Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Ambi or not to Ambi? That is the question

warpspeed

14 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Whoever it was I lost respect for him. What the hell sense does that make? I ride the safety. Period. 

have you tried it both ways? Have you won many area matches? Have you observed many top level competitors and determined that they all use exactly the same technique, so only that technique can possibly be correct? (the last question is rhetorical, since we both know the answer).

I'm not a gm (yet), but I used to ride the safety single-handed. now i don't. maybe with a different hand size or shape it would work out better a different way. I don't know about that, I only care what works out best for *me*, which I figure out in practice. Might not be what works best for you. I'm not arrogant enough to proclaim I know what works best for you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I’m not a gm (yet). 

Do you think being a GM makes a shit?

Who was this mystery GM that told your class not to ride the safety? 

6 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Do you think being a GM makes a shit?

Who was this mystery GM that told your class not to ride the safety? 

I think match results make a shit. I think demonstrated shooting ability make a shit. I think in general, people who want to improve keep their minds open, and try different things based on what they observe and experience.

What other point is there in shooting except to try to improve?

Edited by motosapiens

Just now, 3gunDQ said:

Who taught your class?

lol, why do you care so much? No one is saying your way is wrong. I'm just taking issue with you saying only your way is right, especially when there are shooters far better than both of us who use different techniques with success. I already shoot 1-handed with my thumb below the safety, and I personally observed significant improvement in a few shooters who were having trouble when they tried the instructor's suggestion (which he didn't preach as dogma, but simply something to try and see what works, in the interests of avoiding moving the gun with extra pressure on the safety).

Your way is clearly working for you, so no one is suggesting you change.

Edited by motosapiens

The mysterious GM teaching people to not ride the safety intrests me. Your GM  ambition, technique, and opinon of ambi safeties do not.  

Edited by 3gunDQ

9 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

The mysterious GM teaching people to not ride the safety intrests me. Your GM  ambition, technique, and opinon of ambi safeties do not.  

If you want a for example, in Brian's book he recommends that you find what works for you personally, I think that Brian and Rob Latham  (sp ?) tend to grip with the strong hand thumb pointing down range and beside the safety. I could be wrong, came to the conclusion based on pictures of them shooting and perhaps the pictures were outliers (but I think Brian describes his grip in the book, which I would quote if I wasn't on the crapper right now).

16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

yeah, if strong hand rubs the ambi side, it will loosen up pretty quickly. My wife's ended up breaking. luckily we are just running stock edges with kydex holsters (not pretty guns), so I just dremeled the f*** out of the ambi side of another safety that I took off my 1911 because I hate ambi safetys, and used that instead. Now her hand doesn't touch it, so it stays tight. I still hate it.

At least I know it's not just me. It really bugs the shit out of me.

I've considered going to a EGW safety, they look like they should eliminate that problem. Plus I really like EGW so I'm sure their safety is very high quality. But, that's also a $140 just for a safety.