Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Gun

TRPOperator

I invest the 5-7 hours ( match + drive time), the gas ( as much as 3/4 of a tank 2 x per mounth) the $15-$20 ln match fees and the $25 in ammo for a local match (7 per mounth) ... I consider a backup as a requirement, to much invested to not finish a match..

I thought I didn’t need a back up gun until I had to send mine back for some minor work. Now I am trying to do the figures so I can get a back so I don’t have to go through this again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look at it this way. I could either bring a bunch of spare parts or a backup gun. Now as some one who has had gun issues during a major match, I will always bring a backup gun to any major match. If it’s one where I have driven to then normally I’ll have a small box of spare parts in the car. 

1 hour ago, Mikeski said:

I look at it this way. I could either bring a bunch of spare parts or a backup gun. Now as some one who has had gun issues during a major match, I will always bring a backup gun to any major match. If it’s one where I have driven to then normally I’ll have a small box of spare parts in the car. 

This '` .  Bigger the match, bigger the reason for a duplicate gun.  My son will shoot nationals for his first time this year, he has never had a part break on his gun, as I do s total disassembly ever other month and replace early, but we will be getting him a twin ready so that he will not have to worry about equipment being a problem.

I figure that will be most of the reply, when I say justify, I mean money wise..I wish I could afford to order to identical open guns...I will prob try to at lest find a decent used one for backup....my new one is an akai...scheduled to be here early May. I also wanted to see others opinions on mainly shooting local matches vs big matches and having a backup still.

Edited by TRPOperator

All my matches are no less than a 2 hour drive one way. As others have said a backup gun, while not a necessity, certainly enhances your match experience should your primary gun go down. As far as shooting a major, a backup gun is a given 

Your open will need service sooner or later . While most of us can fix most things on our guns, sometimes it needs to go back to the builder. How long could you be without one and how will that affect you is your decision to make. I have 2 and a 3rd in the works , 2  go with me to major matches . Also, having 2 identical guns allows one to be used for practice and one for matches .

Some type of backup gun or parts is in my opinion important to have.  Doesnt have to be an akai(would be nice) but some gun just in case.  If youre a top competitor, sure a matching or near matching gun but really mid range & down can at least finish the game with a gun that works.  Youve probly lost a stage already when gun broke.  Take your other gun & finish the match.  Even a non open non comped non dot gun will get you thru & is ok to shoot in open division.  Will you win?  Probably not but you can at least finish...  

Kinda funny story on having a backup gun....

I had just built myself my first open gun from start to finish and done some test firing with a Cmore mount I had laying around. Got my Romeo 3 mount, put it on the gun and then went to match that weekend. 

Well a couple shooters into the first stage it dawns on me that I never went to zero the dot after putting it on. 

So I'm sitting there debating if I should just watch my first couple shots, adjust and run the stage, then make an adjustment to the dot after.  This is a new gun so I am wanting to put it through it's paces and shoot it as much as I can. 

The first targets were close so this would be easy but I'm looking at the 8 mini poppers at the end of the stage so I decide to get my backup out. 

Get my backup out and I'm thinking, dang this is pretty nice having a spare gun. 

Beeeeep....... somewhere between the first and second target the battery in my Romeo takes a dump....... So much for the backup hahaha. 

At the end of the stage I check zero on the new gun before moving on and the dot was in the A zone just a hair right. Woulda been perfectly fine. Live and learn

Any gun qualifies for open. How competitive do you want to be? Your back up could be a Glock 17 with a Burris FFIII mounted on the slide and some 21rd. Magpul mags. At least you keep shooting the match. If you have to go to a back up, your match is shot in the butt anyhow.

Also, you can make buddies that shoot open. Travelling back up gun!

Edited by OPENB

• 11 months later...

Some guys actually buy a new gun as a backup, but I think most backup guns are the former primary guns that took a back seat to the new, new gun, and the old “new gun” is now the “new” old gun. 

The idea of a non-comp'd gun for an Open backup is not a good idea if you are shooting major.

I've been shooting 40 major in Open.  I have a backup gun and I've had to use it in a Level III match.  I just finished building a 9mm Open gun.  I'm halfway through fitting 'spare parts'.  Ejector, extractor, fire control, ambi safety, firing pin and firing spring stop will all be fitted.  They will eventually go into the backup gun I'll build after I finish the 1911 Open gun for steel.  I very much like the idea of an instant backup rather than having to replace a broken part.  That takes time.  Even if the replacement parts are already fitted, by the time you find a safe table, replace the part(s) and return you will have caused a disruption.  Also, I'd hate doing that at 30 degrees.

If I'm just shooting locals, I don't always take my back up gun. Depending on what division I'm shooting I may not have a back up gun.

If you're not in a place to buy a back up gun, I'd consider getting spare parts and fitting them. If you're shooting a 2011 I'd start with a new extractor, firing pin, firing pin stop and all the springs. Then I'd fit a new trigger group, and thumb safety if needed. You could even have a pre-tuned sear spring ready to go. A spare slide stop, is worth having, you could also pick up another barrel link and pin. I've seen those break in a match. A spare Dot is probably worth having, some majors with have a bay you can use to sight it in if you need to switch. All of this could be swapped in the safe area pretty easy if it's already fit to your gun.

Granted at this point a back up gun isn't many more parts lol

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, mlmiller1 said:

Some type of backup gun or parts is in my opinion important to have.  Doesnt have to be an akai(would be nice) but some gun just in case.  If youre a top competitor, sure a matching or near matching gun but really mid range & down can at least finish the game with a gun that works.  Youve probly lost a stage already when gun broke.  Take your other gun & finish the match.  Even a non open non comped non dot gun will get you thru & is ok to shoot in open division.  Will you win?  Probably not but you can at least finish...  

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, OPENB said:

Any gun qualifies for open. How competitive do you want to be? Your back up could be a Glock 17 with a Burris FFIII mounted on the slide and some 21rd. Magpul mags. At least you keep shooting the match. If you have to go to a back up, your match is shot in the butt anyhow.

Also, you can make buddies that shoot open. Travelling back up gun!

Any gun can qualify for open but if it is to be a replacement mid match going from a dot to iron sights could be a problem.  Rule 5.1.7 states that "competitors must use the same firearm and type of sights for all courses of fire in a match..."  In the end its up to the range master if its going to be ok.  The way I read that rule is that even going from an open 2011 to a open glock may not even fly. 

46 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

Please correct me if that is not correct.

I carried my Production gun as my backup Open gun for two years. RM’s always said it would be fine if I needed to switch