Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off season

corbinfouquet

Watch DVR movies.

Reload

more movies

more reloading

design a training regimen to focus on weaknesses and begin to execute with dryfire

more reloading

stock up on powder, primers, bullets, etc

oh, and my version of 9 rounds...

Off season is your best time to make gains. Here is what I do. I'm up bright and early to blast out a good work out about a hour worth, then a 20 minute or so dryfire practice, get the kids ready for school, go to work, come home, help kids with homework, dinner, bed for kids, then more dryfire usually about 2 hours worth. On non work days I get up work out, dryfire, than if it's nice out I'll go shoot, if it's not nice I'll reload or size and deprime brass, then the rest of the day is with my kick@ss wife (she is the best and supports and pushes me to keep up on my workouts and training) and the kids. 

Off season is your best time to make gains. Here is what I do. I'm up bright and early to blast out a good work out about a hour worth, then a 20 minute or so dryfire practice, get the kids ready for school, go to work, come home, help kids with homework, dinner, bed for kids, then more dryfire usually about 2 hours worth. On non work days I get up work out, dryfire, than if it's nice out I'll go shoot, if it's not nice I'll reload or size and deprime brass, then the rest of the day is with my kick@ss wife (she is the best and supports and pushes me to keep up on my workouts and training) and the kids. 

Holy Crap.  Are you super man ?      That is a heck of a daily routine.  

Edited by jrdoran

we actually have matches through the winter in SW idaho, but I treat it like an off-season anyway, and only show up for matches if the weather is reasonably pleasant. I'm pretty much doing my regular dry-fire routine (30-50 minutes daily), with extra movement focus on the days I don't play hockey. Less live fire, and more focused on fundamentals like shot-calling and grip because it's hard to compare data from summer with data in 25 degrees with 3 layers of clothing. Also a little more focus on steel challenge because after we set up a stage, we can shoot quite a bit without having to stop to tape, and mrs moto and I made some breakthroughs in steel towards the end of last season, so we're going to take it a bit more seriously this year.

and I brew beer and play hockey because it's dark and cold, and watch alot of football.

It’s usually dark before I get home from work during the winter so I dry fire most of my live fire drills inside daily.  I focus on sight picture, gun handling, and grip.  I also work on footwork and transitions in my garage.  I run and do core and body weight exercise throughout the year but I also fit in some jump rope in the cold months to help with my footwork.

Reload.  Purchased a new Benelli late last year and will probably ship it off to get opened up a little before a shoot another match.  When I catch some pretty days I shoot some steel behind my house.

• 2 months later...

Bullseye shooting with an emphasis on shot calling ,basic gun handling to stay familiar,

general fitness weights and burpees,slow at first 

adding new technique or gear in dry firing then when I can live fire (weather/schedule dependent) 

And some sort of cross training something different so I am just a “bit hungry” to return to the range come springtime. 

• 11 months later...

Lots of reloading and dry fire practice. In my office at work I have mini USPSA targets taped to the walls in different places and practice sight acquisition and transitions with a blue gun. Lots of draw repetitions and reloads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/4/2019 at 12:14 PM, highhope said:

Live in Ohio. So just go to indoor range, and practice double, weak hand etc....

We do have plenty of indoor shooting that doesn't include lame range rules......

Hammer Down Sunday nights and Miamisburg Monday nights come to mind.  Plus this winter I've gotten by with a sweatshirt more than any winter in recent memory so I've hit my outdoor range more than usual.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, GrumpyOne said:

People that sleep 8 hours a day are sleeping 1/3 of their life away.

They are doing themselves a favor! Performance, mental clarity, and sleep are linked. But I think you're kidding.

• 9 months later...

Off season is to work on everything that you should’ve noted after every match. After each match, I make a list of things that I need to work on and things I did well. Off season is a time to hone the good things and improve the rest.