren't the best fit in her hand ala Ruger MKII and S&W 41. Because of her confidence with shooting she was able to focus on grip, trigger etc. Within a short time she was handling those like a champ. Today she enjoys 1911s but especially a 686 with some good solid 110 grainers.

My youngest who's 12 right now lasted about 6 months on rimfires and loves her some VP9.

I guess my point is, teach them fundamentals on something that fits them, not a budget or a preconceived idea of what you think should be happening. The worst part of teaching anyone is making them uncomfortable or scared of our sport by not listening to their needs.  

Edited by Agent 214
typos

The S&W 22 Victory is a thought.  That is my Wife's & daughter's favorite gun, although they both primary use Glock 19s now-a-days.  It is somewhat modular and can evolve with your daughter.  Volquartsen has carbon fiber tension barrels available which can reduce weight from the bull barrel, but they'll cost you a couple hundred dollars additional. 

Or, as been stated, don't be against changing guns now & then as she progresses.  There are a lot of good options out there.

lots of grownups shoot with 2011's that are too big for their hands. I'd start her with a proper ruger or buckmark, and before you know it, it won't be too big anymore.

Unless you just an excuse to justify getting a walther, in which case I would totally do that. You don't get any prizes for having fewer guns than the next guy, lol.

Edited by motosapiens

On 12/30/2018 at 4:51 PM, motosapiens said:

lots of grownups shoot with 2011's that are too big for their hands. I'd start her with a proper ruger or buckmark, and before you know it, it won't be too big anymore.

Unless you just an excuse to justify getting a walther, in which case I would totally do that. You don't get any prizes for having fewer guns than the next guy, lol.

I tend to agree here. I started on a mix of an older  Mark I and a High Standard Sport king. (The Sport King holds a special place in my heart.) 

As far as small guns go though, have you considered the Walther P22? Or a  Ruger SR22?

When I bought my .22, everything I read shouted either Browning or Ruger ….

Went to the store and hefted them both and had a strong preference for the

way the Browning felt.

Whatever you decide, you and your daughter should handle some of the

different .22s on the market and see which you prefer.     :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading through the forum responses, the biggest thing would be before buying anything find out what pistol fits your son or daughter the most, let him hold several and see what he thinks feels most comfortable . If the pistol is bought and uncomfortable then he will never shoot it and create a negative response to shooting. There are several great beginning pistols on the market ,the ideal pistol would be one that can be upgraded easily as he or she progresses in experience and skill.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The SR22 is the only one I own that my niece can work the slide on, its turned out to be a great little gun. Pretty accurate, not to picky about ammo, and has the small grip you can install. The H&R revolver works well too, and of course shoots everything 

I have my 10 year old son shooting the M&P 22 suppressed. I added the suppressor for 2 reasons. The first is to keep it quiet so he doesn't develop a flinch and the second the added length helps reduce the chance of his hand ending up in front of the muzzle when he manipulates the slide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...