Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Ambi or not to Ambi? That is the question

warpspeed

I searched but not very hard so if this has been thrashed out in another thread, point me in that direction :)

Wanted to know everyone's opinion on safeties for the 1911 / 2011 guns.

I have always had ambis but don't remember using them all that much if at all and was wondering if anyone else felt the same. 

So, what do you like and why and for what game/use ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I searched but not very hard so if this has been thrashed out in another thread, point me in that direction [emoji4]

Wanted to know everyone's opinion on safeties for the 1911 / 2011 guns.

I have always had ambis but don't remember using them all that much if at all and was wondering if anyone else felt the same. 

So, what do you like and why and for what game/use ?

Do you ever shoot weak hand only? That is my main reason for using them. It gives my thumb a reference point of where it shoud be and makes sure my meaty hands dont nudge the safety up.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I shoot limited/SS USPSA. I go out of my way not to have an ambi. Ambis break and also get in the way of my trigger finger knuckle. 

People say that you need them for weak hand shooting, but in USPSA you never have to draw weak handed in. You always have it in your strong hand first to take the safety off.

One advantage is that for weak handed shooting, some people can use the right side as a thumb rest to counter recoil, although my thumb slips off.

I took he ambi off mine. I shoot USPSA single stack and only rarely do we have weak hand targets. As I look over the past year out of over 100 stages I can only think of 2 or 3 with weak hand targets. Last one was last match and it was on a classifier and with weak hand I had 3 alpha 1 charlie on the 4 shots required. Single side safety is not an issue for me.

I installed the Harrison TAC TS when I installed his sear/hammer/disconnector. Great parts.

3 gun comp shooter here. Another reason I went non ambi was that when I would throw the pistol in the dump area that it was easily possible that the safety would disengage. With a non ambi I can throw it down on that side without having to worry about the safety which is a big time penalty

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, IsaacB said:

I shoot limited/SS USPSA. I go out of my way not to have an ambi. Ambis break and also get in the way of my trigger finger knuckle. 

People say that you need them for weak hand shooting, but in USPSA you never have to draw weak handed in. You always have it in your strong hand first to take the safety off.

One advantage is that for weak handed shooting, some people can use the right side as a thumb rest to counter recoil, although my thumb slips off.

I've not heard about ambis breaking. What brands?

2 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Never saw a real need for one, but I'm right handed. Even shooting left handed I can flip the safety on with my index finger.

Only time I ever used mine was accidentally bumping it while shooting a stage, and some of them can be a pain when working on the guns. 

I personally find the ambi a safer choice for shooting weak hand. 1. I don't have to turn the safety off until I have full grip & control with my weak hand. (Less likely to AD) 2. When shooting I can have the exact same grip shooting weak hand as I do shooting strong hand.  I only shoot USPSA so I don't worry about stashing the gun during a course of fire like the 3 gunners do.  

Ambi on my STI Edge, a mix of ambi's and conventionals on the various 1911's I have/have had. I guess my vote would be "don't care" as I never saw a need to convert any of my conventionals to ambi......(and yes, I'm right hand dominant)

You have to have a ambi for and action shooting sports.... uspsa, IDPA, IPSC, 3gun and any local bullshit match. It doesn’t matter in any situation you want to be able to disengage with both hands. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, 3gunDQ said:

You have to have a ambi for and action shooting sports.... uspsa, IDPA, IPSC, 3gun and any local bullshit match. It doesn’t matter in any situation you want to be able to disengage with both hands. 

you have to? I don't have one. some top shooters don't use one. I think your post might be fake news.