Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 38SC dead ?

zipollini

I would doubt that 38SC is dead. I know most of the major open builders still make them and I heard that Infinity is no longer taking orders for 9 major guns. At the last Optic nationals 9mm was 46% and 38 Super and SC were 53%. I have a DVC Open in 38SC that was bought when they first came out. I think it all comes down to what the shooter wants and personal preference. 

It’s alive... sti died a few years back making crap guns all day that need to be sent back. AND who gives a shit what STI says on their website? Not me.... they are not the authority of calibers or open guns. 

If sti  was a custom shop they aren’t anymore. You can’t sell volume and call it custom. They have a factory that runs “production.” Mass production is not custom. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 5:27 AM, 3gunDQ said:

It’s alive... sti died a few years back making crap guns all day that need to be sent back. AND who gives a s#!t what STI says on their website? Not me.... they are not the authority of calibers or open guns. 

If sti  was a custom shop they aren’t anymore. You can’t sell volume and call it custom. They have a factory that runs “production.” Mass production is not custom. 

I can back up much of this statement. A friend of mine, a top shooter who I will not name, shot with a local custom builder and then switched to STI. He had nothing but problems with the STI and was happy to switch back. I believe that they went the production route thinking that all Open guns are the same. They went the wrong direction in my opinion. 

I just ordered an Open gun in 38 Super Comp and am happy for it. You get a slightly better feeding round, better ballistics, better powder/bullet options and a flatter shooting round. Seems the question is, is 9mm major dead?

• 3 weeks later...

Ask a sample of major builders what the ratio of 9 vs 38 is in guns they build. Last I checked with one was long ago and it was 9 out of 10 in favor of 9 MAJOR. 

SV probably stopped offering it because 9MAJOR guns can be finicky in ejection and they got tired of dealing with it?

They will build you a 9 top end if already have a 38 from them.

All my matches are lost brass.  If it wasn't for the cost of 38SC brass, that is what I'd be using.  9mm major and 115gr bullets is a pain in the ass because the case is so short.  A major load of 3N38 fills the case right up to the top.  There is a good reason most 9mm major shooters use 124gr bullets - case capacity.

55 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

I should know better than this, but maybe SV got tired of warranty costs?

Probably. Or people seeing their guns not run at matches. 9MAJOR works just fine but it does take more time and effort on the part of the builder

Edited by Sarge

When I decided to move to Open, I made my decision after watching the folks with open guns over a year, mostly local(small microcosm), and some Area shoots, I decided on 38. Different manufactures, seems to me, 9mm's like to break things, like barrels, comps, and slides. I'm not saying 38 doesn't break, just my small observations. 

I wouldn’t say it is dead, it is far superior to 9mm. Lost of research has been done with the two. I have a 38 super comp but don’t shoot it as much because of the cost of the brass. And yes I know it’s about equal if you read the cost analysis that a lot of people have done but it’s still in my mind that I have a brand new piece of brass I need to pick up lol.  9mm I just leave...

On 7/15/2018 at 2:15 AM, Sarge said:

SV probably stopped offering it because 9MAJOR guns can be finicky in ejection and they got tired of dealing with it?

I have two SVI open guns in 9mm, and they both worked perfectly since day one.  Pretty good mileage on both, but still no issues.  The first one originally came with the Slideride, still no ejection issues.

Was I just the lucky guy?  :)

3 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I have two SVI open guns in 9mm, and they both worked perfectly since day one.  Pretty good mileage on both, but still no issues.  The first one originally came with the Slideride, still no ejection issues.

Was I just the lucky guy?  :)

I don’t think you are lucky. Once I figured out the right optics mount to 100% fix ejection issues I have had zero issues from either of my 9mm Cheely guns that I didn’t create myself.

9mm works fine if you stay on top of ammo etc. 

It probably only took a handful of owners having problems for SV to drop it