Off season

corbinfouquet

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 7:02 AM, Dr. Phil said:

Watch DVR movies.

Reload

more movies

more reloading

design a training regimen to focus on weaknesses and begin to execute with dryfire

more reloading

stock up on powder, primers, bullets, etc

oh, and my version of 9 rounds...

Are you still able to door all that relapsing this time around? 
my reloading phase is gonna be a little shorter this year...

• 3 weeks later...

I actually need to do a winter dry fire routine. I'm tired of not shooting like I know how to shoot, though as my bride has pointed out I've put zero effort into shooting the past many several years.

Shot my last match in November. We don't start up here in New England until April. I've not touched a gun seriously since November. So probably in a few weeks I'll start up with the dry fire. 

For me the dry fire is simply a routine to "remember" what I already know. So it won't be more than 15 to 20 minutes a night, probably 5 nights a week. Initially I'll be basic - focus on accuracy, strong hand/weak hand, and then just basic draws, reloads, and target transitions.

As the weather gets better I'll be spending much more time on movement. And I'm going to tweak my shooting methodology a bit by bringing my base down a little more than I traditionally have. 

Finally, I have about 25#'s to lose. That will be harder to do at my age but that will help me in shooting this year.

That's about it. I don't want to overcomplicate things and frankly I don't want shooting to become a "job" like it has in the past. For me I'm not really that competitive these days so I just want to get better and shoot a bit more like I used to.

Easy day

J

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

We still have 1 or 2 matches a month, shot last weekend, the AM was in the single digit temps. I tend to be burned out towards the end of the regular season so, from about mid November to April when things are slow I barely touch anything gun related and use the time to focus on other hobbies, until I am excited to shoot matches again.